Royal Mail Shares

Comments

• I don't consider myself as an "old hand" at anything.

because sheep don't have hands.
  • Royal Mail I feel is inevitably doomed without some really clever footwork, as delivering bits of paper is a dying industry.

They actually delivered 3% more of those 'bits of paper' last year. Although I agree they need to diversify and change some of there operations, they've got a great platform to do this with.
  • When you apply to buy on the official page it asks for payment details, do you make payment now or on the day depending on what you asked for and get then the payment comes out of your account?
  • because sheep don't have hands.

Horses do, though.
  • Perelandra
    Perelandra Posts: 1,060 Forumite
    edited 28 September 2013 at 10:26AM
    When you apply to buy on the official page it asks for payment details, do you make payment now or on the day depending on what you asked for and get then the payment comes out of your account?

It gets taken immediately on the website. If you get fewer than your maximum, you later receive a refund.

If you apply through an intermediary, the funds will be taken on or after 5pm on the 8th October (well, that's how x-o want the money at least!).
  • They actually delivered 3% more of those 'bits of paper' last year. Although I agree they need to diversify and change some of there operations, they've got a great platform to do this with.

I appreciate they get paid for delivering it but a lot of the stuff that they push through my door goes straight in the bin. I can't see it being paid for at a premiun rate.
    "If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future.".....

"big business is parasitic, like a mosquito, whereas I prefer the lighter touch, like that of a butterfly. "A butterfly can suck honey from the flower without damaging it," "Arunachalam Muruganantham
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm not sure about these shares, what is the general consensus of opinion regarding a quick profit by getting out quickly? They are talking about a decent yield of about 6%, but surely that is either unsustainable or they are being sold too cheaply?
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • Rollinghome
    Rollinghome Posts: 2,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 September 2013 at 12:11PM
    I'm not sure about these shares, what is the general consensus of opinion regarding a quick profit by getting out quickly? They are talking about a decent yield of about 6%, but surely that is either unsustainable or they are being sold too cheaply?
    No government, nor the underwriters, would want the issue to be a flop or to be accused of "luring in small investors" and causing them an immediate loss. Nor will they want to be accused of "lining the pockets of the rich" by giving away national assets. So the intention will be to price them to sell but not at too glaring a discount.

If you're thinking of stagging the issue then the best time to sell depends on a lot of factors. If a lot of punters have the same intention, including those who got a bigger allocation than they expected and are consequently short of readies, and try to sell immediately then that could initially hold the price down and you could find you get a better price a couple of months down the line - or not. If the institutions find themselves short of stock then selling immediately could be the best short-term option.

What you can count on is that all buyers will try to time their buys to pay as little as possible and all sellers will try to time their sales to get as much as possible.
  • If you want £1000 worth I'd be a bit surprised if you didn't get them in full. The politics make privatisations different to a normal IPO and governments will always want to be seen to be looking after small investors.

Yes, I would expect small applications to be allocated in full. The government won't want the political backlash of personal investors applying for £750 or £1000 and only getting a few hundred quids worth. Many of them will sell to the institutional investors immediately after launch anyway.

I'm going to decide what to do before Monday but I'm leaning towards a punt of £1000 then sell immediately if there is a big rise in price otherwise keep for at least long enough to get the promised dividend. It's in the long term that I don't have huge faith in the value of RM as an investment.

Hargreaves Lansdown have a good FAQ about the share offer: http://www.hl.co.uk/royal-mail/faq
  • Doshwaster wrote: »
    Yes, I would expect small applications to be allocated in full. The government won't want the political backlash of personal investors applying for £750 or £1000 and only getting a few hundred quids worth. Many of them will sell to the institutional investors immediately after launch anyway.

I'm going to decide what to do before Monday but I'm leaning towards a punt of £1000 then sell immediately if there is a big rise in price otherwise keep for at least long enough to get the promised dividend. It's in the long term that I don't have huge faith in the value of RM as an investment.

Hargreaves Lansdown have a good FAQ about the share offer: http://www.hl.co.uk/royal-mail/faq

I just hope the real shares are more successful than the phantom shares that were allocated to employees and for some turned out to be virtually worthless.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure