We've made some changed to Competitions Time. Please see this thread.

New! Competition end dates posting

Former_MSE_Andrea
Former_MSE_Andrea Posts: 9,614
Combo Breaker First Post I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler
Forumite
edited 21 January 2013 at 12:14PM in Compers chat corner
Update 21 Jan 2013:

The new "sort by end date" function mentioned below is live. There's a little more info in the announcement post.

Hi everyone

We’re launching a new feature today that’ll hopefully improve everyone’s use of the Competitions Time Boards.

Simply put, when posting a new competition thread on here you’ll be asked to give its end date before you click submit and the date will then show up on your post.

We’re aware compers have previously requested the ability to sort via end date and we’d like to if we could. If we do though, it’s a much bigger job and takes up resource that may have an impact on the forum so for the time being it needs more discussion before deciding.

Enjoy!

MSE Forum Team
Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• It is easy to sort by end date yourself anyway.
  • I'm a little bit worried about this to be honest, as an end date comper (who's trying to catch up with as posted admittedly, but still does end date every day to see if I've missed some or not got to them yet as posted) if this is not yet going to be searchable then it's going to be a nightmare if people do this new end date thing and stop posting the date to the title :( as how will we be able to sort into any sort of end date order? I can't see any new fangled buttons that let you sort the forum into end date order, plus ones already posted say 'Unknown'?

I hope my worries are unfounded but with Advents coming up it's going to be insane enough without having something new that could cause problems. :eek:
  • robbies_gal
    robbies_gal Posts: 7,895
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    i agree i hope this doesnt mean people wont now put it in their title
    What goes around-comes around
  • fire**fly
    fire**fly Posts: 147,799
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    gabbyevs wrote: »
    i agree i hope this doesnt mean people wont now put it in their title

hi, it means when a poster wants to submit a new comp at the bottom of the posting is now a

Format: DD-MM-YYYY

that needs to be filled in & it automatically puts the End date in the post for when the comp is submitted on the boards hth x
    please be a responsible pet owner & spay/neuter your pets, too many strays & not enough homes for them sadly. k2u58ioz4c8e.png

• Jean_III
    Jean_III Posts: 4,431
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I have just posted a new thread and it would not submit until I had put the end date into the "new post form" at Additonal Fields section at the bottom.
  • its showing on every post within a thread, is this right?
  • I thought it was because the end date was unknown and that was there instead of the question mark in the title. Well now I know it says it on them all for now. I assume then after a while they wont say that for so long then, but will have an end date.

So the end date will still be in the title then so we can still sort the boards out by end date as we do now and we can just ignore the "End: Unknown: then?
    Current Aims: Laptop/PC, decent money, holiday
    Best Wins: Ipad, Nintendo 3DS, £400 Shopping Spree at LK Bennett, £100 Boots vouchers
    Total Wins (Since April 2012) £3442.56
    Big thanks to all who post comps :T:beer:
  • Hi Jean III,

That should now be fixed for you.

Joe
    Have any problems or issues with the Forum? Contact us at forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    MoneySavingExpert - Web Developer
  • Oh, as it stands, I'm not keen...

There have been some recent changes to the board which I wholeheartedly welcome; I love using the skip x for example, but it doesn't impact users who choose to ignore it. This, however, does seem to have the potential to make the current search/ordering facility work less well for us. If it had come with the ability to search by date order, it would have just taken a bit of getting used to but, since we decided to use the current title format, it's worked beautifully, with just some gentle nudges and explanations from experienced posters to newbies.

My plea would be for all posters to continue with the current title format.
    Avoiding plastic, palm oil and Nestlé
  • fire**fly
    fire**fly Posts: 147,799
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Jean_III wrote: »
    I have just posted a new thread and it would not submit until I had put the end date into the "new post form" at Additonal Fields section at the bottom.

think it's a great addition as will help newbies & comp posters,
    & also save lots of 'bumps' on a comp/s as when/if before we replied to the E: dates not being put in & posting CG showing them.
    please be a responsible pet owner & spay/neuter your pets, too many strays & not enough homes for them sadly. k2u58ioz4c8e.png

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure