which type of carpet is best?

I have all hard flooring downstairs and i dont think this is helping with me feeling the cold so after a long debate I have decided tyo get the living room carpeted but it is just so confusing!!! thought you guys may help me please??

I am having to take the laminate up and the base will be concrete. Went into a big carpet superstore last week and told them of my dilemma and what I thought i wanted and was told straight away not to have wool but go straight for polypropelyne. I chose one and they were supposed to come and measure at a certain time span but didnt so am now looking at a smaller family run shop again locally.

They have told me different!!! they said to go for a wool/pp mix !

Whats the best? I am willing to spend no more than £20 per square m for carpet which at the first shop would be about £600 for the room with underlay and fitting.

I live by myself so have no small children making it dirty although my son does occ bring his dog round! I would like a fairly pale carpet if poss. Was advised in both shops to have a short twist pile either with flecks in or without but am confused about the carpet content.

the one I was going to have was pp and it stated that it could be cleaned with a bleach solution which sounded good . basically I want a carpet that wears well, doesnt stain and looks good. I know I am after the impossible and if I were to spill a cup of hot coffee it would stain no matter what but wanted people opinions on what to get or what to avoid.

Comments

• adandem
    adandem Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    We've had a wool/pp mix on our stairs for a few years and it's hardly worn at all.
    I'm not sure what styles you like but mine is like these kind:
    http://naturalcarpetsltd.co.uk/Carpet_Ranges/Wool/Large%20loop/index.html
    One thing I like about it is it's dead easy to keep clean/vacuum. Also, the pile doesn't flatten which I used to get alot when I had wool twist carpet, especially if you want to move furniture etc. or in a high traffic area.
  • mrs_baggins
    mrs_baggins Posts: 1,290 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    not really bothered how it feels really. just want hard wearing and good looks!
  • TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    80/20 wool mix. 80% wool, 20% other (nylon, polypropolene, polyester, etc.). Twist pile. Very hardwearing and suitable for general/heavy domestic situations. Heather shades look like this Acton Berber (first picture). We have something similar. Subtle variations of colour wont show up bits on the carpet. Would definitely have it again.

Shorter pile will not flatten and keep it's good look for years.

We had this one in hall/stairs/landing in Bark colour. Looks lovely but on the stair treads and some doorways we are getting indents of footprints as the pile is a bit longer but it's been down about 3 years. The lounge one is a shorter pile and has been down longer and still looks like new. We had a slightly longer pile in the lounge before and got a "track" in the carpet where most foot traffic was, i.e. from chair to door which showed up quite badly in a certain light.

One thing we have done is to not wear shoes inside. Important if you want a light colour. We take shoes off in hallway. That has made a big difference. Carpet doesn't get so dirty and doesn't wear so much. Shoes pick up sharp pieces of grit, dirt, etc. outside and this will wear carpet out much quicker.

Hope that helps.
  • mrs_baggins
    mrs_baggins Posts: 1,290 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    hanks both for thr replies. I think I have finaly made up my mind, its a 60oz short twist pile 80/20/ But going to one shop today to make sure!
  • TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Very nice Mrs Baggins! 60oz - ooooh! We've had 50oz and that was lovely, so 60oz will be super. You don't happen to have a link to it, or make/name, do you? I have a whole house to carpet when we've finished renovating.
  • We are looking for a plain carpet with specks to put in the lounge, diningroom, hall, stairs and landing. We have no children but a border collie dog. What should we get. Have considered 80/20 wool or the stainfree tweed.
  • ds1980
    ds1980 Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    just commented on anothe rpost, we have cormar carpets 60oz town and country. Really bloody good stuff!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure