Weight getting me down

Comments

• meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well stop reading and commenting then.

How do you know they don't?

I agree that it is entirely up to an individual what they want to do.

I don't agree that diets work. In 95% of cases they don't.

Or, if you want me to agree with you, yes, they do work (long term) - in 5% of cases.

Edited to add - As I have said previously, I am not in any way belittling any individual who follows a diet plan.

How do you know that they do ?

You ARE belittling a diet plan that helps thousands of people lose weight, just because you don't agree with the way it works doesn't mean that it doesnt work.
  • Anoneemoose
    Anoneemoose Posts: 2,258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    meer53 wrote: »
    How do you know that they do ?

You ARE belittling a diet plan that helps thousands of people lose weight, just because you don't agree with the way it works doesn't mean that it doesnt work.

No, I am not belittling the individual, I WAS the individual. It's the BUSINESS that is SW (and all of the others) that I have the issue with. Of course people will go where they think is the best thing and I don't blame them.

I know that they do because scientific research shows that 'diets' don't work long term and SW is a diet. Research also shows that for the 95% who regain, they also often end up with disordered eating, like in the rebelfit example I posted.

And yes, it may help people lose weight (I lost weight with them - a few times so I was 'successful'), but how many of those keep it off?? And IF it really did work, why are still in the midst of an 'obesity crisis'. Surely if it worked, people would go once and never need to go again. The whole diet industry model is set up to get people comig back again and again.

And once again, I acknowledge there will be a small minority who keep the weight off. I know it's only anecdotal, but of all of my many friends and acquaintances, most of the female ones have at some point tried dieting (a mix of SW and WW, mostly SW). And I can tell you not one of those people have kept the weight off long term. Not one.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    arbrighton wrote: »
    Not that anyone is hijacking OP's thread or anything....
    I think this disagreement about Slimming World is detracting from the OP's thread.

She has tried SW (and NHS plan) but the problem wasn't that it didn't work but that she didn't stick to it.
    To quote her:
    I tried slimming world and lost a stone but gained it plus extra when I took my eye off the ball.

She hasn't said she's going to try again with SW, she may try the 5:2 diet.
    She's restarted the exercise so hopefully that will help.

Any diet plan may work for some people and not for others.

Can we just support the OP in whatever she has decided to do.....

Thanks
  • meer53 wrote: »
    SW isn't a calorie controlled diet. You don't have to eat Mullerlights, HiFi bars (i find them inedible anyway) you can eat unprocessed foods. It's a personal choice and one that millions of SW members make, just as people who follow other methods do.

Disordered eating is what makes people go to SW, if SW helps them then thats good, as is any type of plan that works for them. It's great the you've found a way of managing your food issues Anoneemoose but SW works for many people too, so knock SW all you like, it's still a much healthier way of eating for a lot of people who have issues with controlling their weight. You sound just as obssessive about your way of eating as any SW member does.

Slimming world most certainly IS a calorie controlled diet. They might not promote it as such, but it definitely is one.
    They say that as you eat better, you will naturally restrict calorie intake, therefore do not have to actively count calories out.
    However, the vast majority of people still overeat calories and therefore don't lose weight on SW.

Slimming world also have their principle all backwards.

Fat is needed for good health. And fat is naturally filling. It stops cravings, it reduced hunger and prevents sweet tooth. Refined carbs, however, are just converted to sugar in the body.
    Plus, their use of processed foods as 'free foods' is just ridiculous.
    Spray fry too is one of the worst things you can put into your body.

SW is a profit driven company who rely on £££'s coming in from vulnerable people.
    Research food, what the body needs. Cut down on refined carbs, increase fat and noone need SW.
  • FBaby wrote: »
    I don't understand that. To me it would be the same than saying that looking at a clock to balance your day is not natural. Doing it excessively isn't healthy, but getting on with life without ever looking at a clock is likely to mean you end up losing track of time.

I see counting what you eat the same discipline. It's not about counting every individual calorie or even every meal, but keeping track of how much you put in your body is a good way of making sure you don't over do it without notice.

Exercising in an interesting point. I know that many people control their weight with exercise. That's never worked for me. I do quite intense interval training 5/6 times a week as well as endurance, but increasing or decreasing how much I do makes no difference. My losing weight/putting on weight is fully dependent on how much I eat. This is probably one area where we are indeed all different.

I think the point is that if we all ate a proper diet filled with natural, wholefoods, our bodies would take care of themselves without any need to count calories or watch anything.
    There would be no hunger, no cravings, no picking, no fancying sweet foods as we would all be entirely satisfied all of the time.

I know I am and have lost 2 1/2 stones in 3 months. I eat tons of fat, no refined carbs, no processed foods etc Only ever eat wholefoods and am completely satisfied without ever counting a calorie or watching for syns etc.
  • Feebie
    Feebie Posts: 58 Forumite
    Another vote for finding an exercise that you enjoy!

I hit a real low last year with respect to weight, body image etc. Started the 'walk 1000 miles in 2017' in Jan and love it. I really enjoy getting out for walks (it's my 'me time') and, whilst I have no idea if I've actually lost any weight (no scales), I look a little slimmer and, more importantly, I feel loads fitter.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    prosaver wrote: »
    you dont enjoy it at the time doing it....when you finish you get chemicals in your brain making you feel happy..Why do you think people run long distances.?

That's other people, not me.

I used to do cross country running. I was in my house team. I hated it before, during and after. Evidently, my brain doesn't produce après exercise happy chemicals.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    JP08 wrote: »
    Seeing the comment about fitness reminded me of a friends dad. He was extremely overweight, and the doctor basically told him to move more and get the weight off or he'd be dead within a few years. He simply started walking every day - doing basically a lap of the town boundaries (a distance that comes in at best part of ten miles). To say that the weight practically fell off him was an understatement - he was visibly reducing week by week. And he enjoyed it - the number of people he met and regularly spoke to, and being nosy about all the changes going on.

That's three hours of walking a day, maybe two and a half for a fast walker and a flat route. I'm not surprised it fell off. A good regime for a retired person but difficult for the OP who I'm guessing is in her 30s/40s.

Walking is good exercise - generally a mile's walk is just as good for you as a mile's run. The only problem is that it takes twice as long, and few of us have the time or patience for two hours of exercise. Couch to 5k is worth a go for anyone who wants to exercise but thinks they can't run.
  • I absolutely love the Zombies Run app :) I'm a sucker for a good story!!

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • That's other people, not me.

I used to do cross country running. I was in my house team. I hated it before, during and after. Evidently, my brain doesn't produce après exercise happy chemicals.

Running is dull dull dull. Repetitive, no brain work involved and actually not all that good for the body long term.

A sport or activity that involves competition, strategy, skill, coordination, a goal is always going to be more involving and more fun and less dull.

Rock climbing, horse riding, racket sports, team sports, martial arts, dancing, skiing, high diving, geocaching, there must be some kind of physical activity you could enjoy!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure