PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fish previously frozen at sea...

When buying fresh fish at Tesco's fish counter I always check if the fish has already been frozen. There's usually a label stuck in the fish saying 'previously frozen at sea and therefore unsuitable for home freezing' or words to that effect. Basically you shouldn't refreeze fish (or anything) that has already been frozen unless you cook it first.

This week, however I noticed a new label on the fish in Tesco's. It says something along the lines of 'may have been frozen at sea, but safe to freeze at home '. I queried this, and the girl behind the counter said 'all our fish can be frozen at home', 'really' I said 'I was under the impression that it can't be, if it has already been frozen, what does this mean -may have been frozen at sea ?'. She didn't know (no surprises there) and just said it was all fine to freeze. I shall investigate at Waitrose where the staff are very well informed about what they are selling ;) but does anyone know what this all means ? Either you can refreeze previously frozen fish or you can't. I'm frankly surprised by Tesco in this age of food hygiene mania :confused:

Comments

• Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    That's a new one on me too, Thriftlady! I'm one of those who take great advantage of 'fresh fish' on the whoopsie shelves as OH is a fishaholic. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what other information you get.

Many thanks for that observation.
  • you cant refreeze any food especially a high risk food such as fish, but for a big company such as tesco to say you can there must be some loophole that allows them to do it - maybe something to do with timing - it could have been put on ice to get its body temp out of the danger zone as quickly as possible after being caught (thats just a suggestion that came into my head, probably completely wrong) i too will be interested to see what other info you get.
  • I've always done this with 'fish on ice', didn't realise there could be a problem :confused:

Anyways, I've gone and done a google, and it would seem that although its best not to (esp from a taste POV) its generally ok to refreeze as long as the fish you intend to refreeze has been cold defrosted (ie done in the fridge, or in the case of supermarkets, on the ice) and never allowed to get even slightly warm, then it should be ok. Like I say, I've done this quite often, and the only problem I've had is once with some Salmon when it went 'squishy', as in the cells expanded when ice crystals formed.

This is one of the better explanations I found, but most of the links on google when searching for 'refreezing fish' say what I've tried to explain above. I think its a personal choice though, if you're going to worry about it, or not enjoy it so much then don't do it.

• Refreezing frozen meat and fish

If I buy fresh, raw meat or fish that states it has previously been frozen, can I refreeze it raw or do I have to cook it first?

The general rule is not to refreeze any raw food that has previously been frozen and, once defrosted, a product should be cooked and eaten within a few days. You can, however, cook previously frozen raw food, allow it to cool, then immediately freeze it. But some major retailers have started labelling products as both ‘previously frozen' and ‘suitable for home freezing'. We spoke to the British Frozen Food Federation (01476 515300; www.bfff.co.uk), who explained that, in these instances, products have been frozen and defrosted in such strictly controlled conditions that there's no possibility of them entering the ‘temperature danger zone' where bacteria may grow, nor are they at risk of any cross-contamination from other food. So, yes, as long as a product carries a label that states it's ‘suitable for home freezing', it's safe to refreeze, defrost and eat. If it doesn't, don't risk it.
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Many thanks, iamstacie!
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    iamstacie wrote: »

• Refreezing frozen meat and fish
    If I buy fresh, raw meat or fish that states it has previously been frozen, can I refreeze it raw or do I have to cook it first?

The general rule is not to refreeze any raw food that has previously been frozen and, once defrosted, a product should be cooked and eaten within a few days. You can, however, cook previously frozen raw food, allow it to cool, then immediately freeze it. But some major retailers have started labelling products as both ‘previously frozen' and ‘suitable for home freezing'. We spoke to the British Frozen Food Federation (01476 515300; www.bfff.co.uk), who explained that, in these instances, products have been frozen and defrosted in such strictly controlled conditions that there's no possibility of them entering the ‘temperature danger zone' where bacteria may grow, nor are they at risk of any cross-contamination from other food. So, yes, as long as a product carries a label that states it's ‘suitable for home freezing', it's safe to refreeze, defrost and eat. If it doesn't, don't risk it.

Many thanks for this iamstacie :T that explains it then, it's a pity Tesco couldn't explain it to me though:rolleyes:
  • LesleyJ62
    LesleyJ62 Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just noticed this thread. My husband pointed this label out to me today. I decided not to buy the fish because although whilst the fish may have been kept below the danger temp to the point of me buying some, as soon as I put the fish in my trolley it will start to warm up. Now I have to finish shopping, get home and unpack my shopping bags. Surely by now the temp of the fish has risen substantially. Put me off buying it anyway
  • elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My understanding was that they ice the fish at sea but not necessarily freeze. I, however, usually ignore these rules as for years I'd been buying prepared fish and freezing it before realising it had the do not freeze warning on it (ooooops).

I used to be a chef so I'm happy that my foods are stored correctly and defrosted under sensible conditions so I'd 're freeze most things - I am VERY careful about chicken though and doubt I'd risk it. Fish I'd rather use than 're freeze but most other things are ok for us.

I'm not for one minute suggesting people should do it at home I'm purely saying what works for us. My son is now 10 but at the time I was freezing the prepared fish he was just a toddler. Thankfully neither of us ever suffered any strange side effects.
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • Grumpysally
    Grumpysally Posts: 790 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    LesleyJ62 wrote: »
    as soon as I put the fish in my trolley it will start to warm up. Now I have to finish shopping, get home and unpack my shopping bags. Surely by now the temp of the fish has risen substantially. Put me off buying it anyway

Surely this applies to all the chilled and frozen foods in the shopping trolley. Though I appreciate fish is a bit more sensitive.
    I dont understand why some supermarkets have the fish counter near the entrance and not near the frozen section where the fish could then nestle safely amongst the frozen peas in the trolley.
    I tend to ignore most labels like that as I see it as a way of supermarkets getting you to waste food and buy more. Then again if I was cooking for someone in ill health, very young or very old I'd be more carefull.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure