Meter reader/nPower say mandatory "Gas Safety Check" needed every 2 years

Comments

• davehsug
    davehsug Posts: 80 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Instead of complaining about npower, you should be congratulating them for complying with the licence conditions! Is it too much to ask that you arrange to be there at least once in 2 years so that the meter can be inspected?
    If there was a leak & explosion, you can imagine the furore.
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    sacsquacco wrote: »
    British Gas and EDF routinely break the 2 year inspection rule.We ve got one in my area who s pushed B.G. to the limit.No ones got in, in 8 years at least.He s called British Gases bluff and threatened to sue if they enter by warrant so they ve all give up on him.They think he s paying the correct ammount.Lately British Gas have gone soft on the law with all the online readings.My colleague who does pre-warrants and 2 year must reads gets the door slammed on him regulary.there is an avalanche of pre warrants buiding up due to onliners refusing access British Gas have given up on them.Just last week I was aggressively told to b####r off on a 2 year must inspect.I know B.G wont do anything as its too expensive to keep applying for all these warrants that the onliners are buiding up.Its a field day nowadays for your dedicated gas/lekky fiddler.Lots of gas meters being sold on ebay co-incidently( possibly used as substitute meters). just to calm the Npower victim down a bit,checking the meter for faults and tampers is classed as a visual safety check.People substituting gas meters are more likely to get a leak going as they have one-use washers on them. I can t understand why you cant let the gas man in every now and then.I take about 30 seconds to check the meters, instead of creating all this expense by the suppliers

I would be surprised if any supplier is compliant to MBR in elec or gas. I would be more surprised if ofgem even audit this...compliance isn't monitord on elec meter recerts so what state are they in I wonder?
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • Good old must be reads.....

Some people will complain about anything - if you don't want a "nasty" letter, let the meter reader in to do their job that takes all 45secs when they call round. You'll get the added bonus of receiving an accurate bill as well (in some cases anyway :rotfl:) plus they wont think you are stealing.

TBF 99% of customers were great and on board with having there meters read/checked (even key meter users) every 6months when i used to do it :j

I'll stick to installing them now though
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Meter plus dont do npowers theft of gas, they use a company called richburns. Meter plus do debt and Gas safety checks.

Even energy regulators will not stop a safety inspection
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • Terrylw1
    Good old must be reads.....

Some people will complain about anything - if you don't want a "nasty" letter, let the meter reader in to do their job that takes all 45secs when they call round. You'll get the added bonus of receiving an accurate bill as well (in some cases anyway :rotfl:) plus they wont think you are stealing.

TBF 99% of customers were great and on board with having there meters read/checked (even key meter users) every 6months when i used to do it :j

I'll stick to installing them now though

Some years back ofgem got wind of suppliers nasty letter and things started to change in favour of soft letters. Now it seems yo have changed back...with tbe focus on Lean practices in the utility sector it just surprises me that they gave forgotten the simple principle of service in a service industry...send your customers arsey threatening letters when the have supplied readings and always paid and expect them to hold you in contempt. Treat them better and explain why and not immediately over inflate the consequences just to improve your access rate and maybe your customers might have faith. Basic really.
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • notts_phil
    notts_phil Posts: 1,087 Forumite
    I got one of these letters today!

I changed suppler in jan. But a week before I had a meter safety check done through my old supplier.

If I ring up will they be able to verify this was done by g4s (I think I was them on behalf of edf)??
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • might be less bother to just let the guy spend 30 seconds to check the meter,or just put reading on window for him seeing as its recently had a check.these meter reader checks are just anti tamper/faulty meter or customer verification readings.
  • Terrylw1
    notts_phil wrote: »
    I got one of these letters today!

I changed suppler in jan. But a week before I had a meter safety check done through my old supplier.

If I ring up will they be able to verify this was done by g4s (I think I was them on behalf of edf)??

In gas the inspection date doesn't move as suppliers an agents do. It sounds like your inspection date was never updated by your old supplier since it gets updated to the distributor database. Contact them and they will need yo send the update, then advice your new supplier so they can take you out of the process.
  • Terrylw1
    sacsquacco wrote: »
    might be less bother to just let the guy spend 30 seconds to check the meter,or just put reading on window for him seeing as its recently had a check.these meter reader checks are just anti tamper/faulty meter or customer verification readings.

It will be the previous suppliers failed to send a data flow updating the Last Inspection Date into the distributor. So the new supplier sees the old supplier failure to sort it and know the have to.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,653 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    It isnt about checking for meter fiddling although of course such matters might be detected. Its really about safety i.e is there sign of leakage/corrosion/electrical safety/ecv operating ok/labels ok...if anything is amiss,it is pointed out and corrected if it is the meter operators responsibility
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure