MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Alan give the laptop back?

Comments

• disney_cjd
    disney_cjd Posts: 1,249 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Take it and screw the store. a) their mistake not Alan's' b) the person on the till should have spotted it and withdrawn it from sale.

I really do not get why people are even asking what he should do. He did not steal it. He paid the price that they asked. If no one questioned it before he paid then tough.

Screw morals, Alan is a MSE in my mind, just saved 396 quid on a laptop!!
    Self confessed Florida expert :) with over 320 trips there!
    Co host of the Disneybrit and Eye on Orlando Podcasts
    and Craig Duncan Soul Show on Orlando Sky Radio :)

• Johan
    Johan Posts: 67 Forumite
    Cannot give it back unless I knew the manager in person, if so a discount would be in order!
  • fad1211
    fad1211 Posts: 252 Forumite
    had a similar experience for a small item.

went to my local M&S to return some trousers which i bought in the sale for £5. I gave it back with the original reciept. The guy refunded me £15. ALthough i was aware at the checkouts of the extra £10 being refunded onto my card, i couldnt bring myself to tell him. After the transaction, he gave me the refund slip, but i couldnt move from there as I just felt guilty as hell. Eventually, i just had to tell him and he thanked me for my honesty, and said many would've just walked away. He then charged me the extra £10 he refunded.

Atleast i walked away with a clear conscience and felt good about myself
  • I would return it and might ask for a discount in a pleasant way. I like to earn the stuff I have.;)
    Be nice, life is too short to be anything else.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If it was a large store I'd be running out of the store so fast that the Manager wouldn't be able to catch me to explain the problem and ask if I would pay the difference.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • emmamed
    emmamed Posts: 813 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    plain and simple no i wouldnt give it back, its there fault
  • katecheshire
    katecheshire Posts: 229 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Wouldn't you feel really shady every time you used it?
    And what if it broke or got stolen - would you expect a replacement or the full amount back? (not much chance with your 3.99 receipt!)
  • PBA
    PBA Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    Well if even the manager came out and said it was fine then it's ok. Though I'd love to find a store where a cashier thinks a laptop goes for 4 quid.

Actually reminds me of one of the big electrical stores where I worked as a temp for a few weeks back in the late 90s. They stupidly decided to sack a bunch of us at lunchtime but wanted us to work until the end of the day. An amazing amount of free stuff got sent out, though I've always wondered how their customers reacted when they'd ordered one washing machine but actually got delivered 10!
  • stogiebear
    stogiebear Posts: 95 Forumite
    My first instinct when anyone walks up to me in a shop wearing a tie is that I'm just about to be lied to. It's second nature to most of us who aren't sleepwalking through life.

So when I get the story about "trainee cashier..." blah blah blah I find it hard to feel the pain. If it was a Curry's then I'd not only take it, I'd spit in their faces on the way out! This crappy chain of imbeciles has the worst service reputation I know.

I'm pretty sure the shop who had just tried to sell me an 'extended warranty' on this very same laptop don't have the same gullible sense of obligation and morality that some of the posters here seem to have.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but these sales people are not your mates trying to do you a favor and find you a great deal. They are ruthless lying sneaks who would kill their families to make employee of the month.
  • printedinuk
    printedinuk Posts: 29 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Difficult one but I think a saving of that magnitude might force me to point out the error although I doubt, if it was a typical high street chain store, they would be inclined to do the same for me!

I have never worked as a cashier but I assume, with such frequent use of debit/credit cards, it would be easy for a cashier to miss a pricing error, even of that magnitude? Surely they would simply reply on the till to do its job?

A friend of mine once bought a number of items from a small local shop and both him and the owner were so busy conversing that they didn't notice that the owner had made a mistake on the credit card machine in my friend's favour, to the tune of about £200 (on a purchase which should have been about £500). When he got home and checked his receipts he realised the mistake and returned to the shop to point out the error; he was rewarded for his honesty with a fine bottle of champagne and a good dose of satisfaction with his honest actions!

Recntly I bought a number of items from Primark and when the cashier told me the total I was surprised as it was £50 when I expected it to be about £100. I voiced my concern, asking him if he was sure that he had scanned all the items and he said yes, he was sure. As I walked out of the shop I checked the receipt and found that he had indeed failed to scan half of the items. Since I had already raised my concerns and been dismissed I decided simply to leave it, content with my unofficial "discount"! On reflection, perhaps I should have advised the manager of the cashier's generous discount policy?!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure