Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happytails
    • By happytails 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,506Posts
    • 9,213Thanks
    happytails
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread...
    • 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread... 27th Jul 17 at 5:20 PM
    So the other thread has gone awol so thought i'd start a new one! It was keeping me sort of sane during the house buying/selling process!

A place to document your timelines and discuss the triumphs and woes of moving house!

My timeline -
    Offer received and accepted on our house 17/07
    Offer made and accepted on the house we want 17/07
    Solicitors Instructed 17/07
    Meeting with mortgage advisor, all docs given 18/07
    Mortgage application submitted to Nationwide 19/07
    Documents picked up and filled in from Solicitor 19/07
    Documents and ID returned to Solcitor 20/07
    Valuation booked 20/07
    Solicitor composes draft contract & starts local searches 25/07
    Valuation carried out 26/07
    Solicitor gave us our fixtures and fittings form for purchase and requested marriage certificate 26/07
    My buyers valuation carried out 27/07
    Mortgage offer given 27/07

Sarah

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Hi all! For more help with your move read our guide:

50+ House Buying Tips
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-10-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Sarah,

Trying to move up the house ladder in 2017, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
Page 40
    • westv
    • By westv 11th Oct 17, 5:02 PM
    • 4,311 Posts
    • 1,882 Thanks
    westv
    Yes, our buyer has now signed all the docs and we have a provisional completion date.
    Originally posted by westv
    I was hoping it could all be done and dusted today but I guess it'll take a little longer with 3 people in the chain before a definite completion date is finally agreed.
    • Akahotpot
    • By Akahotpot 11th Oct 17, 5:02 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Akahotpot
    1 email and 1 phone call dodged now by solicitor
    Bulldog on reception mentioned , had now altered my mortgage info since vendor dropped sale price by a grand (didnt think I would need to do this ) ok anything else holding up exchange I ask to be told looking into everything else ...how vague can you be ....Phoned bank to tell them about price drop took 5 mins
    My vendor thinks we are moving in 2 weeks ish ...I dont think so
    • Jaglad111
    • By Jaglad111 11th Oct 17, 5:45 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    Jaglad111
    Thanks all

Well a follow up email from my solicitor contains our worst fears. No planning permission was granted (work done in 2002) No regs cert issued either and the freeholder never granted permission. The current owners (bought 2011) applied for regs in 2012 but never granted access so the final inspection was never done.

The house sold earlier this year and reached this point before collapsing.

I'm 3k down and very annoyed. I believe this is why it fell through last time and we have been deliberately mislead. I cant believe the EA could advertise it as a family room without any paperwork. Its only thanks to our valuation that the conversion was picked up. Gutted!
    • purpleparrotuk
    • By purpleparrotuk 11th Oct 17, 7:21 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    purpleparrotuk
    Quick update from me. Exchanged today at last. Moving on the 19th. Thanks everyone on here for your advice and tips for other people I have also taken note of

Good luck everyone else on here.
    • Pumpkim
    • By Pumpkim 11th Oct 17, 7:59 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    Pumpkim
    Seems we're all getting a little fraught

Jaglad - does this mean you're pulling out, is an indemnity out of the question? We have a similar situation with our purchase with a conservatory built over 10 years ago, in breach of covenant and no regs but we've decided to accept indemnity insurance.

Natbag - hope it's all resolved soon and things get moving.

Update from our solicitor today. She has received responses to most of the additional queries now from vendors sols, but has had to go back with a few things (she didn't say what), hoping all will be resolved this week. Waiting for response from vendors solicitor on completion on 3rd November but it's dependent on their purchase. And finally, my buyer can only exchange on 3rd if we exchange this week (don't know why, presumably to do with giving notice on her rental).
    So my deductions from all that is that we won't be completing on the 3rd
    Have to laugh or I'd go insane
    • Jaglad111
    • By Jaglad111 11th Oct 17, 8:14 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    Jaglad111
    Well done Purple, congrates!

Hi Pumpkim,

Indemnity is a no as we believe the work hasn't been completed to comply with regs so suspect a full floor dig out and expose the walls. Its all work I can do myself but between that, 2 1/2 bathrooms, moving a couple of doors, kitchen fit and full redecoration, repair damaged plasterboard, replace all electrical fittings and consumer board its a bridge too far.

The fact the EA has been dishonest and the freeholder has us over a barrel is truly gauling. I'm gutted but also exhausted from the whole process.

Time to regroup and start again in the new year.
    • Natbag
    • By Natbag 11th Oct 17, 10:50 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 718 Thanks
    Natbag
    So sorry to hear that Jaglad111, that's really appalling and definitely backs up the need for the whole house purchase process in England to be reformed.
    Pumpkin, again, we are both stuck waiting, gah. Hope we both have some news of progress before the week is out. We are still really hoping to complete by month-end but I'm starting to think this is becoming less and less likely.
    Purpleparrot, yay, congrats! Hope the move all goes well!
    • toc25
    • By toc25 12th Oct 17, 5:45 AM
    • 224 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    toc25
    Moving day for us today! After over 5 months of stress I never thought this day would come. Fingers crossed completion goes smoothly.

I actually feel quite sad at leaving our home of 12 years even though I've wanted to move for years.
    • dancing_star
    • By dancing_star 12th Oct 17, 7:42 AM
    • 111 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    dancing_star
    Moving day for us today! After over 5 months of stress I never thought this day would come. Fingers crossed completion goes smoothly.

I actually feel quite sad at leaving our home of 12 years even though I've wanted to move for years.
    Originally posted by toc25
    Ooh, how exciting! Looking forward to moving day story if you have time soon

Good luck!
    • dpearson86
    • By dpearson86 12th Oct 17, 8:39 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    dpearson86
    I got a call yesterday that we will get the keys to our first home on 31st October! My parents laughed because we love Halloween with us being a family of clowns, magicians and face-painters, then me the boring insurance lady so they've said it's my way of linking back in to the family business ��

It will be week 19 on the dot since we made the offer when we get the keys.

What do I need to make sure I have sorted before moving in? I know home insurance, movers, number for a takeout but not sure what else.
    • westv
    • By westv 12th Oct 17, 11:37 AM
    • 4,311 Posts
    • 1,882 Thanks
    westv
    Apparently it's all steam ahead to exchange (fingers still very much crossed) once my buyer's buyer has submitted a form in relation to their help to buy ISA. No idea what the form is but my solicitor seemed quite relaxed about it.
    • Cinders:
    • By Cinders: 12th Oct 17, 11:50 AM
    • 146 Posts
    • 797 Thanks
    Cinders:
    Morning all, hope everything's going well. This board seem full of positive news today, so let's hope that it's spreading.

Exchange didn't happen yesterday as our vendors solicitor went home at 3 o'clock. This morning however, everything was in place, and we finally exchanged contracts, with completion being 31st October.
    SPC # 115
    • chrissie83
    • By chrissie83 12th Oct 17, 1:50 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    chrissie83
    I hope Iím in the right place 😊
    We accepted an offer on our house on Monday, today Iíve been & sorted our new mortgage & ive booked 3 viewings for tomorrow & Saturday. Iím waiting to hear about the buyers valuation etc. Seems like Iíve got ages to go & Iím unsure what order things happen in. Iím going to read this thread from the beginning when I get chance later
    • Upsy Staffordshire
    • By Upsy Staffordshire 12th Oct 17, 3:12 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 3,730 Thanks
    Upsy Staffordshire
    Congratulations to everyone receiving good news!

I have heard from our solicitor today with the news that everything is going well, the buyers have just got some things to finalise on their end and that's it, so hopefully by the end of tomorrow or early next week we will be able to exchange. We've just got to settle on a completion date. Our buyer wants to complete very soon but we need more time until we can move into our new home so hopefully we can get something agreed tomorrow.
    Thank you to everyone who posts on here
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 12th Oct 17, 3:20 PM
    • 1,135 Posts
    • 1,338 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    I hope Iím in the right place 😊
    We accepted an offer on our house on Monday, today Iíve been & sorted our new mortgage & ive booked 3 viewings for tomorrow & Saturday. Iím waiting to hear about the buyers valuation etc. Seems like Iíve got ages to go & Iím unsure what order things happen in. Iím going to read this thread from the beginning when I get chance later
    Originally posted by chrissie83
    Unless you are happy to complete your sale before your purchase is ready, you may find that your buyers wish to delay a valuation until the chain above is complete.
    • Natbag
    • By Natbag 12th Oct 17, 4:00 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 718 Thanks
    Natbag
    toc25 - how exciting! Hope it has all gone well for you!
    dpearson86 and Cinders - congrats! And what an awesome moving date!
    chrissie83 - welcome, and well done on getting a buyer. Sadly it seems that's the easy part! There's a useful guide as to what the process is on here if you look in the 'Mortgages'/Home Moving/Buying section. Hope all goes smoothly for you.
    Upsy Staffordshire - same here, just waiting on our buyer and seller to wrap the last bits up and then we'll be moving to exchange. Hopefully by early next week too, with a bit of luck. Just waiting it out now. I'm hoping for a fast completion, and our seller is too as their property is empty, but I guess it will be down to our buyer who is currently renting.
    • westv
    • By westv 12th Oct 17, 4:16 PM
    • 4,311 Posts
    • 1,882 Thanks
    westv
    I must have misheard the ISA thing. It's "funds" not "form". I've been told the funds should be with the bottom of the chain solicitor either Monday or Tuesday of next week - so that'll be Wednesday or Thursday then!
    • Natbag
    • By Natbag 12th Oct 17, 5:04 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 718 Thanks
    Natbag
    Fingers crossed for sooner rather than later westv. I get the feeling once my buyers have got their last item sorted, then we will all be waiting for that as well. At least this thread prepares me well for such delays!
    • RackAttack2.0
    • By RackAttack2.0 12th Oct 17, 8:51 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    RackAttack2.0
    3 months today since our offer on our first home was made. Today we signed contracts and I will be paying our deposit in the morning. Hoping for a speedy exchange and completion as we were hoping to have had the keys today ¨.¨''

Fingers crossed for everyone!
    • JustKeepSaving
    • By JustKeepSaving 13th Oct 17, 6:54 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    JustKeepSaving
    Hello, I think I'm ready to join this thread again. I thought we would exchange months ago but there was a delay from the other side and the bank. All to do with the leasehold of the flat.

We have now returned all signed documents to our lawyer and transferred the deposit money yesterday. So they are getting everything ready for exchange now.

We are in rented so no chain.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

171Posts Today

1,495Users online

Martin's Twitter