Last Share you Bought?

I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone was buying and why.

Last week I bought:

Firstgroup, because of the stonking 12.5% yield and 7.5 PE ratio. I think with austerity people will use public transport more, I also think it likely the Government will encourage more people to use public transport. Quite a few possible minuses with this one - reduction of subsidies, and a high fixed costs business :(

British Land, just because I think it's a good long term holding. It owns a lot of dull dependable Tesco stores etc. On the minus side I think property companies will have a few bad years because the banks don't have money to lend for development :( it would be a 'mare if BL couldn't rollover debt when it matured

Comments

• Orogen gold, 1k at 0.74 in Jan/Feb time, when it hit 0.65 couple of weeks back, thought it would be rude not to get some more. 2k at 0.65. So roughly looking at 3k at 0.68

Currently looking at 30%.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 495 Forumite
    my last trade was for - Harley Davidson (HOG) - they have slimmed inventory and cut costs over the past few years, have an excellent management team and now that the yanks seem to have turned a corner, discretionary spending is up and sales are up - I'm up 10% on it so far.

interested to read that firstgroup have a 12.5% yield - is that true??
  • sabretoothtigger
    sabretoothtigger Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 14 April 2012 at 1:28PM
    WEIR

Makes and services pumps. With oil so expensive, any company which helps companies get more of it is worth having around

Firstgroup

I have them, they done pretty badly so far as a share. I agree public transport is going to become a larger percentage but at the same time its challenged.

When yields get this high on a normal company its because the market is expecting a dividend cut will have to occur from failing prospects, etc
  • darkpool
    darkpool Posts: 1,671 Forumite
    gkerr4 wrote: »
    my last trade was for - Harley Davidson (HOG) - they have slimmed inventory and cut costs over the past few years, have an excellent management team and now that the yanks seem to have turned a corner, discretionary spending is up and sales are up - I'm up 10% on it so far.

interested to read that firstgroup have a 12.5% yield - is that true??

what broker do you use to buy your yank shares? you not get bothered by the US holding taxes?

yeah, they yield 12.5%. not exactly the most secure divi though....
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,580 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Last share I bought was Eurotunnel which shows how long ago I last bought! (not including investment trust shares)

As an investment they haven't done fantastically but with the shareholder perks of 30% off all travel they have been an excellent money saving purchase.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 April 2012 at 9:57AM
    :) This is an interesting topic.

The last two shares I bought are:

One Delta, just because I like the idea of recycled plastic materials into different products. I am great fan of environmental/waste companies. Bought into it last February. It is also a part of an attempt to build a sustainable portfolio. :)

Falkland Islands Holdings, A play on the fact if the oil companies do manage to develop commercially, then hopefully Falkland Islands Holdings could benefit from it. The fact they also hold a stake in Falkands Oil and Gas does not hurt either. Bought into it last December.

Cheers

Joe
  • srcandas
    srcandas Posts: 1,241 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mine is Tesco. I've been 'in, out and in', in the last month. Just think below 3.20 is too cheap to resist. But as an over enthiusiastic amateur I'm not offering that as a recommendation :D
    I believe past performance is a good guide to future performance :beer:
  • raider
    raider Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    NovaGold on the TSE, £1500 @ C$7.48 about a month or so ago, using the last of the 11/12 ISA allowance.

Will buy more on any drop below C$6.50, adding to the 2093 currently owned.
  • lvader
    lvader Posts: 2,579 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I plan to buy and hold around 50 of the FTSE 100 companies for the long term, I have about 20 at the moment and the plan is to buy more as and whe dips/ corrections occur. I bought Morrisons last week.
  • IronWolf
    IronWolf Posts: 6,423 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    JD Sports. Cheap as their margins took a hit last year, but I reckon its just a temporary hitch coupled with the VAT hike. Plenty of growth left from them and the management have a good chance of turning Blacks around.
    Faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure