What do I do - husband wont pay mortgage

Comments

• Oops forgot to tell you, once you have got him off the mortgage, write to equifax and experian asking to be disassociated with him financially, it could be a good move for your credit rating if he defaults on things.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Thanks. I must have read your mind as I did the letters to equifax etc earlier after I found out he looks like he will be going bankrupt (he hasnt made any payments on any of his debts since february). Thank goodness I pay everything in my name and the one and only (apart from mortgage) bill in joint names.

Our mortgage was a self cert with light adverse credit due to the fact I wasnt working when we bought the house and we went for it so we could borrow more than 3.5 X his salary. Within a year I was out to work full time and I now earn more than him.

I know it is nasty but having read your post I realise I can totally stuff him in every way financially now. The worst that can happen is that I wont get a mortgage for a couple of years and will have to rent. So be it, I will be able to spend the £20k house equity on clearing all debts and have £10-15k in the bank for a deposit later, which I can add to. I might also dip into it for a darned good holiday.

Thanks for helping me see the wood through the trees.
  • Bendybops19
    Bendybops19 Posts: 11,212 Forumite
    I dont often venture into this part of the boards...but i am glad i did because its reassured me how helpful everyone on here is :)

MortgageMamma, that was amazing for you to offer to help onmyownatlast by ringing mortgage express for her :)

Onmyownat last - you are sounding so much happier :) and soon you will completely rid of your husband and you will have a fresh start!

xx
    :starmod: :staradmin :starmod:
    I gave up jogging for my health when my thighs kept rubbing together and setting fire to my knickers
    :starmod: :staradmin :starmod:
  • Conrad
    Conrad Posts: 33,137
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The FSA requires Mortgage Express to 'Treat Customers Fairly (TCF) THROUGHOUT the lifecycle of the mortgage product'.

Furthermore they must demonstrate BY THIER ACTIONS that 'the fair treatment of customers is central to thier corporate culture'.
  • Thanks - people sometimes forget mortgage brokers are human beings with compassion and past life experience of their own. You have the upperhand onmyownatlast, so you will be ok. The missed payments will not stop you getting a mortgage but you may be on a slightly higher rate due to these, make sure you take professional advice and weigh up your options before embarking on another purchase by yourself.

Hopefully you will meet someone really fantastic in future who deserves you. I did, and I still smile to myself as I type whilst I think of him!

Make sure you read the fsa leaflet what happens when you cannot pay your mortgage. You will find it through this link www.fsa.gov.uk

Good luck

MM
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • My husband left me yesterday and our mortgage payment is due on Friday. I can guarantee he will cancel the direct debit and I wont have the money to pay it. What can I do? There is no chance of a payment holiday as I asked a couple of weeks ago and the mortgage company dont offer that facility.

I work full time so not on benefits, the house is on the market already but no buyer at the moment. Our mortgage is huge and there is no way I can cover it on my own and pay other bills like food, gas and electric.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

It may be the last thing you want to hear, but have you tried talking to him about it?
  • rachnbri
    rachnbri Posts: 953
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Slightly off the subject but have you informed tax credits of your husband moving out (or made a claim if you haven't already)? Depending on your income they may pay anything up to 80% of your childcare.
  • zag2me
    zag2me Posts: 695
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Seems a good point to remind everyone they should have a savings fund of at least 6 months of mortgage payments for emergency situations like these.

Of course its always easy to say that now with hindsight, but worth reminding people to plan ahead.
    Save save save!!
  • Yeah, don't get married you mean? lol
  • Beanie, I am not able to contact him and vice versa. He is also not allowed to make any contact with his daughter (or indirectly through his family). Its part of his bail conditions after i pressed charges for assault on monday. I have contacted tax credits but I earn a fair amount so they only pay 25% better than nothing though.

I have received a bill for £1200 because the roof sprung a leak monday night too so have to find that money now, although my solicitor has said she will ask for me to be reimbursed through the divorce settlement as he is liable for half of it even if it takes time. I have contacted my employer to see if I can take a 2nd job and they have said its in my contract that I cant, however I might see if there is something through a friend that might be cash in hand. When I will have time I dont know as I already work 50hrs a week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure