Insurer being awkward about claim

Comments

• Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,206 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    This may be of assistance

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/92/92-insurance-claims.html

Broadly speaking yes they can settle with vouchers for a preferred chain, provided the vouchers are sufficient to buy an equivalent replacement. I'd suggest you ask what specific ring in the F Hinds range they're suggesting as a replacement - and then say why you don't think it's equivalent. A vague feeling that you don't think F Hinds sell very high quality jewellery is probably not enough - like all chains they'll have a range of types of jewellery, some of which are higher quality than others. You'll do better by focussing on why the specific item they're suggesting is not good enough (assuming it isn't).
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Did you get your previous issue sorted?

Do you have a single article limit on the policy? Has the ring exceeded it?
  • FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    What evidence did you provide of the items? IE if you're saying that they're 18 carat gold, have you provided proof of that?

As rs65 has said it could be that you have a small single article limit, or overall jewellery limit on your policy - you need to check those limits.
  • Bath_cube
    Bath_cube Posts: 188 Forumite
    My diamond ring was a one and a quarter carat stone set in platinum my wedding ring also platinum with a third carat of diamonds set into the band all princess cut stones. Earrings in platinum set with half a carat of baguette diamonds in cluster drop style. Therefore I don't think four thousand would be enough
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Did you get your previous issue sorted?

Do you have a single article limit on the policy? Has the ring exceeded it?
  • Bath_cube
    Rs65 to answer your question I checked my policy documents and they state that jewellery and other valuables have a limit of thirty thousand pounds. This is unless you have a higher amount of valuable items beyond this figure you must then inform the insurer of this.
  • Blibble
    Blibble Posts: 503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Who are you insured with? I imagine the 30k limit is a total sum insured for jewellery rather than the most the insurer will pay for one specific item of jewellery.

The 4k valuation may have come about if there is a limit for what the insurer would pay out per single item of jewellery. Whether the ring is worth 6.5k or 50k, the insurer would only pay the maximum per single item.
  • Bath_cube
    I don't wish to reveal who my insurer is thanks. As I said their third party who provides estimates for replacements gave the valuation of eight thousand six hundred pounds to replace the three items of jewellery. They did say the engagement ring could be replaced for six and a half thousand which is about right. Around one and a half thousand for my wedding ring on a like 5 like basis. And around six to eight hundred for the earrings to be replaced. I was informed most stores such as ernest jones or goldsmiths etc have these similar items at the prices they estimated. But as I say again and I'm fed up with repeating myself they have said f hinds vouchers to the value of four thousand have been offered. And this is less than half of the estimate their jewelery valuator quoted them. They want me to get cheap replacements as I don't think four thousand is enough to replace items of the quality and weight of the items. White gold is no substitute for platinum and we are insured on a like 4 like new for old basis therefore they must provide enough for me to be able to purchase items of the same carat metal purity and quality of stone. Not all diamonds are cut the same hence the higher price the same with white gold compared to platinum.
  • paddyandstumpy
    paddyandstumpy Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You're missing the point. Whilst you may have 30k valuables cover, if the single article limit is £1500 per item and you haven't specified the items, all you're entitled to claim is the single article limit per item.

How did you take out the policy? You should have been asked to specify any valuables over a certain amount. If you feel you weren't asked, you should pursue that line of inquiry.

You were only asked who the insurer is so the wording could be looked at and the cover established.

You've come here for help, let us help!
  • Blibble
    Blibble Posts: 503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Bath_cube wrote: »
    I don't wish to reveal who my insurer is thanks.

What do you think we're going to do - call them up and ask for details of "bath cube's" claim?
    Bath_cube wrote: »
    But as I say again and I'm fed up with repeating myself they have said f hinds vouchers to the value of four thousand have been offered.

Nobody is asking you to repeat yourself; we're trying to establish why 4k worth of vouchers has been offered but as you keep repeating yourself we're going round in circles.

We understand you might not fully understand your policy & want help navigating an insurance claim - that's perfectly natural. So actually let folk do some helping.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure