Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bitsandbobs
    • By bitsandbobs 8th Oct 17, 7:32 PM
    • 86Posts
    • 44Thanks
    bitsandbobs
    Benefit Advice needed if poss
    • 8th Oct 17, 7:32 PM
    Benefit Advice needed if poss 8th Oct 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi

Basically my step son has been living at his nan's house (she claimed housing benefit). She is moving in to her fathers address and my step son will not be able to move in there. For reasons i won't go in to he cannot move back in with us.

So this leaves him potentially without anywhere to live.

His circumstances are he has just started college full time and has zero income (we are buying him food etc at the moment)

We would like to help him get a flat of his own but I wanted to know would he be able to claim housing benefit if he did? He is 23 years old and we are in Wales if that effects things?

Also as he has zero income is there any income support or anything else he can claim just to give him money for food?

Any advice welcome as we just dont know what to do for the best
Page 1
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 8th Oct 17, 8:11 PM
    • 1,581 Posts
    • 1,684 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 8th Oct 17, 8:11 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 8:11 PM
    It may depend on the type of course he is undertaking - advanced or non-advanced.

Does he have any disabilities. Is he claiming PIP or DLA?
    If not - then the general answer is no, I'm afraid. Not even HB (unless a loan parent).

Can he get a grant / loan / bursary?
    First port of call would be his college welfare office.

The NUS website will have some info - but I'm afraid benefits and students is a very complicated area.
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Full-time-students-and-benefits/Full-time-students-and-other-benefits
    Last edited by Alice Holt; 08-10-2017 at 8:15 PM.
    • epitome
    • By epitome 8th Oct 17, 9:12 PM
    • 3,021 Posts
    • 1,836 Thanks
    epitome
    • 8th Oct 17, 9:12 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 9:12 PM
    All of the below depends if in "UC full" postcode or not aswell....

As I recall:
    He cannot have Income Support because he would need to have started the course before he was 19, to be eligible because he is "estranged from his parents"....and I think the upper age limit is 20 years old.

I don't know about UC and courses, but I doubt it. (except perhaps "UC sickness" see ESA below)

Definately:
    He can't have Jobseekers Allowance on a full time course.

If he gets DLA or PIP, he could claim ESA (as a student) without a sicknote and would be put into the WRAG group

If he has no DLA or PIP but has a good working history, he could, if he could get a sicknote, claim ESA Conts.

If it is Higher Education then he could enquire about Student Finance, Student Loans etc.

If he can't claim those things he would have to either do the course while sleeping at his friends houses or work to earn enough to pay his rent and basic food. Or give up the course and claim Job Seekers Allowance/Housing Benefit.

Or you could allow him to live in a tent in your backgarden on the strict understanding of certain ground rules.
    Last edited by epitome; 08-10-2017 at 9:20 PM.
    • bitsandbobs
    • By bitsandbobs 8th Oct 17, 11:23 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    bitsandbobs
    • 8th Oct 17, 11:23 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 11:23 PM
    Many thanks both

No he has no disabilities
    The course he is studying is sports course over 2 years
    To be fair he is looking for a part time job but realistically no part time job is going to pay enough for him to pay rent while he studies.
    If he works part time would he get any help with housing or is it basically he cannot get housing benefit no matter what
    • 19lottie82
    • By 19lottie82 9th Oct 17, 12:02 AM
    • 5,728 Posts
    • 8,665 Thanks
    19lottie82
    • 9th Oct 17, 12:02 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 12:02 AM
    If he's FT at college then he will be getting a bursary or student loan?
    Also check with the college to see if he's entitled to any extra help, such as a hardship fund.
    These with a part time job should be enough for a flatshare and living expenses...... I think his own flat might be a stretch though.
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 9th Oct 17, 9:51 AM
    • 9,999 Posts
    • 15,833 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:51 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:51 AM
    Ask the college if they have a list of people who would rent a room to a student. This would possibly mean he would get meals as well, and also no extra bills.
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• epitome
    • By epitome 9th Oct 17, 9:14 PM
    • 3,021 Posts
    • 1,836 Thanks
    epitome
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:14 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:14 PM
    Rent £35 - £60
    https://www.spareroom.co.uk/flatshare/mid_glamorgan/treforest/5446834
    You said you were in Wales.

Very do-able on a evening/weekend work

You can help with food as you say you are now.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 10th Oct 17, 11:45 AM
    • 3,971 Posts
    • 2,955 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:45 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:45 AM
    Many thanks both

No he has no disabilities
    The course he is studying is sports course over 2 years
    To be fair he is looking for a part time job but realistically no part time job is going to pay enough for him to pay rent while he studies.
    If he works part time would he get any help with housing or is it basically he cannot get housing benefit no matter what
    Originally posted by bitsandbobs
    https://www.gov.uk/housing-benefit/eligibility
    • Hoogle
    • By Hoogle 12th Oct 17, 3:58 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    Hoogle
    • 12th Oct 17, 3:58 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 3:58 PM
    Maybe look at homeless charities that can offer affordable accommodation usually paid through housing benefit but also can have a service charge on top paid by the tenant. I work alongside a homeless charity called Mayday Trust based in Northampton (obviously not suitable for your son but every borough probably has similar organisations) they usually offer a shared house scheme or shared flats with private bedroom and shared kitchen/bathroom and if they are a good tenant they usually get upgraded to stand alone bedsits or 1 bedroom self contained flats. They are designed for people who can not get council housing or afford to rent privately. However they often come with support workers who will get you all the benefits your entitled to, provide training and education funding. Mayday provide accommodation for £15 a week but get maximum entitled housing benefit as it is classified as supported accommodation. You will probably need to research organisation in your local area but should have details provided by local council of what is available. Unless he is classified as a vulnerable person then he probably wouldnt get social housing and would probably have a 5 year + waiting list ahead of him if he did qualify. however if you spend time in supported accommodation then you normally go to band A on priority where it can be as quick as 2 weeks to 6 months waiting all subject to your area and available properties.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

533Posts Today

4,176Users online

Martin's Twitter