PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

porridge in the slow cooker

Comments

• bizzylizzy
    bizzylizzy Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    taylorsmum wrote:
    hi thanks for your replys,

just thought it would be easier to put it on the night before, ready in the morning no hassle

I have tried porridge in the slowcooker and it was horrible! I used the same amounts as I do in a saucepan so maybe that is where I went wrong. I like the idea of coming down in the morning to it all ready too.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    One cup oats, two cups milk, one cup water. Low setting. Job done. ;)
  • bizzylizzy
    bizzylizzy Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    molerat wrote:
    One cup oats, two cups milk, one cup water. Low setting. Job done. ;)

Thank you. How long do you leave it? I know it's "overnight" but some peoples nights are longer than others.
  • I have tried making porridge overnight in the slow cooker and I have to say it was horrible - it went all brown and had a funny sort of taste. The same thing happened when I tried to make a rice pudding in there. Any ideas why?
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • I have tried making porridge overnight in the slow cooker and I have to say it was horrible - it went all brown and had a funny sort of taste. The same thing happened when I tried to make a rice pudding in there. Any ideas why?

me too - it was very gloopy and tasted like glue. I was hugely dissapointed as I thought this would be a real time saver on rushed school mornings!
    :happylove
  • taylorsmum
    taylorsmum Posts: 119 Forumite
    thanks molerat, will try for tommorow morning, fingers crossed
  • Why not soak the porridge the night before and then heat through in the morning. Takes next to no time! The microwave idea is a good idea too if you have one that is!
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    It is important to stir porridge as it gets cooked, to avoid the lumps, so the slow cooker is not the best option for rolled oats.

If you use whole oats, though, they cook very well overnight in the slow cooker (3 cups of liquid to 1 cup of oats).

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    I love it in the slow cooker. Really creamy.
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• Caterina wrote:
    It is important to stir porridge as it gets cooked, to avoid the lumps, so the slow cooker is not the best option for rolled oats.

If you use whole oats, though, they cook very well overnight in the slow cooker (3 cups of liquid to 1 cup of oats).

Caterina
    What is the difference between rolled and whole oats? I have only ever seen rolled oats I think, so where would I get whole oats?
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure