PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Changing agent

Hi all,

Last year we started to rent out a house we had been left and decided to use a local estate agent as an "agent". (10% charge which is fine by us). However we have experienced a lot of problems (eg mainly the agent not communicating information, under charging the tenant), and various other "issues" which in themselves are not major, but seem to be happening on a regular basis. We have therefore decided to change agents mid tenancy. Would the current agents be obliged to transfer across their files regarding the current tenant (ie credit checks etc.)? Obviously I do not expect the current tenant to have any extra cost, and ideal none myself. The new agent would then get the ongoing monthly fee.

thanks for any replies
.."It's everybody's fault but mine...."

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    What does your contract say?

and what do you mean under charging the tenant?
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Stubod wrote: »
    Would the current agents be obliged to transfer across their files regarding the current tenant (ie credit checks etc.)? Obviously I do not expect the current tenant to have any extra cost, and ideal none myself.

Why do you need the credit check files? The tenant is in the property, so their past credit quality is irrelevant now. The checks are just to help you decide whether to rent to someone, now there's nothing you can do if you no longer like the contents for the files that you can't do anyway.
    The new agent would then get the ongoing monthly fee.

Check the terms of your agreement with the current agent - it might specify they are due their fees as long as a tenant they found is in occupation (may be negotiable / unenforcible but still check). Also see if you can negotiate a lower fee with the new agent - often this includes a % for tenant finder services but the new agent only has to manage the tenancy ongoing.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    See

* Letting agents: how should a landlord select or sack?
  • Stubod
    Stubod Posts: 2,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    ..ta for the replies. The agreement we have states 14 days notice of termination.

The previous tenant should have paid up to the new tenant moving in (6 month contract, but they left 1 week early and the agent only charged up to the date they left rather than the date they were contracted to...)
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    So you wanted no gap between tenants? What if they had trashed the property?
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,410 Forumite
    edited 4 October 2017 at 1:33PM
    ..ta for the replies. The agreement we have states 14 days notice of termination.

That seems very short. Are you sure that relates to their management service, and not their tenant finding service?

i.e. If they're trying to find a tenant but can't find one, you can give them 14 days notice - then instruct another agent to find a tenant.
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    Comms69 wrote: »
    So you wanted no gap between tenants? What if they had trashed the property?

That isn't what the OP said.

The LA charged the tenant a week less than they should have.

You should really learn to read before replying in that manner.
  • Stubod
    ..Hi Aneary..thanks for clarifying that :) .. and the contract states 14 days notice after 12 weeks, (agreement signed end of last year)...
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    ..Hi Aneary..thanks for clarifying that :) .. and the contract states 14 days notice after 12 weeks, (agreement signed end of last year)...
    Sounds like a typical sole agency agreement for sale of a property, not a tenancy management contract.

However, if you're sure, then fine - give them 14 days notice.

(but still read my guide above....)
  • Stubod
    Thanks G_M... It is a sole agency agreement, but it also includes various levels of service from tenant find to "fully managed". We only have the one agreement and the "14 days" termination is all I can find regarding ending the agreement...but I will treble check!..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport