~Avon Hints & Tips (Part 8) ~ Please read first post :)

Comments

• 69chick
    69chick Posts: 544 Forumite
    fuddle I feel exactly like you am on edge when putting the books through, did my first drop and took the kids with me and they posted the books lol (only because they wanted to!) I think we need to push ourselves to do it, I am sensitive too, but the more we do it hopefully our confidence will grow, we are only offering Avon which I think is good value for money and in the past I have ordered from someone who posted a book through...:)
    Starting with Avon C6 target sales £150.00
  • lozza1985
    lozza1985 Posts: 3,373 Forumite
    Least you know not to bother taking to them again.

If the books aren't out, you could make some other notes to pop through, something along the lines of

I called to collect the avon brochure, if you could put it out for collection tomorrow I would be most grateful.

I've found notes like these get most books back (when you put an order in you can order things called calling cards from hello tomorrow which do much the same thing).
    Avon Lady since 2009 - I help on the Avon hints & tips thread to help other reps/new sales leaders as I was helped so much by it when I first started out :A
  • Mumto2
    Mumto2 Posts: 1,348 Forumite
    Fuddle - you're not alone! I'm as nervous as anything - still am & being doing it nearly a year!

Invest in the pink Avon calling cards. If someone hasn't left the book out, I just pop one of those through and come back later.

Good luck & hang in there, most people are really lovely
    Now proud Mumto3 :j
  • PurpleJay
    PurpleJay Posts: 526 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 March 2012 at 10:42PM
    Fuddle, try not to worry you have got this far and if you can stick with it it will do you the world of good!

I am a bit of a scaredy cat but I am also strong willed and stubborn and like to push myself - a bit of a contradiction maybe but still :D

I always feel great when I have done something that makes me nervous. Maybe I was an adrenaline junkie in a former life - definately not this one :o

I am almost at the end of my first proper campaign and just have a few books to pick up. I have taken the stuff and run approach and my heart sinks when there is someone in their garden lol! I smile and say "Hi (morning/hello), sorry to bother you, would you like to see and Avon book?". Most of these have said they get a book from elsewhere and I have said 'thanks anyway, I will make a note for next time'. Or if collecting..I smile and say "Hi, sorry to bother you, I left an Avon book the other day...." at which they will go "Ooh yes, just a minute" and fetch it for me. Keep smiling - it is hard to abuse someone who is disarming and not pushy. Of course time will tell if this is the way to get sales, I am hoping for people to get used to seeing me and then get the chance to chat more.

It has been easy really. I haven't had any abuse but then I haven't done much door knocking. If I do knock to collect I only do it once in case they are busy/ignoring me. I usually try again the following day with some success - people just forget. I will use the calling cards next campaign to make sure I get more back.

Feel the fear - I reckon it will get easier :)

Good luck. It's great when you get an order isn't it :j
    'Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain'
  • Squidge123
    Squidge123 Posts: 491 Forumite
    I've just joined Avon to give it a go. I was going to go with Body Shop but was kind of put off by the 4 parties in the first 4 weeks of joining part.

I have my 20 brochures and I have my territory and some people at work who wanted to see a brochure. My territory gives me about 130-something houses but I only have 20 brochures????

Also has anyone bought the starter bag and is it worth it?
    DEBT TOTAL: £7609.44
  • lozza1985
    melvis wrote: »
    After 3 and a half years, I am finally giving up Avon after C6. I can't take them losing my returns anymore :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: xx

Aww thats a shame, I know I've had a few things recharged lately but then when I email they magically find them!

Don't forget you can just be a 'personal rep' ordering from ht and get the cheap prices if you want to, at least if you're ordering for yourself you wont end up with many returns! :)
    Avon Lady since 2009 - I help on the Avon hints & tips thread to help other reps/new sales leaders as I was helped so much by it when I first started out :A
  • lozza1985
    Squidge123 wrote: »
    I've just joined Avon to give it a go. I was going to go with Body Shop but was kind of put off by the 4 parties in the first 4 weeks of joining part.

I have my 20 brochures and I have my territory and some people at work who wanted to see a brochure. My territory gives me about 130-something houses but I only have 20 brochures????

Also has anyone bought the starter bag and is it worth it?

Yep 20 brochures is right for your first campaign, don't panic you'll get round your territory quicker than you think. If you save a few for friends/work and ask them to pass them back when they're done as you need to use them again - or you could show them the online version of the brochure (links are on the first post of this thread). Then when you deliver to your territory, if you leave them for 2 days, it means you can collect and redeliver again so you'll get round the houses quicker than you would first think - dont panic if you don't manage them all in your first campaign though. If you're feeling brave, you could try knocking and asking if people want a book.

As for the starter kit - if you want the bag, then yes it's good value as its good quality and you get some paper bags & samples. However if you won't use the bag, then I don't think it's worth the money, you'd be able to get more samples buying them separately.

Good luck let us know how you get on :)
  • Squidge123
    Squidge123 Posts: 491 Forumite
    I'm goin to knock doors to ask people if they want a book so I know who to go to in future. I do think I'd use the bag but its still money from my commission...
    DEBT TOTAL: £7609.44
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Thanks for letting me know it isn't just me!

I've had a quick look at doorsteps on the way to school and no books out there just yet so hopefully that means they're sitting in living rooms and wanted not just thrown back out of the door.

I'm so anxious that I won't hit my order value this campaign and end up making a loss. I think that is what will happen as even if I do make it to the mark where I can earn commision it will just be £15

£7.50 avon start up.
    £7.50 put away for national insurance contributions

The brochures will have to come out of my pocket this time.

If I don't hit then I'm £15 down.

I could, of course, exceed minimum order and earn more but I have a hunch i'll make a loss until I can get my customer base stable.

I have 4 customers already via friends and family who normally buy Avon but will go through me now so that is good news.

Also feel the fear - that's ringing bells. Is that a book? I'm off to investigate. It might just help me.
  • PurpleJay
    PurpleJay Posts: 526 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Here is a link - I read it years ago - I might dig it out again!

Anything that makes me feel it isn't just me who feels that way tends to make me feel better!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0091907071/?!!!!!googhydr-21&hvadid=9648859985&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1435817001275951406&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&ref=pd_sl_42ty850vlc_e

I bought the bag and samples - I am using my bag to go round my teritory and also to do my deliverys. I keep a few samples in there and some demo products (only dared show them to my best friend so far though). Can't imagine asking people if I can spray them with perfume on the doorstep but still! The samples were mixed and I will pop them in with some orders.
    'Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure