Whats happened to Remegel?

Comments

• Hi,
    My dad and I were having this conversation last night, and in the masses of 'Rennie' remedies there's Rennie Soft Chews which has seemed to fill the gap.
    They're not as dusty as Remegel, but taste similar and are lovely and squidgy, without leaving the claggy taste of the liquid.
    you've probably found those by now though! I'll be picking some of those up for Dad today...
    SG
  • Where did you find the Rennie Soft Chews ? All the online places that I've looked at don't seem to have them in stock.
  • santer_2
    santer_2 Posts: 4,406 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
  • Thanks, but prescription only? Why?
  • comnut
    comnut Posts: 16 Forumite
    In case there is some 'scandal' going on, you MUST read this..
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simethicone
    it is a main ingredient of remegel...
    a few other tablets that include this, are also 'out of stock' for a long time... ?????
  • usignuolo
    usignuolo Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    I too am a fan of Remegel and disappointed to find they are no longer sold. For the present at least. There is no equivalent on the market. And to those who recommend Gaviscon should be aware that it contains aspartame the artificial sweetener. Like a substantial number of people I am allergic to this and get violent and unpleasant headaches if I consume even a small amount.
  • H2GGA
    H2GGA Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I too am a fan of Remegel and it is a big loss that they are not available. Before I discovered Remegel I used to use a 'chewy' Rennes tablet. These also seem to have disappeared off the shelves. Are we sure that the chewy tablet is not the problem?
  • Heffalumpi
    Heffalumpi Posts: 18 Forumite
    I have been able to get the Rennie Soft Chews in Tesco Extra so that might be worth a try.
  • comnut
    comnut Posts: 16 Forumite
    edited 8 April 2012 at 4:09PM
    But first the BAD news!

Simethicone is an organic 'foam reducer' , so it will enable the release of the gas from this so giving relief..

The active ingredients of Remegel are
    Simethicone 125mg, Calcium Carbonate 800mg, sucrose, glucose syrup, purified water hyfoama DS (hydrolyzed milk protein), gelatin, maize starch sorbitol (crystalline), glycerol, titanium dioxide (E171) patent blue V (E131), paramount C (hydrogenated vegetable fat) Amerfond fondant sugar, doublemint flavour, L-menthol butylated hydroxyanisole, talc (used as a processing aid)

I found a reference to Remegel in 'rollaids' -

Rolaids Softchews were originally developed and test marketed, in Oklahoma City, under the brand name *Remegel* by Warner Lambert

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolaids#Rolaids_softchews

(copy that to the URL bar!!)

it seems there were complaints of mouldy smell etc, and vomiting .. - I have found that if they are not in a sealed container, they tend to turn into a sticky mess.. not very safe with bacteria around!!

a few months later bits of metal were found!!

So I guess the bad news spread, killing the brand..

The GOOD news:
    there are other remedies that will do the same thing, but not as good to chew..

Rennie Deflatine: this has the chalky tab, to stop your acid, plus Simethicone to solve your trapped wind.. drink with orange to cover the bad taste!

windeze, windsetlers, imogasand, (google them to check!!)
    have Simethicone, but you may find you still have a bad stomach, needing the chalky part..

Main point is, smaller shops (and even large ones with a reputation to protect, and high bills!!) cannot afford to stock a 'dubious product' .. so go to the super-large ones that can afford to have a whole shelf of antacids, etc...
  • Not sure that you should rely on Wikipedia - there's absolutely nothing wrong with Remegel other than some licensing issue that occurred when the company was amalgamated under the umbrella of yet another company.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure