Feb-YOU-ary 2013 - Take your lunch to work thread

Comments

• More savings for me today and am 1/4 way to my target. :D

I am not sure what to make for lunch tomorrow so it may be soup again unless I can muster enough energy to make something a little more exciting.

Am looking forward to warmer weather so I can start taking salads :)

CW
    NSD Challenge 2015: Jan 20 / 20 (2 x 5 in-a-row) / Feb 5 / 12 (4 in-a-row) :D

Lesson learnt from 2012: I cannot be trusted to credit card stooze!

Barclaycard at 2 / 02 / 2015 [STRIKE]£4,600[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£4540[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£4250[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£4000[/STRIKE] £3250 need to pay it off by 08 / 2015 before mortgage completion
  • nyc_451
    nyc_451 Posts: 502
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    For the first time ever...I've made lunch for 3 days!! And it worked out around 1.40 per meal which the cheapest I've ever made...

Reading about meal planning, taking lunch to work, emptying your cupboards etc does have an effect after all. ;)
  • mrsdee
    mrsdee Posts: 555 Forumite
    I love those sesame ryvita things from Lidl (Rivercote brand) and sometimes bring those in to work with some home made smoked mackerel pate. Following recipe makes lots (also good starter if you have friends round as looks and tastes impressive but is v easy to make and cheap and nutritious!!) :
    packet of smoked mackerel fillets (preferably peppered, imo)
    some cream cheese (half fat)
    a dollop of horseradish
    lemon juice

blitz in blender or mix by hand - delish!!!

I bring in lunch every day apart from one day a month (last workign day) when I go out with a colleague from work and we either have nando's or have a sandwich and diet coke in nearby pub. We look forward to it and it feels like a real treat!
    Sick and tired of waking up sick and tired...
    Debt-free, now focussing on being mortgage-free
    MORTGAGE : [STRIKE]Dec 2012 £133,602[/STRIKE]. Dec 2013 £114,092.47 July 2015 £85654
  • mrsdee
    mrsdee Posts: 555 Forumite
    lbnblbnb wrote: »
    I had another bread dough pasty today, really nice. I have some frozen leftover curry and rice so when the boredom hits withe never ending pasties I will take that instead.

ooh please tell me about the bread dough pasty - sounds yum!! I tire of same old bread based sandwiches every day (we have a breadmaker but are not very adventurous with it!).
    Sick and tired of waking up sick and tired...
    Debt-free, now focussing on being mortgage-free
    MORTGAGE : [STRIKE]Dec 2012 £133,602[/STRIKE]. Dec 2013 £114,092.47 July 2015 £85654
  • I've brought another lunch today...6 in a row! :j

I'm disproportionally proud...what would a Nobel Prize feel like?! :rotfl:

That means another £3 saved, although I cracked and bought a small bottle of coke as a treat.

Still proud, though! :D
    Debt: £11,640.02 paid in full! DFD: 30/06/20
    Starter Emergency Fund (#187): £1000/£1000
    3 month Emergency Fund (#45): £3300/£3300
  • lbnblbnb
    lbnblbnb Posts: 567
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    mrsdee wrote: »
    ooh please tell me about the bread dough pasty - sounds yum!! I tire of same old bread based sandwiches every day (we have a breadmaker but are not very adventurous with it!).

I have found the recipe here:
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=2203283
    BUT I just used my breadmaker dough recipe and a pasty filling from River cottage veg everyday as I don't eat meat. I like pastry but it makes me want to go to sleep (?), so I found this much better. I would only do it if I was making the full quantity and freezing them as it is a bit of a faff, but they are lovely. PROOF: I have had a pasty everyday this week and still not bored!
    Grocery Challenge (2 adults 2 kids)
    19th June -18th July £91:15/£150 61%

Save £12,000 in 2013 No. 188 £7382/£12,000 62%
    2013 Frugal Living Challenge
    Debt free October 2012
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Thursday was Boirsin cheese (which I stocked up on and froze while it was half price) and cream crackers from my store drawer, it was smelly and very anti social but lovely!

Last night I made my favourite courgette and salami pasta so had that today and I have another portion in the freezer for Monday. I cooked too much pasta but I found a jar of (only just) out of date pesto so I made another couple of days worth of pasta with that to go in the freezer too.

Well done everyone and long live the store drawer!
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • kittiej
    kittiej Posts: 2,564
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hello everyone.

You all seem to be doing fantastically well :T:T

I must apologise for not being around much lately - I had a marketing assignment to complete for my course so this has been taking up me every waking thought :think: :wall:

I have managed to take lunch every day except Friday when I had a planned treat of curry for my lunch. So now I've got that out of my system I am craving banana sarnies so that's Monday sorted and it does make a nice change from cheese :D

Keep up the good work everyone :j
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts."It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • SmarterNotHarder
    SmarterNotHarder Posts: 250
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edited 9 February 2013 at 10:49PM
    I'm amazed! I got through another whole week! Although I did cave and buy a packet of crisps on Tuesday, my bad :(

However, at an average of £2.50 per day saved and this also meaning I'm not having chips with every lunchtime meal :eek: I'm a very happy bunny!!

I can NOT believe that I've saved £30.00 already! Especially given the £2.50 is a conservative guesstimate and didn't include "full fat coke" days, crisps and choccies or brews from the machine!! (I take my own brew stuff in now too)

Now all I need to do is kick the nicotine habit :(
  • kittiej
    kittiej Posts: 2,564
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Now all I need to do is kick the nicotine habit :(

SNH if you could manage that then you really would save a small fortune and it is better for your health. I wish I could get DH to quit but he doesn't have the inclination.
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts."It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"1 debt v 100 days £2000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure