Serious debt and dont know where to turn

2»

Comments

• Andy8127
    Andy8127 Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    It could be a possibility yes. At the moment I go to college one day a week aswell, finish my course in June and then should hopefully get a decent pay rise as I'll no longer be a trainee. The uncertain nature of my sons health problems makes it difficult to plan even current work time, and I'm often off work due to his hospital appointments or emergency illnesses. Trying to not make excuses it's just not as easy to do as it sometimes seems
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Well even a small increase could help - what about looking at the Survey sites? You'll never make yourself a millionaire via that route but even if you could clear £30 a month that's your electricity bill covered, isn't it.

I take it you're not still using the Credit cards by the way? If so, you really have to knock that on the head immediately.

On the food front if "most of the time" it's just you rather than the kids as well you can definitely knock a chunk off that. start noting everything you're spending there, meal plan, cook from scratch and shop with a list drawn up from your meal plan. Start your challenge with a determination to spend as little as possible for the first few weeks as this will force you to use what you already have in.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Andy8127
    First Anniversary
    I could definitely do surveys, do you have any info on where to find them or is it just a case of googling paid surveys ?
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,360 Forumite
    There's a section on one of the boards here - I think it's on "boost your income".

Have a look at Scott Weiland's diary on the diary board - he's the font of all knowledge on the various sites.

I find OnePoll pretty good - although it takes a while to get to payout the surveys are short.
    Opinion Outpost pays out at £2.50 so it's great for making small additional payments to a debt.
    Prolific Academic is working well for me at the moment but you do need to be in a position to regularly refresh your browser through the day as there's only a short window of opportunity for each study on there.

There are lots more too - YouGov is a reliable payer although again it takes a while to get to payment level. Personally I'd avoid Toluna - takes FOREVER to get anything worth having!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,216 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    There's loads of info on surveys on the Boost Your income boards on here but off the top of my head

Surveys
    Pinecone
    Prolific Academic
    Populus
    MyOpinion
    Panelbase
    Valued Opinions

Also Mystery Shopping
    Red Wigwam
    Marketforce
    GrassRoots

And the GPT (get paid to) sites
    Neobux
    Swagbucks
    Instagc
    Clixsense

They all take time and pay out in small amounts but will help you bring in some additional income. If you can commit regular time then there are also working from home jobs available from companies such as Lionbridge - again there are threads on the Boost Your Income boards.

Good luck.
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00

LD 11.24 £500.00/£330.00 (66%)     INS 12.24 £600.00/£000.00
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£062.00 (13%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£025.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£083.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0600.00

• Andy8127
    First Anniversary
    Thanks so much ��, I'll take a look as soon as I get home from work tonight
  • Andy8127
    First Anniversary
    When people say it takes time to get to payout, do you mean they're slow to pay or you have to complete a certain amount of free surveys before you earn a payout level whereby you start getting paid for surveys....I'm sure it'll all make sense once I look into it
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,376 Forumite
    edited 16 March 2017 at 5:29PM
    Andy8127 wrote: »
    I could definitely do surveys, do you have any info on where to find them or is it just a case of googling paid surveys ?

Mostly they will enable you to cash in the odd Amazon voucher or the like but You Gov is your best bet for cash, I average a £50 bank transfer every six months or so, be happy to PM you a referral code if you would like.

I use

You Gov 6-8 months for £50 cash
    Power of Opinions points for vouchers
    newvistalive £50 cheque but takes about 12+ months
    Ipsos Isay points for vouchers
    Maximiles Panels points for Vouchers
    Pinecone Paypal transfer after each survey

I have to say that I think some of the suggestions on her are a bit harsh given your circumstances, although I appreciate they are well meaning. If you end up going down the DMP route you need to make sure you change that SOA before you share any info with Stepchange or the like. You are entitled to live a decent life with your sons when you have them, not having to scrimp every penny.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I agree with other posters who suggest contacting your creditors and explaining you are struggling and negotiate lower fixed repayment plans with them. You might find they will freeze the interest. It might impact your credit file but is that a huge deal to you? For me I decided to take a hit on my file in order to get in control. I would say from experience not to offer your last penny because if something unexpected happens ( you need a new tyre / the fridge breaks etc) and you miss a payment, some creditors will then get nasty / refuse to negotiate with you again. Whatever happens take care of your rent and council tax first and never get behind on those.
    See if you can get extra work. A few hours in a local shop of an evening or delivering leaflets after work / weekends. It won't be forever. Also have a look at Dave Ramsey debt free screams on YouTube its really inspirational.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure