How much can you save?

Comments

• Wanno
    Wanno Posts: 130 Forumite
    Realised that I will finally have to pay the bill (£2600)for the course I'm doing at the moment. This probably means that I will only be able to save about £500 into the ISA and Regular saver. I was hoping for more. Well I suppose it could spur me on to cut down on expenditure and see if I canrecoup the money from elsewhere!
  • babes21
    babes21 Posts: 1,665 Forumite
    Hiya everyone, mind if i join you?

I'm 21 and ideally i'd like to own my own property for when i reach 25. At first i'm going to set a goal for £10,000 then ideally build that up until i'm in a comfortable position to purchase.

I've just opened a ISA, so to date have £100 in. Next month i should at least be able to put another £400 in, although what with it being so close to christmas, i'll have to see.

Great thread and hopefully we can keep it running until we all reach our targets.

Good luck everyone.
  • Wanno
    Wanno Posts: 130 Forumite
    Hi Babes 21 you're more than welcome to join us. I'll do my best to keep posting the amount and keep it current. I'm 24 and am dying to move out of renting so the quicker that 10,000 mark comes the better. Now just have to stop spending it on rubbish. Sounds like you are on the right track though and with £400 a month going into the savings bank then you should be well on the way to meeting the goal.
  • Mr._H_2
    Mr._H_2 Posts: 488 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I find being a tee-totaller and not having a car really helps with saving :)
  • zag2me
    zag2me Posts: 695 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the advice on the student loans :) I have actually had a change of heart now and am going to put it all into savings instead.

And some encouragement to anyone saving a house deposit. I managed to save £17,500 over about 3 years living with my parents towards my first property. Im posting this message from my couch in that very flat so it is possible!

Keep up the saving.
    Save save save!!
  • save-a-lot
    save-a-lot Posts: 2,809 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi

I would like to join this thread too. This month I have managed to pay in a further £400 into my Halifax Stocks and Shares Investor ISA and I have also upped the direct debit from £50 t0 £100 per month into this. I am not saving for anything in particular at the moment, only an easier life in the future. In this tax year any bonuses or increments in pay, any money at Christmas and birthday will be added to this account in order to try and fill my ISA allowance for this year.
  • kaz250
    kaz250 Posts: 103 Forumite
    Hi ALL,
    Just though i'll see what debt free people are doing with thier money and i stumbled across this great thread. Keep up the saving guys and hope to join you around april next year when i become debt free.
  • babes21
    Wanno wrote:
    Hi Babes 21 you're more than welcome to join us. I'll do my best to keep posting the amount and keep it current. I'm 24 and am dying to move out of renting so the quicker that 10,000 mark comes the better. Now just have to stop spending it on rubbish. Sounds like you are on the right track though and with £400 a month going into the savings bank then you should be well on the way to meeting the goal.

Thanks Wanno, the amount i put into my savings each month will differ, although i'm aiming to put at least a minimum £100 per month in.
  • babes21
    kaz250 wrote:
    Hi ALL,
    Just though i'll see what debt free people are doing with thier money and i stumbled across this great thread. Keep up the saving guys and hope to join you around april next year when i become debt free.

Hi Kaz

I enjoy reading the Debt Free wannabe forum as it teaches me what i can cut back on, their daily and weekly challenges etc help me keep track on what i'm spending my money on, a lot of useful tips and money saving ideas.

Look forward to you joining us and good luck with becoming debt free.
  • babes21
    Just a quick bump to see how everyones doing.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback