CAT FLEAS - merged

Options

Comments

• black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I tried flea bombs when my dog got fleas but it didnt work and they are hard to get off the shelf in this country anyway. In the end I bought a spray from the pet shop for £8.99 which got rid of them straight away. One can was enough for my house which is very small but I suppose it depends on how big your house is.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • dianasnan
    Options
    you don,t need a prescription to buy from Vetuk.co.uk. 6 phials of Frontline cost me about £15 post free.
    Never known a year like it for fleas, must be the mild weather encouraging the little devils to breed.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I decided to comb my cat last night because there looked to be a little debris in his coat. I found one of those pesky little critters and started scratching staight away. Funny how the sight of one makes you itchy.

I use frontline on my cat having learnt a valuable lesson regarding flea collars years ago. My cat now has a bald ring around his neck because the flea collar literally burnt him. It was a mess and took a while to heal.
  • play2day
    play2day Posts: 409 Forumite
    Options
    We use frontline on our pets too. It certainly seems to work.
  • Wickedkitten
    Options
    dianasnan wrote:
    you don,t need a prescription to buy from Vetuk.co.uk. 6 phials of Frontline cost me about £15 post free.
    Never known a year like it for fleas, must be the mild weather encouraging the little devils to breed.

You do need a prescription if you want to get the vet grade stuff
    It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.
  • lisa_75
    lisa_75 Posts: 555 Forumite
    Options
    You do need a prescription if you want to get the vet grade stuff

No you don't. The stuff I buy online is exactly the same as the stuff I get from the vets, but half the price.

I get mine here.

http://www.hyperdrug.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FRONTC6
  • sassybird
    Options
    Seeing as how you all seem to be on the right track with the eradication of these little darlings - here's my Christmas Horror Story.....

We moved into our first house 19 years ago, at the end of August 1987. The house had been empty for around 4 months as the owners had bought bigger and had already moved (with we found out later - their four cats).

All carpets and a few curtains were left for us (good condition too) .... GREAT we thought - we can concentrate on buying furniture and settling in. We turned on the central heating the weekend we moved in. :eek:

Within a couple of days I was getting bitten. With us having no pets in the house and with my hubby not showing any signs of bites (lucky s*d!), I didn't have a clue what was happening.

After a week I had 21 BITES on my legs. And the diagnosis of fleas was made by a colleage at work. :o Suddenly everybody at work was an expert on fleas - not that THEY had ever had them or anything - but they knew of somebody who had, and the cures ranged from ripping out the whole interior of the house, to bleaching and boil washing everything!

I felt like a leper - I was ringing round vets like mad, bought four tins of Acclaim spray and had to wash everything I could (not by boiling I must add). The spray was absolutely fabulous and the fleas did clear quickly. When we got dogs a year or so later, we definitely kept a good flea clearing programme insitu.

So, as usually required at this wonderful time of year, there is a lovely warm glow at the happy ending of this story ......

er, hold on .... why is the cat scratching like mad???? :rolleyes:

[B]
    HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL -
    HERE'S TO THE NEXT YEAR OF MONEY SAVING AND
    ENDING 2007 WISER AND RICHER!!
    [/B]
    sassybird
  • Mrs_pbradley936
    Options
    Well a few years ago we took our cat to the vet about fleas, paid a huge bill, came home and a few days later noticed more fleas. My husband phoned the vet to say that the stuff had not worked only to be told “It does not kill the fleas – it stops them from breeding!”
  • Wickedkitten
    Options
    lisa_75 wrote:
    No you don't. The stuff I buy online is exactly the same as the stuff I get from the vets, but half the price.

I get mine here.

http://www.hyperdrug.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FRONTC6

That is the exact stuff that we got about a month ago from VetUk that takes an absolute age to dry which is a PITA when you have two kittens to put it on, and it most definitely is not the same stuff that our vet uses which is this one, that you DEFINITELY need a prescription to get

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=21_47_126&products_id=538

The site you linked to has the same stuff which they can't even sell because it needs a prescription

http://www.hyperdrug.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FRONTLINEC
    It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.
  • **purplemoon**
    Options
    That is the exact stuff that we got about a month ago from VetUk that takes an absolute age to dry which is a PITA when you have two kittens to put it on, and it most definitely is not the same stuff that our vet uses which is this one, that you DEFINITELY need a prescription to get

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=21_47_126&products_id=538

The site you linked to has the same stuff which they can't even sell because it needs a prescription

http://www.hyperdrug.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FRONTLINEC

You're talking about the new Frontline Combo though, which is a completely different product to the original Frontline, and yes it does need a prescription. The original Frontline is available WITHOUT prescription as a spot-on treatment. Not sure what you mean about it taking ages to dry though, both the original and the combo are applied exactly the same on the back of that neck :confused:

More info here for those interested http://www.merialvetsite.com/sites/riversidevet/Protect_your_pet!1512.html
    Introducing New Frontline Combo,
    This new product not only provides all the benefits of Frontline, but now includes a new second active ingredient, (S)- methoprene, an insect growth regulator.

Frontline has always been very effective at killing adult fleas, ticks and lice on your pet, but as a pet owner you are also at risk of flea infestations in your home caused by immature stages of the flea life- cycle (eggs, larvae and pupae).

Frontline Combo is the only product currently available offering the two active ingredients, providing a 2-in-1 action in the fight against fleas in one spot on pipette. So when you treat your cat or dog with Frontline Combo you are not only killing the adult fleas but also preventing the development of the eggs, larvae and pupae that cause the infestations in your home.

Personally I'd prefer to continue using the orignal Frontline on my dog and use Acclaim to kill any fleas in the house rather than overloading the animal with so many toxic chemicals with something like the Combo, but that's just my opinion :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure