PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Beating the big boys?

Hi all,

just looking for some success stories really. I bought a new build property and it was July of last year. Its in a lovely village with fields and a lake. We were told that there would be a small village shop build in the open space behind the property, but 'nothing substantial' by the builder. a SMALL VILLAGE SHOP i can deal with. imagine my horror when I received notification if a planning application by a civils company to build a 4 story, building, consisting of 8 retail units and 65 flats right behind my house and a large car park. my garden is on an upward slope which means that if i stand on my decking i can see directly intot he sight and its is going to really bare down on my property. people will be bale to see right in as the back of my house is all bi-folding doors. I do not want Tesco delivering at 4/5am in the morning, boy racers doing doughnuts behind my house and a takeaway with all the smell of drifting into my house. Its supposed to be a village not a retail park. And all this next to the local primary school. Ive never seen something so ridiculous in all my life. S, several people are submitting their objections to the local planning department before permission is granted.

What I want to know is "has anyone else beaten the big boys? I need some hope that my first home is not about to be completely ruined...:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::(:(:(:(

Comments

• aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    Not involved in any but there are several stories out there of supermarkets being refused planning.

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/campaigners-slam-tesco-for-appealing-against-planning-refusal-1-459140

See one example above maybe research and find the reasons planning was refused, see if the same reasons can be used in your situation, note that you will be able to see it from your garden won't be a valid reason.
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    The only way you can guarantee that open land adjacent to your property won't be built on is by buying it yourself.

Who 'told' you that there would only be a village shop, was it the developer by any chance?
  • Person buys new property that increases size of village is then upset that someone else wants to change & increase size of village (and employment possibilities) also.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    In my experience these plans may get rejected in the first instance, then resubmitted and if still no joy appealed, and eventually it is passed. The developer will no doubt enter into a s 106 agreement with the council, and their money will override your objections.

Got to agree with artful though. I expect many people objected to your development. It would be hypocritical to now complain about a development allowing others to move into the area.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,608 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Actually they only want a 3 storey with 6 retail units and 30 flats, so the developer puts in an application for a larger development then when council says no, modifies it and eventually gets approval
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • "Misrepresentation" is the word for what happened to you - ie polite word for that builder lied his little !!!! off to you.

Do you have it in writing anywhere that it would only be a "small village shop"?

I am guessing that little lier only said that to you verbally and, in that case, I'm afraid I don't hold out a lot of hope you can have any comeback on them - other than telling everyone what they are like.

But, if you've got it in writing that that is all it will ever be - then you may just have a chance.

In your position - I'd be checking the sellers questionnaire that vendors complete and seeing if there was anything useful "in writing" there I might be able to work with.
  • Imagine the horror of the lovely, old village residents when they found out they were building a huge new housing estate that you eventually bought for the views whilst ruining someone elses. Swings and roundabouts.
  • LdnFtB
    LdnFtB Posts: 100 Forumite
    Imagine the horror of the lovely, old village residents when they found out they were building a huge new housing estate that you eventually bought for the views whilst ruining someone elses. Swings and roundabouts.

Exactly! You can't have your cake and eat it. We've got a growing population and a chronic undersupply of housing.
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,614 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    "Misrepresentation" is the word for what happened to you - ie polite word for that builder lied his little !!!! off to you.

Do you have it in writing anywhere that it would only be a "small village shop"?

I am guessing that little lier only said that to you verbally and, in that case, I'm afraid I don't hold out a lot of hope you can have any comeback on them - other than telling everyone what they are like.

But, if you've got it in writing that that is all it will ever be - then you may just have a chance.

In your position - I'd be checking the sellers questionnaire that vendors complete and seeing if there was anything useful "in writing" there I might be able to work with.

Ignore this
    The vendor could only have told you what they thought at the time.. that only a small shop was planned. Plans can change, doesn't mean they lied.

So no 'comeback' from the OP's vendor and certainly no way of stopping the unrelated retail development based on what a random seller said.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,801 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Seen it on so many estates near us.

The village greens, shop and nursery end up being scrubland followed by... more houses.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure