PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cleaning suede

Comments

• Cheers guys, if it ever stops raining here in Cornwall then I shall try leaving it out in the wind. Did think about burning loads of incense under/near it too... or hanging it over a bonfire!! (thats gotta be better then the current odour!)

:cool:

PS Eau De Dead Goat is SO last season isnt it?!? :rotfl:
    Jan '12 GC; £74.66/£100
    £2 saver club member #107
    :grin:
  • Hi I have a pair of pale beige suede boots I wore them with a long denim skirt and have been left with yucky bluey grey marks on them any ideas on how to get rid of them. Thanks.
  • Jayar
    Jayar Posts: 735 Forumite
    I think this type of cleaning would be done best by a professional.
    But if you are determined to try yourself, try rubbing the marks off first with a pencil eraser, or one of those new eraser sponge pads (JML do them), then raise the nap again with a suede brush.
    If all else fails, you could always try a bit of white vinegar, but test it out on an inconspicuous place first.
    A friend is someone who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden.
  • Years ago I bought a suede rubber from Dolcis and still have it, it is harder and feels more like plastic that a pencil one, try a shoe shop one, it does work brilliantly
  • Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    If you feel confident, use a fine grained pumice stone and rub the suede gently. I have done this in the past and it worked fine, but then each skin and treatment vary, so....
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • Quackers
    Quackers Posts: 10,157 Forumite
    Years ago I bought a suede rubber from Dolcis and still have it, it is harder and feels more like plastic that a pencil one, try a shoe shop one, it does work brilliantly

These are really good. About £2.50 - £3 depending where you buy them from. They are called nubuck cleaning blocks in our shop.

If you are able to get the marks off then I'd recommend you spray your shoes with a protector spray once clean. This will make any future marks easier to clean off.

If you cannot get the marks off and the boots look really bad you could either dye them or just put lots of thin coats of a good quality shoe cream on. This will turn the boots to a leather finish and obviously cover all the marks if you use a dark colour. It doesn't matter if they were suede, nubuck or leather they will still all end up as smooth leather.

Once my shoes/boots go yukky I always put black shumagic on them and they look like a new pair :)
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
  • nikiyoung
    nikiyoung Posts: 576 Forumite
    I am so hacked off :mad: I bought a new pair of black jeans at the weekend and also a new cream suede jacket and the dye is now on the new jacket - (ok I should have washed the jeans before I wore them with the new jacket).
    How can i get rid of the stained part on the jacket?? Any ideas? I couldn't find anything in the Mega list
    Thanks
    Niki
    :wave:
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    You could try suede cleaner from your local cobblers. Failing that, I don't know what to suggest :(
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • nikiyoung
    nikiyoung Posts: 576 Forumite
    thanks Charlies_mum I'll give it a try.
    I am so annoyed first new clothes for ages!
    Niki
    :wave:
  • hw456
    hw456 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Hi there

Not sure if I have posted this on the right forum, but any advice would be greatly appreciated :j

My mum wants her suede jacket dry cleaning and she has been to the local dry cleaners who have told her it would be £40 to clean (coat only cost £50 in the Sales!!!)

Is there any other way of cleaning a suede jacket? Can it be washed on a cold wash or delicates on the washer? We have a local laundrette who does dry cleaning. Think they charge £12 for the coat to be cleaned but have said they can't guarantee that it will be properly cleaned and that it could also shrink!!!

Any ideas as my mum is reluctant to pay over the odds to clean a coat:rolleyes:

Thanks for any advice :confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport