MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Karl let the neighbours use his garden?

Comments

• What bothers me from the dilema posted is the neighbours are continuing to use the garden knowing full well the past owners have moved out. They have just assumed it's fine, which is just rude.

I own a garden flat and like the privacy of being able to wonder round inside my house in my undies etc without worrying if my neghbour will pop down at any minute to hang his washing out. I think I'd say to them that if they have some kind of drying washing emergency just knock on the door to ask but more than that no unless we became friends.
  • ukmonkey
    ukmonkey Posts: 3,024
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    shuey wrote: »
    He should seek to maximise his earning potential with least effort. He should draw up a garden lease with specific clauses in it as to:

- times of useage to determine his / their expected utility
    - required rent (e.g. £5 per week)
    - maintenance of garden - ideally he should maximise his return on investment with least effort but this may have to be negotiated. Also wear and tear on the garden and associated costs need to be taken into account
    - He should look to give them a discount if they pay upfront for the year ie security of garden rent eg, £200 for whole years useage.
    - should think about ancillary issues such as if the garden is constantly in use the building may be less prone to burglars etc

Are you for real?! Please tell me this is a joke...
  • ukmonkey
    ukmonkey Posts: 3,024
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just let them use it, life's too short.

They asked nicely, so let them use it.

God forbid they may actually all get along well, and may even share a joke over a beer and a banger come summer time.

Jeez, what's wrong with people these days?!
  • tim_n
    tim_n Posts: 1,607
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Sooo many variables. If the washing line obscured the view from my window, and being a keen garden I like to look out onto it, I might say 'I'm sorry, I'm taking the washing line down because I'm going to renovate the garden.

If I couldn't see it and it wasn't doing any harm (ie a big garden) or the line wasn't obtrusive, I'd say why the hell not, I mean you can have some real pain in the behind neighbours (I'm currently going through the motions of getting my antisocial neighbour evicted).

Other people suggested 'only whilst I'm at work' and that'd be fine I'd have absolutely no problems with that too. I wouldn't ask for money, it's a greener way of saving the planet - much better than a tumble drier.

Trouble is, I'd probably be using it myself almost constantly!
    Tim
  • I'm sorry but no way. I remember when we bought our first house my young son was playing in the garden & suddenly, this guy appears over a 6ft fence into my garden he then unlocked my gate from the inside and let in another guy and a rather large piece of garden machinery !!!! By this time I had my son in my arms and was asking them what the hell they thought they were doing.

They replied that my neighbour had told them they could have access over my garden as they were at work all day & they'd done it before with no problems :O

Transpires that the people we'd let our house to for 6mths before moving in had made this pact with the next door neighbours that they could climb over the wire fence that the builders had put up.

I was steaming and told them that we now had a 6ft fence with locked gate as I had a 2 yr old and if I ever caught them anywhere near my garden again I would phone the police.

I also had a few words with my neighbour about it who couldn't see where the problem was until I told them that I would be using their garden to let my son play in and have a party in that weekend seeing as they thought the gardens were common property. They soon changed their minds and I never had any more problems. I also got an apology :)

From then on they left a key with me for whenever their gardener was due to arrive. I have also lived in a top floor flat without a garden - I just bought a tumble dryer, washing problem solved :~)
  • I would say no straight away, as I wouldn't dare to ask a new neighbour straight away to use their garden before I have even know them. All you have to do is think would I do this in their shoes and if it's no because you think it's rude/wouldn't even consider it/etc; then they should be asking!!
  • angelique5 wrote: »
    It depends on the rental each tenant is paying I suppose. If the downstairs tenant is paying more specifically because he has a garden then he needs to suggest a contribution from the upstairs tenants but if he was just lucky in getting the flat that leads out into the garden and does not pay any more rent for the privelidge then the garden should, morally speaking ,be shared by all in the property. I actually think it is awful of the landlord if he does charge for the garden to one tenant as it creates a 'didived house ' as it were . If that is the case then perhaps the landlord should be approached with a view to revising the rents.

Not sure I follow this - why does rent and tenancy come into this as the scenario was built around Karl BUYING a flat ? :confused:
  • Kinda makes you wonder why the previous owner moved, don't it!?

:rotfl:
    :money: Dedicated disciple of MoneySavingExpert.com and Savvy MoneySaver :A
    Mortgage Free ahead of schedule November 2008! :T

Calvin (to Hobbes) - "Sometimes the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere is that none of it has tried to contact us."
  • Personally, if they are pleasant and contribute to the maintenance of the garden, I would be ok with them using it. Good for to have friendly neighbours to keep an eye open in absenteeism. However, it may be setting a legal precedent.
    If this guy values his privacy more than getting help with the garden...then he should put a stop to it.:p
  • v_aleri
    v_aleri Posts: 22 Forumite
    If they seem nice reasonable people, then, say "yes". Karl might want to confirm with the previous owner if he doubts. By saying "yes" , he's getting a chance to make friends and have a friendly environment with the neighbour. Which I found it is so much better to be sociable than being isolated. We are social being indeed. This chance to have a good relation with neighbour are so rare these days, especially in a city.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure