Dog Dental costs?

I know my dogs teeth are in a poor state and while he was at the vets last week i asked her to have a quick look. She explained that they did look in poor health, he's a pug, and would need looking at sooner rather then later. She said that he would have to go under to do this and that if it was a matter of a good clean we could expect to pay £100+, but if extraction is necessary which i think is likely it could rise to £200+ is this about right?
regards viv

Comments

• Soubrette
    Soubrette Posts: 4,118 Forumite
    VLT wrote: »
    I know my dogs teeth are in a poor state and while he was at the vets last week i asked her to have a quick look. She explained that they did look in poor health, he's a pug, and would need looking at sooner rather then later. She said that he would have to go under to do this and that if it was a matter of a good clean we could expect to pay £100+, but if extraction is necessary which i think is likely it could rise to £200+ is this about right?
    regards viv

My dog had 5 teeth extracted when we had him in 2008 plus a thorough tooth clean and scrape, it was done under general and cost about £203 (this came well over the estimate of £110 though). The vet was so appalled by the state of his teeth that he felt I should go back to the charity we had the dog from and get them to pay, but heyho - you take on these things and the charity needs the money for other dogs so we didn't bother :)

TBH he was so miserable afterwards that I now clean his teeth every other day and at both annual checks since the vet has commenting on how clean his teeth are (they are in general poor condition, he was probably a cage or stone biter before he came to us as they are all chipped).

Do you have insurance? I know most exclude tooth care but I think there are a few exceptions depending on who you are insured with and the reasoning behind the extractions.

Sou
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    It sounds about right to me, my Cat had a scale & polish with one extraction & it was just over £200
  • vicx
    vicx Posts: 3,091 Forumite
    My dog had all but 4 of his teeth extracted about 5 year ago and it cost me around £350. The price you have been quoted seems about right but be prepared to pay more than £200 if quite a few teeth need to be extracted.
    A home without a dog is like a flower without petals.
  • ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    I asked my vet for a breakdown of costs when one of my cats had gum disease. The main cost is the anaesthetic, then the cost of a clean and de-scale. If any extractions have to be done there is a cost per tooth plus extra time under anaesthesia and care duting recovery. Probably painkillers and antibiotics, too.

If you have this sort of costing available it is better than an "estimate" to help judge costs and you can actually shop around, if you are happy to do that.
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • moomin5
    moomin5 Posts: 404 Forumite
    My greyhound had 4 or might have been 6 ( i can't remember) teeth extracted a few worn/chipped front ones and some back ones in 2008 and that cost £160, which included some antibiotics. Then in 2009 he broke a back tooth and it had become loose so he had another dental which was £130 but he didn't need any medication that time. The 1st time i rang round a few local vets to get a rough quote to check costs as i'd not used the local vet before to know if there prices were fair or if i should go with a different practice.

Its worth bearing in mind that the location can cause higher overheads which in turn means prices are higher than other areas.
  • VLT
    VLT Posts: 326 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for all the advice it is much appreciated.
  • picklepick
    picklepick Posts: 4,048 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    VLT, the practice i use in Stockport offers discounted dental treatment. As hes a pug im guessing hes in the lower weight price bracket....

Heres a link to their prices
    http://www.greenbankvets.co.uk/pages/about-us/price-list---dental.php
    What matters most is how well you walk through the fire
  • VLT
    VLT Posts: 326 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well Vincent is back from the vets and I'm £250 pounds lighter in my pocket! As expected they were in a bad state and had to have all but 4 removed. Hopefully he will be much more comfortable now and the bad taste in the mouth has gone.
    Thanks for all the advice. VLT
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport