Sainsbury's price increases after Argos group takeover

Comments

• dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    soul1 wrote: »
    Hi with regards to Pepsi 2l bottles, Tesco's normal price is 1.25 and Waitrose had it on offer a few weeks ago for a 1.00. Therefore I have no idea tbh if the increase in price has come from Pepsi themselves or Sainsbury's. Fair point though :)

The current Waitrose offer is 2 for £2.50
    http://www.waitrose.com/shop/OfferDetails?offerId=13575444
  • Blimey, I thought the question was very valid and surprised about the many challenges.

I do agree that Sainsburys have introduced many increases that I have not seen in ASDA, Morrisons or Tesco.

I can accept the small % increase due to wholesale costs / exchanges rates etc but those I have observed are across the whole range of my usual purchases. It's not just 1p here or 3p there, it's 5p or 10p on many items costings less that £1. So we're talking an increase between 5% and 10%. I think they are taking the ;;;;!

I am now shopping elsewhere but I think they are heading for a rather rude awakening when the proportion of their customers who are price sensitive (like me) realise this issue and also shop elsewhere. They will be left with those happy to pay the extra. At least the stores will be very quiet with certainly few queues at the checkout for them!

As I'm a sad retired old git, I will compare an online shop one day from last year with current prices and drop their Directors an email to explain why I shop elsewhere. Doubt if they'll care but at least I've given them a chance to address before everyone else spots it!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The main reason of prices going up is oil. It's bought in USD. Which the value of the pound went down after Brexit. Economists warned that this will happen almost straight away before the vote. They were right.

Oil in its different by products is used for transportation, packaging etc so prices naturally increase.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The main reason of prices going up is oil .

It really isn't, you know. Oil prices are still significantly lower than they were a few years ago. They fell dramatically and are currently struggling to rise, following the last OPEC decision to hang together.

There are a lot of factors at work and they include, raw material price rises, shortages and seasonal fluctuations, the increased minimum wage, the (well publicised) decision of some producers to take advantage of the current situation, retailers seeking to increase their margins... Oil is just one factor.

And, of course, a darned good excuse.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Blimey, I thought the question was very valid and surprised about the many challenges.

I do agree that Sainsburys have introduced many increases that I have not seen in ASDA, Morrisons or Tesco.

I can accept the small % increase due to wholesale costs / exchanges rates etc but those I have observed are across the whole range of my usual purchases. It's not just 1p here or 3p there, it's 5p or 10p on many items costings less that £1. So we're talking an increase between 5% and 10%. I think they are taking the ;;;;!

I am now shopping elsewhere but I think they are heading for a rather rude awakening when the proportion of their customers who are price sensitive (like me) realise this issue and also shop elsewhere. They will be left with those happy to pay the extra. At least the stores will be very quiet with certainly few queues at the checkout for them!

As I'm a sad retired old git, I will compare an online shop one day from last year with current prices and drop their Directors an email to explain why I shop elsewhere. Doubt if they'll care but at least I've given them a chance to address before everyone else spots it!

I'm not sure you understand the situation and how little the Directors will care about your views given the size of the industry and the size of the mountain it's facing.

Food inflation will make a fairly dramatic comeback over the coming weeks/months as hedging on some commodities/currency runs out on top of the brexit uncertainty, winter shortages and need for all in the supply chain to start to show some level of return to shareholders.

Those shoppers who believe they have some power with their feet will have a rude awakening and I certainly wouldn't be holding any shares in Poundland/Poundworld etc and expecting a return based on their current model
  • soul1
    soul1 Posts: 108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    k3lvc wrote: »
    I'm not sure you understand the situation and how little the Directors will care about your views given the size of the industry and the size of the mountain it's facing.

Food inflation will make a fairly dramatic comeback over the coming weeks/months as hedging on some commodities/currency runs out on top of the brexit uncertainty, winter shortages and need for all in the supply chain to start to show some level of return to shareholders.

Those shoppers who believe they have some power with their feet will have a rude awakening and I certainly wouldn't be holding any shares in Poundland/Poundworld etc and expecting a return based on their current model

Hi, unfortunately I totally disagree with your thinking. My post was simply to inform members and raise awareness of what Sainsbury's are currently doing. Having spoken to the staff at my local Sainsbury's store, the biggest complaint at the moment are the price increases. If people start shopping elsewhere, of course the Directors should and will take notice.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    k3lvc wrote: »
    A company that's too arrogant to listen to its customers can only be headed in one direction.

Sainsbury's CS team is one of the most responsive I know of. That's not to say anything will change, but they will acknowledge your concerns OP.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • soul1
    soul1 Posts: 108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    A company that's too arrogant to listen to its customers can only be headed in one direction.

Sainsbury's CS team is one of the most responsive I know of. That's not to say anything will change, but they will acknowledge your concerns OP.

I certainly hope so. Just to add I have spoken to Sainsbury's Careline with regards to this. Let's see what happens :)
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Blimey, I thought the question was very valid and surprised about the many challenges.

Its a discussion, not everyone will agree with the OP and others will give an alternative theory.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    soul1 wrote: »
    Hi, unfortunately I totally disagree with your thinking. My post was simply to inform members and raise awareness of what Sainsbury's are currently doing. Having spoken to the staff at my local Sainsbury's store, the biggest complaint at the moment are the price increases. If people start shopping elsewhere, of course the Directors should and will take notice.

From how busy I saw the store was on saturday and last week customers will still continue coming back.

Will be a long long long time before customers shop elsewhere. Many reasons why they do some are the store is easiest to walk too, shopped there before and can get everything they came for.

Im not disputing the price increases arent happening but customers arent put off hy them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure