Say No to 0870!

Comments

• theloft
    theloft Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    START THE CAMPAIGN MARTIN !

It staggers me that these people who obviously have an interest in maintaining the 0870 rip-off have the nerve to say if you don't want to pay the charge don't call them! It is stated over and over that sometimes this is the only way to contact a company, and if they don't have an e-mail and/or fail to reply to these or letters, how else is one supposed to! It is usually their fault as well that we have to contact them. I have tried the 0800 sales call technique and asked to be transferred, but many companies are now aware of this ruse and will no longer transfer you, just give you the 0870 number. STOP THE 0870 RIP-OFF !!!
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • Just read the article and noticed the ref to Carphone Warehouse. My latest bill listed 2 mysterious 0909 premium numbers which cost me over £25. I used their 0870 number to query it and mentioned that I was not in the habit of using any premium numbers including 0870. As a small consolation I was informed that as a Talk Talk customer talking to another Talk Talk user even though it was a 0870 number it is now free.
    The 0909 numbers resulted from my failed attempt to download music from an MP3 site. I had no previous knowledge that internet charges could vary during use. ???
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    here is the "official" garbage from Dixons re my objection.

Just bombard them...

Thank you for you e-mail

I am sorry to hear of the problems you have encountered when trying to telephone
    our Currys store in Ipswich. we are aware lines become busy at certain times, and are making every
    effort to reduce delays to a minimum.
    With regards to your comments about our '0870' IVR telephone system the reason this is in place
    is that you can be directed to the correct department relevant to your enquiry.
    These calls are charged at national rate.
    Please accept my sincere apologies for the difficulties you have experienced in
    this matter.

Kindest Regards

Customer Services
    Dixons Stores Group

:'(

Whilst at the store they refused to give me the normal phone number !!! so their wives are using 0870 too ?
  • I am pleased to hear that Martin is thinking of starting a campaign against the use of 0870 numbers and will offer my full suport with this campaign.

I refuse to buy any products from companies using an 0870 number and perhaps if we all did this, then they may get the message that we are not prepared to let them charge us for the "pleasure" of buying their products.

A few weeks ago, I wrote to the B.B.C. Ceefax and had my letter published on screen about this obscene charge that advertisers make. I have also written to a comuter magazine to complain about the advertisers who want us to pay them to buy their products. I hope my letter will be published as the more people who are made aware of this obscene charge made by companies for buying their products can only do good.

Perhaps if more people refused to buy goods from companies who use the 0870 number, they may eventually get the message that we are not prepared to pay them to buy their merchandise. Whenever I buy products from companies who do not use the 0870 numbers, I always tell them that I am buying their product because they don't rip me off with an 0870 number.
  • System
    Just read the article and noticed the ref to Carphone Warehouse. My latest bill listed 2 mysterious 0909 premium numbers which cost me over £25. I used their 0870 number to query it and mentioned that I was not in the habit of using any premium numbers including 0870. As a small consolation I was informed that as a Talk Talk customer talking to another Talk Talk user even though it was a 0870 number it is now free.
    The 0909 numbers resulted from my failed attempt to download music from an MP3 site. I had no previous knowledge that internet charges could vary during use. ???

It may be that you have downloaded a 'rogue dialler' during your attempts to download mp3 files.

Download and run; http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=tutorial

For more info:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Tech;action=display;num=1086379222
  • System
    In the way of an explanation; You click on what you think may be a link to mp3 files, when in fact, you are downloading a 'dialler'.
    After being downloaded, it breaks the connection you are using and makes it own to an expensive premium number. This and variations of this happens to many people.
    To remove and prevent this from happening, use SpyBot as above and SpyWareBlaster for prevention.
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Both are free programs.
    Consider making a small donation to the developers, if these programs are useful to you.
  • Loopytush
    Loopytush Posts: 37 Forumite
    firestop:

I am not missing any point. As it stand 0870 and 0845 are not premium rate. Regardless of what we think or morals behind it. They have there classification in black and white.

Also with regards to my my comment regarding the flight it is you that is obviously missing the point! What I was stating was that maybe it was not the airlines fault that the flight was cancelled. But yet they still have to pay the staff and the bank charges to give that refund so why shoulf they not make a few extra pence on the 0870 number.

Lets be honest if we stopped such things as 0870 etc etc then that would mean more unemployed which would mean more costs etc to general public in taxes etc.

All I am trying to so say is

a) Firstly we all know what the charges are for the 0870 etc so if we dont want to call them dont!

b) Businesses have the right to make revenue in any ligitimate way and unless they break ofcom guidelines 0870 are legitimate.

c) All the time and resources used complaining about 0870 or even starting a national campaign would be more beneficial in other areas, and probably more effective aswell.

Martin,

This is correct I have known people to do this however most companies have call restrictions on the switch board that stop calls such as PRS, 070 etc where the "Officially" branded 0870 & 0871 numbers are classed as normal calls, so thats where we should hit the companies back, make them call us on one of these numbers.

As I have mentioned before there are many ways for the general public to benefit from these numbers. Although I could I will not advertise anything in here, But if any one wants to know anything they can ask and I will tell. Each individual can benefit in different ways dependant on circumstances.

The point of this being, whilst companies and goverment are using the 087 range to make revenue all the compaining we do would not work. However if these same parties were then hit by the call charges themselves then realistically they would look at rebranding or re-costing the ranges...
  • Loopytush
    Loopytush Posts: 37 Forumite
    Oh look! Just read a few of the posts on this very page tand here is another loophole where many people can reverse the senario on 0870 numbers.

And whats more like all my other suggestions there would be no cost at all but people doing it would make a few extra pence......

LOOK AT THE MATHS

0870 - moaning + common sense + general public = Money

Now the money may not be a lot but it would possibly cover your costs for calling the 0870 range in the future...and best of all it would then make the move to rebranding the 0870 a lot easier
  • System
    Loopytush.
    You are very selective in your reply to my post!!
    I DO know that 0870 nos are NOT 'premium' - I said I WANTED them to be reclassified as such, do you appreciate that difference?
    Then, no answer to my Government 'entitlements' example, and no response to my final example regarding the 'Kittycat' posting??
    Are you really saying we should all feel that it is OUR responsibility to give money to an airline etc when a flight is cancelled? Surely businesses have insurance to cover these eventualities - if not they should not be in business.
    You still keep repeating your mantra "If you don't like being ripped off, don't call these numbers". Fine except - how do you do it for entitlements lines or DVLA? Hop on a bus to Swansea? THIS is the thrust of my argument - CHOICE - give us the chance to use an ordinary number.
    Finally, you keep making the point of the legitimacy of firms covertly making money out of us by using 0870 numbers - WE KNOW that, at present, this is lawful - we are trying to change this situation!!!
  • theloft
    theloft Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Good on you Firestop     With some people that have posted on this thread around, we will soon be using 0870 numbers to call for an ambulance or the police.     Why can't people realise that we object to companies making extra money in this covert way and also, having the nerve to keep you longer on the line than necessary, with all the options and warnings etc.   It is not the few pence, it is the principle that gets us mad!
    START THE CAMPAIGN !!!
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family