PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Easy Peasy recipe ideas

Options
I need to start eating - and shopping and cooking better, for our health, as well as our budget. So looking for some simple recipies to get me started. I have a good basic store cupboard, good selection of pots, pans, utensils, all the usual kitchen set up.

Ideas please

Comments

• FrugalinShropshire
    Options
    My basic starter meal would be a wholemeal pasta with a tomato sauce made with a cheap tin of tomatoes and any veggies you have to hand (courgettes, onions, peppers etc) and them toss in some split red or green lentils for protein. Simmer for about 20 mins and pour over pasta and garnish with a sprinkle of grated cheese.
    Now Mrs FrugalinShropshire:T Proud to be mortgage and debt free:j
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Home made soups are nutritious and nicer by far than anything ready made. Easy as pie just fry off an onion in some butter until it starts to go transparent then add your veg (anything you like, a single veg or many different types) and fry it gently for a few minutes then add in some stock made with cubes (I use oxo as we like the flavour, mostly the chicken ones with veg) some dried herbs/spices if you have/like them, bring to the simmer and cook until the vegetables are soft and cooked through. Leave it to cool for a few minutes then liquidise it to smoothness and add some milk/cream and seasoning to your liking and you will have nice food for pennies. I love 'bottom of the fridge soup' which is made with the halkf carrots and bendy veg of this world from the drawer in the fridge at the end of the week. Infinite variations of flavour as I never have the same veg twice , can be used, fridged for tomorrow or frozen for next week.
  • Nomoonatall
    Nomoonatall Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    Options
    Stews are great, veggie or otherwise. You can also condense them and make pies! Win win! x
  • Slowly57
    Slowly57 Posts: 353 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    2022 | Back to the fold - need a Money Saving mojo reboot!

Grocery Challenge JAN 2022 £200/£185.00 left!
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    One of my favourites that I have mentioned already on another thread is flapjacks, with dried fruit & even some choc chips added. A sweet treat that stops you reaching for biscuits & sweets.
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    You've come up trumps again slowly57. Great links. I know what my reading in any spare minutes will be today
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • BrokenBetty_2
    Options
    Day off tomorrow, so will have a go at soup, and tomato pasta sause - couple of dinners worth for the next 2 days, and a freezer stash.

How do you make flapjacks? Oats, melted butter, honey plus extras like raisins and choc chips?
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good old fashioned Irish stew?

This weekend lidl has meat balls for £1. Make your own tomato sauce with tinned toms and whatever veg you want, serve on pasta or noodles, really cheap and filling

They have pork stirfry on special as well this week, stir fry for a minute or two with a bit of garlic and shredded ginger, add shredded leeks, peppers, mushrooms, cabbage even, then add a tablespoon of soy, tablespoon of rice wine , pinch of sugar, pinch of pepper, serve with boiled rice

Spanish chicken - new potatoes, skin on chicken thighs, chorizo, onion. A wee dash of oil in a roasting tin, turn the chicken in it to coat , half the pots and tip them in. Add some chunks of chorizo, add a chopped onion and slam in the oven for an hour, stirring once or twice
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    One pan macaroni cheese:

Boil the macaroni in the a non stick saucepan for 10 minutes (or according to recipe). If you want to "tart it up" cook some thinly siced onions, sliced red pepper or some frozen peas in the same cooking water.

Drain when cooked. Return to pan. Add a generous amount of grated cheddar in and stir well. Also a dob of tomato purree of tomato ketchup if you want ro add some more colour. If you don't have some chopped parsley to sprinkle over for garnish, a finely shredded lettuce leaf will do equally well!
  • helcat26
    helcat26 Posts: 1,119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You cannot go wrong with Italian - but maybe I am biased
    Start with cooking shop bought filled pasta in butter and sage.

Then make your own pasta 100g semolina, 100g plain flour, 3 eggs
    Put ricotta in it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family