PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2013 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• £360 please for me again, as although kids are back at school, ive got an order from Cloud 9 coming at the end of Aug which will be counted in Sep budget, as won't use til end of Sep/Oct ... she just can't deliver this way later on.
    I really wanted to reduce it this month, but only just managing to remain within budget :/
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • lushlifesaver
    lushlifesaver Posts: 2,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Can I please have a target of £100 again in September please!

This is to include:
    Dog food - price has gone up but currently on 2 for £12. Plan to buy 4 bags, 2 from GC budget and 2 from this months slush (will 'claim back' from next months budget).
    Dog treats - less than £1
    Food and household - we have a fair bit in the freezer but will need a small frozen top up, buy salad/fresh usually fortnightly except milk which is a when needed. Not many cleaning bits needed this month.
    Makro shop - currently plan to get the usual 5kg chicken breasts, 2 packs of mince (gives us 6 portions), washing powder (not majorly needed yet but will grab if on at a decent price), fabric conditioner (as with washing powder), toilet rolls (whilst on bogof, one pack for us and one for either set of parents) that will be about £50 but lasts us a quarter so what I tend to do is then split that over the three months budgets (I do it separate to deciding on the monthly target so it determines my budget rather than being determined by it!) - previous budget was £120 per month and I dropped that after a makro shop so will do this one then try to drop the budget to £85/90 for future months! Anything extra from makro (usually crisps/soft drinks/sweets for bf and little bits like that) bf would usually pay for as its him that decides we can't go without *rolls eyes*

Off to draft a meal plan for the next two weeks and finalise my shopping list for Tesco later:)
    Daughter born 26/03/14
    Son born 13/02/21
  • medsdemon
    medsdemon Posts: 761 Forumite
    I'm going to give september a go as failed miserably for August so please put me down for £250 for september . This is a good chunk more but if I can make this target it will boost my confidence to try for lower the following month. I will start on Thursday 28th for a 4 week period.
    This is for a groceries, toiletries and cleaning products and catfood for 2/3 people and a pampered cat. I seem to spend about £40 a month at least on the cats food so thta's a big chunk of money we never had to spend till we took him in. (He is a huge cat ( and not fat either) so eat's large amounts and has a delicate tummy so I don't feed him anything with wheat or cereals in so that means it's all on the expensive end of the spectrum). I've put 2/3 persons as DD is off to uni mid september and I will be sending her with a food parcel and am also not sure how often she will be coming home yet.
    Grocery challenge October: £228.28/£250.00 NSD 4 ( not completed)
    Grocery challenge November : £291.65/300.00 NSD 10
    Grocery challenge December : £0/240.00 NSD
  • Hi All!

I haven't done the grocery challenge in ages - but finances are tight - so please put me down for £250 for September to include 2 adults, 2 children, 1 cat.

Many thanks, & good luck all :beer:
  • Josie73
    Josie73 Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 24 August 2013 at 12:12PM
    Hi everyone, I would love to tag along please. My first official budget will start on the 6th of Sept as I get paid every four weeks & I normally buy the main grocery shopping. I am posting a budget of £200. I'm hoping this will last for 4 weeks. I am fairly well stocked up on most things. I find I do most of my main grocery shopping at Aldi but I also use Farmfoods (haven't for ages but am planning to when I next get paid) B&M & Asda/Tesco for the odd top up & things I can't buy in Aldi. There are my partner & youngest son at home along with eldest boy who will be going back to uni shortly for his second year. So hello & thanks for having me.
  • malamay
    malamay Posts: 793 Forumite
    I failed in August, but will have another go in September, trying to stick to my £150.

I've been ill for over a week, so we've had to throw out things that have spoiled, bought new things Hubbs was able to cook, and he's had extra take aways while I haven't been eating. We also tried out deliveries from an online butcher, which we will do again, and deliveries from companies that meal plan for you, and send you recipes and ingredients. This was a huge waste of money, and as we didn't cancel before we had the first box, we got lumbered with a second :( Easy to spot our failings this month, and I'm sure we'll be back to normal in September!

A big thanks to all that keep these GC threads running!
    Swagbucks Amazon gift vouchers 2014 125/250
    GC October 100.8/150 September 99.36/180 August 178.77/180 June 163.18/180 May 177.89/180 April 160.66/180 March 163.48/180 Feb 154.21/150 Jan 51.65/150
  • xxlouisexx56
    xxlouisexx56 Posts: 2,267 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    I'm going to really challenge myself to £200 for September. We booked a lovely holiday to Portugal and I want to pay it off early and get some decent money for spending and all of us will need new summer clothes to take!
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Please put me down for £250. My month runs from 22nd August to 19th September.

Thanks to all who keep the challenge going:)
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Annie_99
    Annie_99 Posts: 120 Forumite
    Ok Im going to do it this month!!! Ive lurked and tried in the past but havent managed it yet.. So this month Im deffo gonna do it! Can you put me down for £350 please x
    0/450
  • Annie_99
    Annie_99 Posts: 120 Forumite
    Did i do that wrong, I was meant to put figure in red! also how do I put bits on bottom of my post? Like the running total of spends eg £0/350 etc
    0/450
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport