Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happytails
    • By happytails 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,506Posts
    • 9,216Thanks
    happytails
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread...
    • 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread... 27th Jul 17 at 5:20 PM
    So the other thread has gone awol so thought i'd start a new one! It was keeping me sort of sane during the house buying/selling process!

A place to document your timelines and discuss the triumphs and woes of moving house!

My timeline -
    Offer received and accepted on our house 17/07
    Offer made and accepted on the house we want 17/07
    Solicitors Instructed 17/07
    Meeting with mortgage advisor, all docs given 18/07
    Mortgage application submitted to Nationwide 19/07
    Documents picked up and filled in from Solicitor 19/07
    Documents and ID returned to Solcitor 20/07
    Valuation booked 20/07
    Solicitor composes draft contract & starts local searches 25/07
    Valuation carried out 26/07
    Solicitor gave us our fixtures and fittings form for purchase and requested marriage certificate 26/07
    My buyers valuation carried out 27/07
    Mortgage offer given 27/07

Sarah

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Hi all! For more help with your move read our guide:

50+ House Buying Tips
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-10-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Sarah,

Trying to move up the house ladder in 2017, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
Page 1
    • alihud
    • By alihud 27th Jul 17, 6:43 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    alihud
    • 27th Jul 17, 6:43 PM
    • 27th Jul 17, 6:43 PM
    Exchanged today should be happy but I have to be out in three weeks and have nowhere to go ��
    • LuckyG
    • By LuckyG 27th Jul 17, 6:50 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    LuckyG
    • 27th Jul 17, 6:50 PM
    • 27th Jul 17, 6:50 PM
    My full timeline.

21/04 DIP accepted with Nationwide
    05/05 offer made on house
    05/05 offer accepted
    08/05 full application submitted
    10/05 valuation booked for 15/05
    10/05 Marriage certificate requested and scanned to MA
    15/05 Text from Nationwide to say they'd received the valuation report
    17/05 proof of gifted deposit requested and scanned to MA who then sent it straight to Nationwide.
    22/05 heard from broker that valuation is fine and signed off
    23/05 heard from broker that nationwide didn't realise they had my marriage certificate and it was still outstanding. When they did see they had it, they said they were going to "action it". Advised that they'll issue an offer by the end of the week.
    25/05 Received text confirming the offer
    17/07 full deposit and solicitors fees paid
    21/07 exchanged
    28/07 completion (tomorrow).

Doesn't quite feel real yet, I've got my current tenancy up until 24th August so plenty of time to move our stuff

However, everything is packed ready to go and the van we're using to move our heavy items is booked for Tuesday.
    Last edited by LuckyG; 27-07-2017 at 7:03 PM.
    • houndour
    • By houndour 27th Jul 17, 6:53 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    houndour
    • 27th Jul 17, 6:53 PM
    • 27th Jul 17, 6:53 PM
    Exchanged today should be happy but I have to be out in three weeks and have nowhere to go ��
    Originally posted by alihud
    What is the plan supposed to be?

The husband is dismantling beds. I've ordered pizza. I'm a bit nervous about tomorrow. The kids are being shipped to grandparents.

I feel like I'm missing something. But don't know what. We took meter readings today, just incase we forget tomorrow in the excitement of it all.
    • LuckyG
    • By LuckyG 27th Jul 17, 7:07 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    LuckyG
    • 27th Jul 17, 7:07 PM
    • 27th Jul 17, 7:07 PM
    What is the plan supposed to be?

The husband is dismantling beds. I've ordered pizza. I'm a bit nervous about tomorrow. The kids are being shipped to grandparents.

I feel like I'm missing something. But don't know what. We took meter readings today, just incase we forget tomorrow in the excitement of it all.
    Originally posted by houndour
    We exchange tomorrow too, but I'm on nights tonight (for the next 4 nights actually)

I'm going to find it hard to sleep tomorrow whilst waiting for the call to pick up the keys.
    • da_rule
    • By da_rule 27th Jul 17, 7:58 PM
    • 2,519 Posts
    • 2,235 Thanks
    da_rule
    • 27th Jul 17, 7:58 PM
    • 27th Jul 17, 7:58 PM
    We exchange tomorrow too, but I'm on nights tonight (for the next 4 nights actually)

I'm going to find it hard to sleep tomorrow whilst waiting for the call to pick up the keys.
    Originally posted by LuckyG
    Why are you picking up keys on exchange, or are you doing simultaneous exchange/completion?
    • pollyannaL
    • By pollyannaL 27th Jul 17, 8:57 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    pollyannaL
    • 27th Jul 17, 8:57 PM
    • 27th Jul 17, 8:57 PM
    Not sure if I can be on this thread yet, feel i am being a bit too eager!

Timeline (no chains involved)
    6/7 - offer made on condition of buying freehold
    8/7 - Offer accepted/ SSTC
    14/7 - AIP/ Full Mortgage Application via Broker
    14/7 - Solicitor instructed
    21/7 - valuation agreed/ Mortgage Offer received (happy days!)
    25/7 - Surveyor booked (2 week wait)
    27/7 - Solicitor pack received/ ID and search fee paid

Not sure if this is good going or not being a FTB! Thank god for these forums thats what i say!
    Good luck! Exciting for those completing tomorrow!
    • amateur house
    • By amateur house 28th Jul 17, 1:28 AM
    • 253 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    amateur house
    • 28th Jul 17, 1:28 AM
    • 28th Jul 17, 1:28 AM
    Interesting to see how quickly all your purchases are progressing. I am still trying to renegotiate the price after a few things came up on survey, I expect the vendor will soon get fed up and look for another buyer.

Happytails and LuckyG, are you buying in England? Just puzzled why the solicitor needs to see marriage certificates as it's not something I've been asked for.
    • LdnFtB
    • By LdnFtB 28th Jul 17, 6:57 AM
    • 93 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    LdnFtB
    • 28th Jul 17, 6:57 AM
    • 28th Jul 17, 6:57 AM
    Ok I'll jump into this one

17.04.07 - AIP from HSBC
    17.07.04 - Offer Accepted
    17.07.10 - Memorandum of Sale & EPC received
    17.07.17 - Draft contract received. Tile plan noted as incorrect.
    17.07.24 - Lease received. Lease plan also incorrect!

Current waiting for the seller and freeholder to get together and petition the Land Registry for a Deed of Rectification to correct the title - current timescale is 57 working days!
    • Pumpkim
    • By Pumpkim 28th Jul 17, 7:49 AM
    • 213 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    Pumpkim
    Coming to join you Happytails!
    I'm only dipping a toe in as it's VERY early days, I'll be here in earnest once the mortgage offer is through.
    As it stands now, my sale is progressing more quickly than my purchase (took us a while to find the perfect house) so I think in a few weeks we'll be getting pressure from below to get out! Moving in with my parents (with child and dog in tow) is an option...
    • houndour
    • By houndour 28th Jul 17, 8:31 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    houndour
    Today is the the day. I must be doing ok if I'm sat here reading mse. Although got the fridge to clean. So better get on. Good luck Luckyg today.

Anyone else completing today?
    • AprilR
    • By AprilR 28th Jul 17, 9:43 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    AprilR
    We're completing today as well 😊
    Haven't packed anything and no van booked, we're first time buyers living with parents, so we haven't got to move straight out. However I'd like to stay in it straight away 😛. We have furniture etc to take with us so we'll need to try and book a van for tomorrow or wait a little while.
    My partner is working unfortunately, so I will be getting the keys by myself. We have champagne and chocolate at the ready, just need to buy some champagne flutes 😂. Good luck to everyone!
    • houndour
    • By houndour 28th Jul 17, 11:14 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    houndour
    Good luck April.

No phone call yet.

House is nearly empty.

All I can say is I'm glad we didn't move ourselves. We would have been here forever.
    • happytails
    • By happytails 28th Jul 17, 12:34 PM
    • 1,506 Posts
    • 9,216 Thanks
    happytails
    Interesting to see how quickly all your purchases are progressing. I am still trying to renegotiate the price after a few things came up on survey, I expect the vendor will soon get fed up and look for another buyer.

Happytails and LuckyG, are you buying in England? Just puzzled why the solicitor needs to see marriage certificates as it's not something I've been asked for.
    Originally posted by amateur house
    Im guessing in my case its because me and hubby bought the house before we married, so in my maiden name and they just want clarification?

Today is the the day. I must be doing ok if I'm sat here reading mse. Although got the fridge to clean. So better get on. Good luck Luckyg today.

Anyone else completing today?
    Originally posted by houndour
    Oooh exciting - good luck!

We are taking the kids (and my mum!) to see the house later, the vendors are lovely. We've kept it a surprise so the kids have no idea
    Sarah,

Trying to move up the house ladder in 2017, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
    • bm147
    • By bm147 28th Jul 17, 3:06 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    bm147
    Joining in... FTB, seller moving in to a vacant house (probate granted), so very small chain, if you can even call it a chain!

1/6/17 (AM) - 1st offer made
    1/6/17 (AM) - Offer Rejected
    1/6/17 (PM) - 2nd Offer (best and final) made
    1/6/17 (PM) - Offer Accepted!!
    2/6/17 - Full mortgage application submitted... Nail biting begun!
    6/6/17 - Further docs requested and submitted
    15/6/17 - Mortgage company valuation takes place
    21/6/17 - Mortgage offer received!!!!
    22/6/17 - Solicitor instructed
    3/7/17 - Searches received back and enquiries raised
    26/7/17 - Answers to enquiries received from sellers solicitor (who knew 4 questions could take so long to answer!!!
    27/7/17 - Email estate agent asking what the plan is, why there has been complete radio silence.. Seller has been renegotiating her purchase price, agent estimates completion will be 16-18th Aug!

And so the waiting continues....
    • toc25
    • By toc25 28th Jul 17, 4:36 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    toc25
    Can't believe the old thread disappeared??
    I can't even remember all the dates for my timeline now. It all started early May and we won't be moving in till at the very earliest the end of September! That's if we are lucky could be even longer. All due to a new build at the top of the chain that isn't complete and the vendor won't go in to rented. Patience isn't my strong point so it's not an ideal situation.

I can't start packing or do anything because I have no date. Get the feeling I won't have a date right up till the last minute!

Congratulations to everyone who has completed and good luck to those who are about to. I'm very jealous.
    • LuckyG
    • By LuckyG 28th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    LuckyG
    Why are you picking up keys on exchange, or are you doing simultaneous exchange/completion?
    Originally posted by da_rule
    I meant complete, not exchange. We exchanged on 21st.

Anyway, we completed today, I came home from nights at 8am, had a bath and went straight to bed.

9.30am I get the call to pick up the keys

I can't believe I actually said "I'll pick them up in a few hours". I managed to sleep a little until 12 and then we collected the keys.

All we've managed to do today is give the kitchen and bathrooms a good clean, my husband is changing the locks in the morning.

It all feels quite surreal at the moment, but very exciting
    • LuckyG
    • By LuckyG 28th Jul 17, 6:42 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    LuckyG

Originally posted by amateur house
    Wales.

Nationwide wanted my marriage certificate as one of my payslips had my maiden name on it. I've only recently got married.
    • houndour
    • By houndour 28th Jul 17, 8:49 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    houndour
    We're in.

It's all gone quite smooth. Keys were ready at 12:30. The house is filthy My buyers probably don't know how lucky they are in terms of having a clean house to move straight into.

The oven is just caked in burnt food. We're going to get it professionally cleaned.

Mum and I spent all afternoon cleaning the kitchen within an inch of it's life.

So much to do. So much to clean. It needs new everything. Walls need plastering, painting, new kitchen, carpets...lots and lots to do. Am slightly daunted, but excited. It's no where near as big a project as our first house, but it feels different this time. The last house was always temporary....even at 10 years. This time I want to do it right...no shortcuts
    • sukavi2011
    • By sukavi2011 28th Jul 17, 9:07 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    sukavi2011
    Hi all, did get bit confused when couldn't find the other thread ,had buyer for mine but was worried after 2 prev fell through and 1 purchase fell through since Aug last year. Anyway this time got my buyer and also had offer accepted back in April. Am almost done, fingers crossed. solicitor waiting on a couple things back from vendor and then its a case of arranging exchange and completion. Am more than half packed up, having had good clearout of shed, loft, etc last year. Cant wait to get into new place, am downsizing now kids have flown the nest. Good luck to everyone x x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,190Posts Today

5,887Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin