Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pipx
    • By Pipx 12th Oct 17, 1:54 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Pipx
    Tax Credits - estimating childcare costs
    • 12th Oct 17, 1:54 PM
    Tax Credits - estimating childcare costs 12th Oct 17 at 1:54 PM
    I am due to start work and currently claim child tax credits. I will start having childcare costs for the first time. My childcare costs will be £22 a week during term time, and will vary during the school holidays depending on how many days I or my husband can take off work. For example, some holiday weeks I will need to put the children in childcare 4 days a week (cost = £168), another week it may be 2 days a week (cost £84). I read on the HMRC website to add up childcare costs over the whole year and divide by 52 to get a weekly average. If I estimate that I will need to use on average 3 days childcare per week of school holiday this puts my annual costs at £2370, divided by 52 = £45 a week. But they then tell me that I must let them know if my weekly childcare costs drop below my estimated weekly average (they will drop below this most of the time as during term time my costs are only £22 a week). Totally confused - what am I supposed to do? Update them every time my childcare costs change i.e at start and end of each school holiday period?
Page 1
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 12th Oct 17, 3:09 PM
    • 4,004 Posts
    • 2,971 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 12th Oct 17, 3:09 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 3:09 PM
    It is if the average cost varies.

See here for examples http://revenuebenefits.org.uk/pdf/WTC5.pdf page 16
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,750Posts Today

6,282Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin