Asbestos Insulation Board

Options
We've discovered AIB in our outbuildings. I think our asbestos removal estimate might climb significantly! Has anyone had AIB removed? How expensive was it? Did they park a decontamination unit outside your house? We're just wondering how much our neighbours are going to talk when we get it done!

Comments

• Alex1983
    Alex1983 Posts: 958 Forumite
    Options
    I worked in a house that had a hot water tank sat on a asbestos board. It was sampled and confirmed asbestos, the customer had a company in to remove it and provide a clean air certificate and it cost £900. It was about 500mm x 1000mm max. I don't know how many quotes they had or if that is the going rate but it seem expensive to me. Hope that helps. It was the Only time I've come across it and had to disturb it so it had to go, why do you want it gone, if it's left alone and not in bad condition it won't do any harm, you can take certain asbestos down yourself, double bag it and take it to your local tip not sure which asbestos but probably worth getting sampled first.
  • Mrs_Imp
    Mrs_Imp Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    Options
    There's a massive difference between asbestos cement board and asbestos insulation board, especially in terms of removal. Cement board is relatively easy, and we were quoted £600-700 to remove what we had if it was cement board. This is about what we expected. The company we chose wouldn't start until they'd sampled the board to confirm what it was. Sadly it's AIB.
    AIB requires a licensed contractor, and workers are only allowed to work on it for 1 hour a week. Special face masks are needed, along with a class H vacuum cleaner. The area may need covering with a wooden frame and plastic sheeting to prevent fibres escaping.
    Our AIB is on the outside of our outbuildings (which are falling down because of rotten wood) and is beginning to disintegrate. We need it gone asap before it gets worse.
  • Alex1983
    Options
    Oh dear that sounds expensive. Best of luck with it, hopefully someone here has had it done and can give a guess at expected costs.
  • brightontraveller
    Options
    Not enough info waste of time guessing those who remove it most aren’t in the haggle game either so irrelevant to an extent if it’s a rip off or not if you want it removed ?

BTW you can do so yourself yes fixing and size limitations etc not sure who told you otherwise but there wrong...
  • Mrs_Imp
    Options

BTW you can do so yourself yes fixing and size limitations etc not sure who told you otherwise but there wrong...

All the regulations I have found regarding AIB suggest that as the work is likely to exceed two hours in duration over a seven day period (this time includes setting up, cleaning, clearing up), and the asbestos is friable, it falls under Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012 and a licence is needed.

Could you point me in the direction of regulations that say I don't need a licence?

Obviously no-one on here can see my AIB, but I'm after people's experience of how much their AIB cost and how involved the process was - eg did the contractors bring a decontamination unit.
  • brightontraveller
    brightontraveller Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    edited 15 April 2017 at 2:54AM
    Options
    Mrs_Imp wrote: »
    All the regulations I have found regarding AIB suggest that as the work is likely to exceed two hours in duration over a seven day period (this time includes setting up, cleaning, clearing up), and the asbestos is friable, it falls under Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012 and a licence is needed.

Could you point me in the direction of regulations that say I don't need a licence?

Obviously no-one on here can see my AIB, but I'm after people's experience of how much their AIB cost and how involved the process was - eg did the contractors bring a decontamination unit.
    Again omitting info the most important part ? plenty of types of asbestos, get test results and post them ditto, pics, dimensions, layout, access, location, size, condition etc you’ll get informed answers If not then pretty much waste of time ?

With regard removal https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Asbestos+Insulation+Board&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=S1TxWKW0PKLHXvOTg_gN#q=asbestos+insulating+board+(aib)
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Check with your local council as some seem to have this service (although mine did not).

I had asbestos cement on the shed roof, and got a few quotes from removal companies, and they varied wildly.

Don't accept the first quote you get, but get at least 3 and maybe even more.
  • Mrs_Imp
    Options
    Again omitting info the most important part ? plenty of types of asbestos, get test results and post them
    As stated in a previous post, we've had it checked and it's AIB

ditto, pics, dimensions, layout, access, location, size, condition etc you’ll get informed answers If not then pretty much waste of time ?

What does it matter what size it is and where it is? I've asked for people's experience of getting THEIR asbestos insulation board removed, not a description on how my AIB is going to be removed.

With regard removal https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Asbestos+Insulation+Board&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=S1TxWKW0PKLHXvOTg_gN#q=asbestos+insulating+board+(aib)

I've done a Google search (step 1 when finding asbestos), and everything comes up with the same answer - we need a licence to remove our asbestos. Please could you link to legislation that says we don't need a licence, rather than a link to a Google search.

See replies in purple.
  • Alex1983
    Options
    Hse site says this

Work on any type of asbestos can be dangerous. However, some short duration work (less than 1 hour for 1 person in a 7 day period, not to exceed 2 hours spent by all workers) for small or minor tasks on AIB can be carried out by non-licensed workers who are appropriately trained.

Short duration work to remove AIB as part of demolition or major refurbishment would be notifiable.

Any work lasting more than 1 hour for 1 person in a 7 day period, or more than 2 hours by all workers would require a licensed contractor.

How much needs coming down, will it take more then 2hrs to remove
  • brightontraveller
    brightontraveller Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    edited 16 April 2017 at 12:01AM
    Options
    Mrs_Imp wrote: »
    See replies in purple.
    You’ve not posted what asbestos is “AIB” if that’s all it says either BS or extremely dubious report, Type of asbestos amosite, chrysotile, crocidolite etc matter ditto domestic, commercial, size, fixing methods, location etc You don’t see the importance of the info s I’ll pass….. Just wasting both our time ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure