How can I find out if a mobile phone is stolen?

I would be grateful if someone could please tell me how to find out whether a mobile phone has been stolen?

Comments

• banger9365
    banger9365 Posts: 1,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    there or their,one day i might us the right one ,until then tuff

• If it has been stolen then it will usually get blocked so you cant make or recieve calls or texts, you can check the IMEI number on this site and it will tell you if it has been blocked or not.

http://www.amta.org.au/default.asp?Page=405
  • If it has been stolen then it will usually get blocked so you cant make or recieve calls or texts, you can check the IMEI number on this site and it will tell you if it has been blocked or not.

http://www.amta.org.au/default.asp?Page=405[/quote]

That's great and it said it's unblocked. I had this used phone as a present and it has no SIM and a display saying emergency calls only. It's an NEC e616 which was a dedicated 3 network phone.

When your link said it was unblocked I put my Vodfone PAYG SIM in but got a message saying to please insert the correct USIM card.

I would like to use the phone so what can I do please?
  • firstly a barred phone will send texts, as the text system does not sheck IMEI numbers.
    bldrjms wrote: »
    I put my Vodfone PAYG SIM in but got a message saying to please insert the correct USIM card.

"insert the correct USIM card" indicates a locked phone, the phone may or may not be barred, the only way to check for sure is to make a call from an active 3 SIM card. these online registers are good indicators, but are slow to update, so it is posible for a phone to be barred and not show on these lists for some weeks or even months.
    «◊» PRO UNLOCKER «◊»
  • INFORMATION ABOUT BARRED MOBILE PHONES
    Q: What is a barred , blocked phone?
    A: A stolen or lost mobile phone and useless.
    Q: How does a mobile get barred or blocked?
    A: When a person buys a Pay As You Go phone, or gets one free, or cheap on a contract or pre-pay tariff on any network and the person either:
    1. loses their mobile phone and reports this to their service or network provider.
    2. has their mobile stolen and reports this to their service or network provider.
    Q: What happens when a mobile phone is reported lost or stolen to their network?
    A: The network provider then puts the serial number (the IMEI number for the phone) on a shared blacklist database. This list stops any phone on it from registering on any network. The phone is now no good to anyone; it should not be bought for spare parts and it is a criminal offence to handle it. If you find such a phone it should be handed in to the police so that it can be returned to the owner as he or she may have some important numbers, text messages or pictures in the memory of the mobile phone.
    Q: How do you find out if a mobile is barred or blocked?
    A: Common symptoms of blocked stolen or lost mobile phones are:
    T-Mobile & Virgin Mobile

When a SIM is inserted in the phone it will seem as though the mobile is working and will show that you have reception on the network.
    However if you try to dial out although it will seem that the call is going through, you will hear a number unrecognized tone.
    If you were to dial the number of the SIM card you entered, the mobile would not ring when called.
    Vodafone

The phone will again show reception but when an outbound call is made it will repeatedly fail. You will only be able to send text messages.
    Note: Sometimes a phone will work on the Vodafone network for calls going out but the SIM will be barred after a while.
    If you check it on other networks you can find out if the phone is barred as it will display the symptoms described for the other networks.
    O2 & Orange

On O2 and Orange the SIM will say simcard registration failure, will have no reception and no network operator logo will appear.

Q: What should I do if I buy a second- hand mobile?
    A: Check to find out where the second- hand or new phone you are buying has come from and whether the phone is on a contract or Pay As You Go. It's common for people to abuse the insurance on their phone by selling it, then later on reporting it as stolen. That way they get a replacement phone whilst the person they have sold the phone to loses out as their phone will be barred and blocked.
    Make sure that if you buy a phone you register the phone with your network provider as if the phone gets barred at a later date you are mostly covered. Unfortunately there isn't a database that allows the public to call up an automated service and check if the phone has been barred and where the phone originated from.
    Q: Is changing the IMEI the same as unlocking?
    A: Mobile networks often lock handsets so that they are only able to operate on specific networks. The unlocking of handsets to allow them to operate on any network is not against the law and is not the same as changing the IMEI.

NOTE: this is a cut and paste from MY OWN web site and therefore does breach any copyright
    «◊» PRO UNLOCKER «◊»
  • bldrjms wrote: »
    If it has been stolen then it will usually get blocked so you cant make or recieve calls or texts, you can check the IMEI number on this site and it will tell you if it has been blocked or not.

http://www.amta.org.au/default.asp?Page=405[/quote]

That's great and it said it's unblocked. I had this used phone as a present and it has no SIM and a display saying emergency calls only. It's an NEC e616 which was a dedicated 3 network phone.

When your link said it was unblocked I put my Vodfone PAYG SIM in but got a message saying to please insert the correct USIM card.

Thanks for the useful link.

I took this phone to a 3 store and got a 3 SIM which they installed and although the phone is fully charged and appeared to work they could not make any calls as the buttons would not depress. The store refunded me the SIM voucher as they thought this indicated the phone was barred and useless.

I later telephoned 3 and they checked the IEME and told me it is not barred and should be fine.

Has anyone any ideas about this please?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport