Everything & Anything New York City

Comments

• Duckyduck
    Duckyduck Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    19lottie82 wrote: »
    I promised myself we wouldn't go back after the combination of high costs and the poor pound, but we've had a bit of a windfall so I have promised we will take the kids (13/17) in December.

Is there such a thing as a decent sit down restaurant in manhattan (ideally midtown but if not, not important) for a reasonably priced meal? Ie 2 courses plus a drink each for 4 people for under $120 before tax and tip?

Or am I dreaming?

Thank you

Lottie

$30/person is a pretty midrange budget, there will be plenty of choice.

As an example Olive Garden is considered to be a "nice" chain restaurant, and even at their Times Square location you'd be looking at around $35/person for 2 courses and a drink. Everything in Times Square is over priced, walk even just a block from tourist hotspots and you'll easily find somewhere reasonably priced. If you're a foodie you might be better checking trip advisor or yelp for reviews/recommendations.
    Save £12k in 2019 #36
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    edited 10 March 2017 at 9:50AM
    Based on my last 2 recent trips it's not quite that simple!

Starter $9

Main $15

Drink $6

You just have to stick with your budget.
    Most menus are online so look at their website before you go.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Bizarrely enough I do know how to count, add up and also browse the Internet!

I'm just asking for suggestions of where to eat within my budget.

I'm guessing you can't assist?
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Maybe try Applebee's:
    Web site https://www.applebees.com
    Map of locations https://goo.gl/maps/ozKBNZ2U1x72

Or for a good burger, Wendy's:
    Web site https://www.wendys.com
    Map of locations https://goo.gl/maps/HnRNemNKSUK2
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    ....I'm just asking for suggestions of where to eat within my budget....

That wasn't your first question, you implied something wasn't possible, it is, so carry on with your search. Start with google maps and look at restaurants near your hotel to save needing a cab or metro back after your meal.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • 5 Guys ! You even get free peanuts !

Cofion
    David
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 March 2017 at 9:03AM
    6 weeks today and I'll be back in New York. 2nd time for me and I can't wait to arrive in NYC, step out and 'smell' New York again.

Looking forward to a more relaxed visit. 5 full days and I want to walk the high line, bike central park, check out World Trade Centre, book a show (Charlie and the chocolate factory is full for my visit....) and do the Grand central audio tour.

So excited. I'm currently looking for a show to watch, a nice place for an afternoon tea or lunch and 'unusual things to do'. I'm trying to pin point a good speakeasy restaurant too.

Happy planning folks!
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • srisport
    srisport Posts: 198 Forumite
    74jax wrote: »
    6 weeks today and I'll be back in New York. 2nd time for me and I can't wait to arrive in NYC, step out and 'smell' New York again.

Looking forward to a more relaxed visit. 5 full days and I want to walk the high line, bike central park, check out World Trade Centre, book a show (Charlie and the chocolate factory is full for my visit....) and do the Grand central audio tour.

So excited. I'm currently looking for a show to watch, a nice place for an afternoon tea or lunch and 'unusual things to do'. I'm trying to pin point a good speakeasy restaurant too.

Happy planning folks!

Im going to New York on the 12th - 21st April, and we are planning something similar to you.

Where are you looking for booking tickets to a show if you don't mind me asking?

Rergards
  • TAZ
    TAZ Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Bizarrely enough I do know how to count, add up and also browse the Internet!

I'm guessing you can't assist?

we ate at brazil brazil in the restaurant district it was lovely as as we were two small eaters they even split our dish.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g60763-d1368037-Reviews-Brazil_Brazil-New_York_City_New_York.html
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    srisport wrote: »
    Im going to New York on the 12th - 21st April, and we are planning something similar to you.

Where are you looking for booking tickets to a show if you don't mind me asking?

Rergards

First time I booked direct to watch Lion King. This time I will probably do on the day as the isn't a stand out show I REALLY WANT to see. Other than Charlie and that is full.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure