Jealousy of Motability car

After fighting the Atoss (Don't Give ATOSS) and DWP for Over 18 months

My Wife was finally awarded PIP at the Enhanced rate
my local council told me first by issuing me a new Council Tax Bill

anyway we got the ok for the new car finally great news our car died on Saturday :mad:

I heard from a close friend that "Friends" of ours are wingeing about how "Lucky" we are we got a "Free" car

Has anybody else experienced jealousy like this?

Comments

• Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Yes, I know some people who were envious when our disabled son was awarded HRM DLA and we opted to take that as a brand new Motability car.

They soon felt guilty and went quiet when I responded by saying that we'd happily give it up if only our son didn't have his disabilities.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • ingey.uk
    ingey.uk Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes, I know some people who were envious when our disabled son was awarded HRM DLA and we opted to take that as a brand new Motability car.

They soon felt guilty and went quiet when I responded by saying that we'd happily give it up if only our son didn't have his disabilities.

I feel exactly the same we both had well paid jobs before my Wife's Amputations thanks Tigsteroonie :)
  • atolaas
    atolaas Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    You shouldn't be made to feel guilty because you have a mobility car. Clearly you've been through a long struggle to get the benefits that your wife is entitled to. That "free" car has been paid for in sleepless nights, stress and anxiety going through ATOSS.
    SPC7 ~ Member#390 ~ £432.45 declared :j
    Re-joined SW 9 Feb 2015 1 stone lost so far

Her Serene Highness the Princess Atolaas of the Alphabetty Thread as appointed by Queen Upsidedown Bear
  • NeverInDebt
    NeverInDebt Posts: 4,634 Forumite
    Petty some people really are. For a start the car is leased and not yours but they don't know that they probably read the Daily mail tripe and think you can get all sorts of benefits. They probably begrudge you have a blue badge too. I am sure most people would gladly give there new car up if they could only walk without any difficulty
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,596 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    People get blinded by jealousy, all they see is the "free" car/ ££ people get in benefits.

What they totally fail to comprehend is why those things have been granted in the first place. And what they are used for.

I've had (ex) friends tell me how lucky I am to be at home most of the time. For them a day off is a time to relax from work, have fun, chill out etc.

Couldn't be further from the reality of my days at home!
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I was once told I'm lucky I don't have to work. Er, no. It's that I can't work.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    People get jealous over the stupidest things.

We have been allocated two black bins due to DD's condition when we moved we brought one with us from the old house, our neighbours have made many comments and have even rung up the council to see if they can have another one because we have one !!!
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    Petty some people really are. For a start the car is leased and not yours

I don't think that owning the car is relevant. It's the fact of being able to use a new car and not have to pay any finance, road tax or insurance.

I would not begrudge anyone with a disability to have what support and help they need. But what irks me is seeing the less than disabled getting the same benefits.

Maybe I just don't understand, or are cynical.

A relative of mine has a Motability Ford Galaxy. He is apparently disabled, yet can carry a washing machine into his house one day and work underneath their motorhome, yet needs a free car.

A lady down the street has one. Yet is well enough to wash it almost every other day.

I think that is why people wonder sometimes ?
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    N9eav wrote: »
    I don't think that owning the car is relevant. It's the fact of being able to use a new car and not have to pay any finance, road tax or insurance.

I would not begrudge anyone with a disability to have what support and help they need. But what irks me is seeing the less than disabled getting the same benefits.

Maybe I just don't understand, or are cynical.

A relative of mine has a Motability Ford Galaxy. He is apparently disabled, yet can carry a washing machine into his house one day and work underneath their motorhome, yet needs a free car.

A lady down the street has one. Yet is well enough to wash it almost every other day.

I think that is why people wonder sometimes ?
    Well said! I completely agree with you. Those that have it and don't need it ruin it for those that really do need it. I've seen people i know who "claim" they have a disability get out of a car and run. I struggle to walk a few steps and only managed to get standard for both parts. The system is so wrong!
  • Those who cheat the system give everyone a bad name, but there are hidden disabilities, and there are people who have good days and bad days.

My son has Down's Syndrome and numerous medical problems. He has a Mobility car, yet he can walk. However, he was awarded HRM because he cannot walk without pain and breathlessness. Others can't see the pain that he feels due to his hypermobile joints. They don't see his exhaustion, although they can hear his ragged breathing if he walks too far. They do see his wheelchair, but I have been asked why he needs it if he can walk.

Now, I am lucky because at least my son has a visible disability and people do tend to be more accepting. I have friends whose children look 'normal', but who have mobility problems that are not immediately obvious. In fact, their disabilities are not visible, until you speak to them, see them have a meltdown, or watch the odd way in which they walk.

So yes, there are people out there who are jealous of you getting a 'free' car, just as there are people with Motability cars who do not appear to need one. For those who are envious (and after all, that is what this thread is about), few would want to accept the disabilities that lead to the award of HRM. Fewer still would want their child to have those disabilities.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure