PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3

Options

Comments

• villagelife
    Options
    DFV cars are insured with Admiral on a multicar policy but when sons were first insured when 17-21 then insurance policies with a box fitted were by far the cheapest but definitely not cheap!

1. Met friend for lunch. Had a great time caught up with all her news and the food was good. I will be seeing more of her as she is now back living permanently here. She is happier knowing that she doesn't have to spend time in Florida to be with husband who is know working permanently in the UK.

2. Cheques paid into the bank. Will help slightly with paying car insurance.

3. Spent time in the garden. Weeded and a small area looks good.

4. Watched Only Connect. DH and DS2 were out. DH visited his mum. Means i don't have to for a couple of weeks.

5. Picked DS2 up from a work night out. He had enjoyed himself.
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sorry to read about the flat Kittikins, trust that fate has something better in store for you.

DFV - hip hooray re another series of Father Brown :j re the mantelpiece decs I try to change every Equinox/Solstice, Tilly sees to the spiders, not sure re mouse ( in imagination it does wonderful dropping in on wire to Mission Impossible theme)

Friday pleasures,

A foggy start gave way to a warm, sunny day, 19 degrees.

Doors and windows open plus washing drying on line.

Am convinced that yard lies in own time zone, arrived just after 9, next looked at watch it was nearly 1pm!!

One of my rosemary bushes in flower, whilst nearly everything else is dying back its gloriously blue.

Healthy chicken and couscous supper followed by Twirl chocolate and glass of wine, balanced diet :D
  • 1) A beautiful golden autumn day out there today with sunshine, blue skies and temperatures of 21 degrees, definitely one to be enjoyed.

2) Plummeting acorns bouncing up again as they hit the road, swirls of leaves off the trees as the wind catches them and skittering dry leaves along the road.

3) Shiny conkers also plummeting from the trees and their cases snapping open to spill the glossy treasures inside across grass verges.

4) Met a new dog on the walk this afternoon, a 1 year old Japanese Aikita such a gorgeous girl and so pretty.

5) Rugby on the telly, love the rugby!!!
  • mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just briefly as its middle of night but woken by wayward children coming home .

Up early & took train into city. Walked down by the riverside , just me and the early morning runners & rowers out & about. Was a nice time to be up. I was meeting friends , who were down from Queensland , for breakfast. Their treat. I had a cheese & ham croissant . Then a very nice tart au citron. Wax with them for a few hours then headed home . It was 29o , so hot all of a sudden...but back to much cooler weather again from Sunday :)

Sat in cathedral for a bit. Then sat on steps at Federation Square watching a street performer but it was too hot so I went for train home.

Snoozed.

Dog walked then everybody else was out & about so went to bed.

Then everybody else started coming back in...
  • Kittikins
    Kittikins Posts: 5,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the virtual loveliness, it's much appreciated. I feel better about it now, but having spoken to both DD and KW, they're not yet ready for the 3 of us to be a living together unit. I'm slightly sad but understand that for DD, she's never lived with a chap in her conscious life and so it would be a bit freaky, and for KW, he's aware of the afore-mentioned and wants DD to feel that she knows him better before he inflicts himself on us as it were. He's so perfect *swoon*

1. Had a great Friday, the kids were awesome and we got lots of lovely learning in.

2. Managed to leave school and get to KW's before he finished at the shop. The dhal, sag aloo and cuminy mushrooms were all cooking nicely by the time he got home :) We ate KW-sized portions - no room for pudding!

3. I got the vast majority of my marking done before leaving school (polishes halo). The topic work can be left as I may get them to continue with it this week, so possibly I could stretch the truth a bit to say that I got it all done ;)

4. Bought my favourite Italian crackers for 30p pack rather than £1.20. Nomnomnomnomnom. Other goodies also found their way into my basket on the way to KW's.

5. KW and I started planning our allotment and this morning went to Wilko's and bought some seeds and bits at hugely reduced prices. I'm going to have the area around our future shed for flowers, and have bought stocks, lavender and foxgloves (KW's favourites), as well as nasturtiums, yum!

6. Had my flu jab and, despite feeling rather hot and fevery for about an hour, don't appear to have any further reaction to it.

7. Yummy scrummy veggie brunch at an amazing restaurant in town we were going to buy our flat in. KW enjoyed taking photos of some of the beautiful architecture :)

8. Sunshine!!!

9. Vegan goodies at the inaugural vegan fair in town where KW lives. We picked DD up and hung out there for hot dogs, cakes (DD's favourite) and I tried lots of "cheeses" with varying success.

10. My arnica gel has helped reduce the swelling and pain of a bruise on my leg caused by walking into a table!

11. Transferred 92p into online savings and put some coppers into the pier fund.

12. As DD is feeling poorly with a cold, I'm going to put her £2 match fees for the netball match she won't be going to into the Marmite jar.

Grrr, just realised one of the stall holders at the fair gave me a Canadian $2 coin rather than a £2 coin.
  • Purple_kitten
    Options
    1 Bought in all the line dry things, gathered the clean bits together into piles at least
    2 Bits ordered for DF turned up from George at A, and I’m very impressed.
    3 We took the sewing machine into be serviced and repaired, the people there really liked it, said that if possible they will repair it as they are mainly made in china now, there are good ones but we’d like this one back really.
    4 As we took the sewing machine in we were next to the great town with CS’s and fruit and veg, the CS’s were not fruitful, but we did pick up some household “stuff” mainly cleaning bits and bobs from cheap shops and a bag of fruit and veg. I saw a couple of little somethings I wanted to get DH for Christmas but couldn’t as he was with me.
    5 We stopped in for a caf! meal and she bought us over our drinks before we’d ordered, which she also already knew.
    6 We just had a snack of a grilled blt it was delicious.
    7 I’m not sure if this is a pleasure but all the plums are defrosting waiting for me to turn them into jelly tomorrow.
    All the house cleaning is still to do, it might be done tomorrow, but I always hear my mum’s words of Sundays are a rest day, even though she would often be cooking a full roast.
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,155 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Quick pleasures for today (Saturday)

1) A lie in.

2) Did a bit of tidying and lots of washing, stripped the bunk beds etc.

3) Made 5 portions of soup.

4) My sister, niece and brother in law came round to see the hens. Went down to the allotment and the ex Mr Frith was there (with bigger son) which was delightful...

He had engineered an uncomfortable situation where he has decided bigger son is to have a moped (obviously out of the blue and with no discussion) - and we (me, siblings, my parents) are going to pay for it (!) Apparently he is going to take bigger son to chose it - ahahahahah...

I said he isn't so the ex Mr Frith strode back to his car in a huff. Bigger son then did the usual shouting at me as to how dreadful I am, to such an extent that my sister, brother in law and niece walked several metres away and pretended to be very interested in some trees. Off went bigger son and the rest of my day has been fielding aggressive messages, phone calls, texts etc.

5) No one in my family wants to pay for a moped. Considering his cousin died 5 months ago simply by overturning his motorbike going at 15mph, this is the most stupid idea for a present ever. I checked my car insurance again and it turns out it is only an extra £20 a month to get him put on that, so maybe that will be a solution.

6) Went to a tea party in the village hall after the altercation and that was pleasant and lots of people came to talk to me, including a girl in the year below me at primary school (there were 4 people in my year and 4 in her year so these meetups are unlikely!)

7) Had a Chinese take away at parents'.

8) Spoke to my school friend on the phone.
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 September 2017 at 5:56AM
    Options
    5 bells and wide awake as The Castle of Otranto r4x's its Gothic way into &'s consciousness and ears.
    #
    1. 60 - 10 was a terrific result for us at The Davey Field yesterday, first game on the new 3G pitch. Very different match performance, with new coach/Head/Mgmt in place(mid-week coup of sorts, advised in mid-week email). Better yet, the RFU covered all entry fees, so & put that £5 into usual unsuccessful Club raffle tickets instead).

2. Earlier, identified mystery £5 w/d at town of gown Bank. All sorted. It's a renamed standing order donation.

3. Thanked Library for managing to renew &'s 2 loans via Dansk email. Quickly borrowed one more book.

4. 'Duxford Air Show this weekend' explained another spectator, as various not too distant formations and incredible tumbling aeronautics formed not too distant backdrop to our match. Surreal at times. Apparently, the Red Arrows will perform in today's finale......over this arvo's Colts Festival maybe? There was a long 13 Spitfire 'ballet' yday.

5. Looking forward to seeing some peeps today. Heading out now to early(but still late in booting terms) hunt'n'gather, then back for all age service. Need both:-)
    #
    Frith - we can do nothing practically but listen here. Support and strength and, before too long, post-adolescence clear sight to elder son. The Frith side and your brilliant parenting will win out.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    :mad: on your behalf regarding sheer stupidity of ex Frith eldest will see clearly at some point am sure.

Saturday pleasures,

A lie-in followed by slow, leisurely breakfast, balsamic mushrooms on toast this time.

Worked through mount ironmore and cleared basket, like PK's mama I like to keep sundays free as possible.

Picked up big net of horsey carrots for £1.50, girly was most appreciative. We went out with pal and her horse for gentle meander around fen, it was warm and muggy so regretted hoody top.

Popped into emporium on way home and picked up some YS bargains.

Capt S and I starting colds so pleasure of hot honey and lemon before snuggling up in clean bed, JeromeKJerome ghost stories lulled me to sleep.
  • villagelife
    Options
    Frith - thinking of you. You are dealing with it well.

1. Journey to rugby went well even if it t took 5 trains rather than the usual two due to engineering work. I found a seat on all the trains too. Journey back was easier. There were two boys on my trains going to the rugby. Obviously the first time there had travelled alone to the rugby and they asked where each train left from and you could tell they felt grown up.

2. Chat with a steward at rugby while waiting for DH. He travels from work.
    It was a good match but we lost at least we got a bonus point.
    The boy in front of us at rugby had come with friends who Sat elsewhere as Dad couldn't come. He is so polite and well behaved.

3. Dehydrated mushrooms and some more apples which both worked well.
    I have done apples before. DS2 likes them as a snack.

4. Ironing finished for now. It has also all been out away.

5. Everyone being warm enough so didn't need to tell them not to put heating on but put a jumper or socks or slippers on instead.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback