SHARES. Trading and investing 2014

Options
I thought maybe we should have a new shares thread as the old one is old.

My update today and which will be infrequent as I no longer day trade. I manage a sipp which I vested for my husband in 2006 so my stance is diversification and caution with an edge. I use TA all the time and base decisions on how ukx looks plus world situations

I wrapped up profits this morning, having left orders with youinvest overnight, too busy with grandchildren to deal this morning. I am now more than half cash having kept a few stalwarts. I did sell some solid dividend holds for me to buy in later as TA says a good time to sell. A tactic I like, buy and sell the same stocks depending on support and resistance

G8 is on next week and most of our policing resources are being put in place already, that and ukx told me that it was better to be out of most of our stocks for a while. I dislike being in cash btw because of the poxy interest rates so am already looking for future markers

Comments

• spender
    spender Posts: 1,157 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am a complete novice just starting out, can I ask what TA stands for please
    No Matter what you do there will be critics.
  • riderfromthenorth
    Options
    Technical Analysis i'm guessing
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    yes, I got started with some brilliant books, paper trading first and then with very low stakes. Went on to some very good TA classes in London. I stopped trading a while ago as I was spending too much time watching flashing screens. I now just do short term investing

Must say that I jumped ship on some more stocks this morning and am only left with 2 biggies and a bank perp that I bought years ago, which is giving me a consistent actual yield on the investment of around 12% pa. A good one as I bought when banks were at their lowest point

The supermarket falls this am have given me the jitters. World situation looks poor. INDU (dow) on a 5 year chart has touched resistance and is going down, won`t take much to dive. DAX looks like a lower high ie is not reaching the last high formed in july. China is wobbling, Russia is posturing and invading. The best that I see ukx do is go down to 6600, it would take a miracle to get up to 6900 in the present climate. July 2003 it was 4000, Dec 2008 to oct 2009 it was below 4000

Back to spinning and knitting now, much more relaxing
  • SomeUser
    SomeUser Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    yes, I got started with some brilliant books, paper trading first and then with very low stakes. Went on to some very good TA classes in London. I stopped trading a while ago as I was spending too much time watching flashing screens. I now just do short term investing

Which books did you read? I haven't got much further than using a combination of indicators with a variety of MA techniques for short term investing. I'd be interested to learn more.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 August 2014 at 3:40PM
    Options
    If you get only one then I recommend `technical analysis of the financial markets` by Murphy. It is a brilliant book and one of the few that I have kept. `trading in the zone` by Douglas is a psychology book that I also highly recommend. I kept point and figure by du Plessis, great teacher too but that comes later. I used to use the fantastic charting software by updata and David Linton had some fantastic teaching classes

The only software I use now is sharescope, the gold package, the days of me having realtime and level 2 have gone

I just heard that the threat level has been raised to severe, mmm glad I am out tbh. I was in pets at home when 9/11 happened and all my stocks dive bombed, I couldn`t do anything about it so I do get a bit nervy re terrorists and therefore more cautious. I learnt to be happy with the profit in the middle

Here is a link to a basic real time free chart
    http://www.livecharts.co.uk/MarketCharts/dow.php
  • riderfromthenorth
    Options
    If you don't already know Trade2Win is a good site to look at
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    all out this morning, except the one holding which is a bank perp. Something is going to give and could well be a massive breakdown. Now this is not like me, to say could or if etc but I am using my intuition as well as TA and it has served me well in building up the sipp. If I am wrong, then I am wrong but heyho, at least the pension pot is preserved
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    in again yesterday bought more shares for what I sold them for, I always include costs. Fewer different stocks this time but more defensive with a bit of cyclical and sensitive for a touch of spice. 24% cash still. Rolling yield, at time of buying, ranges from 3.37 to 7.9 so I would be happy leaving these biggies to provide cash into the sipp. Anyone joining me? I am talking to myself I think so prob the last post now. I don`t ramp or de-ramp so maybe a bit boring but I am interested in how others manage personal portfolios
  • Mistermeaner
    Options
    There's lots of words in there I don't really understand.

By spinning do you mean on an exercise bike?
    Left is never right but I always am.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 495 Forumite
    Options
    i was surprised at your liquidation pre-sep 11 - was it just due to the date?

I trade a fair bit - not day trade though. Hold stocks anywhere from a day (some IPO's) to a couple of years. mostly 6-12 months.

have traded / invested since 1998 although had a quiet 'off' period 2003-2007ish as we had kids and other distractions. been fairly successful since 07 - not a single 'losing' year. love it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure