PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How do I stop my magic eraser from falling to bits?

I love the flash magic erasers for cleaning. We have been cleaning for house viewings and these things are fab. The problem is that they fall to bits really quickly. I cut them in half before use but by the time I use one to clean the bath for example, there are bits coming off it. It is such a great product but not cost effective if it keeps doing this.
Are there any alternatives or am I doing something wrong?
Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
(he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
:D:D:D

Comments

• joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I've been buying the ones from Poundl*nd since before Flash even brought them out! They still fall apart quite quickly but at £1 for 2 decent sized pieces of eraser it doesn't break the bank as much.

Denise
  • I wonder if you put it into an old nylon 'pop sock it would help it stay in one piece They are pretty cheap from the poundshop though and nothing lasts forever :)
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    I thought about putting it inside something but I figured that the cleaning power is in the texture of the sponge.
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
  • cutestkids
    cutestkids Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I have not found a way to stop this happening. I just buy the cheapest ones from the £1 shop or similar because they work just as well as the more expensive ones
    1 Sealed Pot Challenge # 1480
    2 Stopped Smoking 28/08/2011
    3 Joined Payment A Day Challenge 3/12/2011
    4 One debt vs 100 days part 15 £579.62/ £579.62New challenge £155.73/£500
    5 Pay off as much as you can in 2013 challenge!£6609.20 / £7500
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    I think that is what I will have to do although I don't want to even pay 50p each for something that doesn't last more than a few goes.
    What we need is someone to come on and tell us about an amazing homemade version that works just as well.
  • decent dollop of elbow grease ,works for me most of the time :):):)
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I always though they were for removing stubborn marks like scuff marks on skirting, not for general everyday cleaning

I've some here in the house must be 10 years old and are used very rarely. Stardrops and a cloth for everything else
  • adhara
    adhara Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    That's their nature I'm afraid - they'll fall apart with any force on rough surfaces! They are amazing, but I think they're useless for everyday cleaning - much cheaper to use a microfibre cloth and your liquid of choice. I reserve mine for the stuff I clean rarely, like trainers ;)

As for buying - Flash are a complete rip off. You'd be better off buying online, I got 30 sponges for less than a tenner from ebay.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I cut mine into about 8ths, which gives a smaller bit to hold onto, but I care less if it does fall to pieces in one cleaning job. Some of the falling to pieces is from the bulk being squashed in use, so thin pieces makes sense to me.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport