PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Haha - I love Divine Comedy - their lyrics are always so witty. Don't mind that for an earworm!
    Sebrie - condolences to you and your family. I think you are being very wise to include your daughter's at this stage.
    DGDcoming today to kondo my grey roots and she will probably kondo some hot cross buns from the freezer - her favourite. I'll also be likely to kondo her eyebrows for her too - does that count as a win win?
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Siebrie what a lovely post about your dear aunt. I'm also someone that thinks the young should be included in the family process of mourning loved ones. There is safety and comfort in joint grief with the older family members showing the young the grieving process. You may think I'm strange but there is something quite beautiful and precious about it that lets everyone know they are a special part of a larger picture...the family.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Siebre, I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt. I hope your journey this weekend goes well, and your DDs can experience the funeral safely with you.
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    I'm grinning at the thought of you hurling spears of cherry laurel over the broken gate like some madcap Boudicca. Certainly sounds like you have a job on there.
    It is, it is - but now I've been renamed Boudicca, I'm even happier to do it :rotfl:
    Where I've had to burn branch wood, or rain-sodden and rotten timbers, ....
    That advice is pure gold, thank you :A
    Hell, wish I was a free agent not tied to a job or I'd offer to come and help - will garden for food. ;)
    I wish you were a free agent too :rotfl:
    Whilst I've been away, have had a long chat with the folks about progress at the bungalow and also been over to a pal's for an hour or so. We had a good old natter plus I was able to declutter a birthday present and card, so that counts as kondo-ing, right?
    Yes it does, it must do :j

Kondoing branches. That's it!
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Sorry to hear about your Aunt Siebrie.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Sorry to hear about your aunt, Siebrie.

Does anyone else get 'stuck' because of other people's well-meaning but not fulfilled offers? By way of example, I had a leak in May due to a blocked gutter. A neighbour, a friend and another friend's husband all said they could clear it 'when my son-in-law comes over/when I can get a ladder/when I get a free weekend'. Money is tight and it wasn't a big job so I waited ... and waited ... after torrential rain on Saturday, I rang a local firm and within 2 hours it was fixed. One phone call and £85 (ouch) but it had to be done, as the water has damaged the wallpaper and I couldn't go into winter with it. I've had similar offers to help with a big garden task, remove a piece of furniture, and other things which just aren't happening.

When someone's offered a favour, you can't nag them to do it. I'm thinking its time to face up to some of these things and either save up to Get A Man In or do it myself. I'd like to Kondo a few of these jobs before winter.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    When someone's offered a favour, you can't nag them to do it. I'm thinking its time to face up to some of these things and either save up to Get A Man In or do it myself. I'd like to Kondo a few of these jobs before winter.
    I disagree; maybe you shouldn't nag, but I would certainly call them and agree on a date. Very politely don't accept no for an answer, flatter them into doing the job for you.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,244 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Polly perhaps those who offered could be chivied with "do you remember when I was talking about wanting to get xxx sorted before the end of the month and you very kindly offered to help? Could we plan the date now, as I've got a few things on over the next few weeks?"
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    mavvymoo wrote: »
    On the National Express there's a jolly hostess
    Selling crisps and tea
    She'll provide you with drinks and theatrical winks
    For a sky-high fee
    Mini-skirts were in style when she danced down the aisle
    Back in '63 (yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah)
    But it's hard to get by when your ar*e is the size
    Of a small country
    And everybody sings 'ba ba ba da'
    We're going where the air is free
    Tomorrow belongs to me

:rotfl::rotfl:I always think of this when I hear someone is travelling with them.
    Now it will be in your heads for the rest of the day ;)

Mav x

Brilliant! I too think of this when I hear someone has travelled on a coach.

I've decided to join you, I am constantly clearing out, just finished sifting through all the paperwork files - not sure why I would need correspondence from a house that was sold in 1987!

Love hearing how you all get on.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    :eek: OH has Kondoed his shoes..... THey have been all over the floor of the office for over a year. There are still a few pairs left but he has got rid of a boxful.

I am still ploughing through photos. Sifted out another 74 yesterday and another whole album gone. :T We have sooooo many photos of DD as a baby and toddler (she is 20, i am sifting those from around her first birthday - and that was before her brother came along :eek:). I am not sure we need so many but it's hard to get rid of them. Only the really duff ones have gone... (or where my hair is particularly awful :D)

FOrtunately we have digital photos from when DD was about 8 - only 7 years worth left then.....
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport