Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 11th Oct 17, 2:25 PM
    • 1,115Posts
    • 925Thanks
    ThemeOne
    Should I Wind Up my Company?
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:25 PM
    Should I Wind Up my Company? 11th Oct 17 at 2:25 PM
    I have worked for many years via my own limited company but am now thinking of retirement, apart from one small client, whose work is likely to be infrequent.

There is a fair bit of cash in the company, both in a current account and invested in funds, and my initial thought is to continue paying myself a small salary until the money runs out (this would be quite a few years).

The advantage to me is this arrangement involves changing nothing, and it leaves the company in existence in case I want to use it for some other kind of venture.

My question is would some other arrangement be better? Would what I am proposing raise a flag with HMRC, for instance - since I would presumably be returning a loss each year, which I have never done before. Would there be an advantage to winding up the company?
Page 1
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 11th Oct 17, 4:13 PM
    • 5,002 Posts
    • 4,350 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:13 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:13 PM
    what does your accountant advise?

running down the balances in a company is a fairly standard option, but there are others..
    https://www.contracteye.co.uk/close-limited-company-options.shtml
    Last edited by 00ec25; 11-10-2017 at 4:16 PM.
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 11th Oct 17, 4:43 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 925 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:43 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:43 PM
    That's useful thank you - at least it reassures me what I'm thinking of doing is not so unusual.

I will think about the other options, but leaving things as is does seem easiest and I have no need of the funds beyond the monthly salary drip-feed.
    • bris
    • By bris 11th Oct 17, 8:39 PM
    • 6,918 Posts
    • 5,945 Thanks
    bris
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:39 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:39 PM
    Assuming you tax returns are up to date you can just take out the funds as dividends. Speak to your accountant, there are ways to get the money out tax free after winding it up.

If you take it as a salary you will have to pay tax again as PAYE, why bother as I assume your company has already paid corporation tax.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

104Posts Today

2,506Users online

Martin's Twitter