Fine for not renewing road tax

Comments

• Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Conor wrote: »
    WRONG. The law changed a couple of years ago. Now if you haven't bought a tax disc by the first day of the month following the expiry of the old one or declared SORN, you're liable for an £80 fine.

Conor, I never spotted your post before today.

You're wrong, I suggest you phone up the DVLA and ask them if they only check their database at the end of each month, and then and only then do they issue fines to vehicles with a gap in their tax cover. Ask them if you renewed on the 10th of the month, would you receive a fine? Their answer will be "no".

The only exception is if during the expired period you keep it on a public road, and that it is officially seen and noted.
  • Wig wrote: »
    If there is no gap of cover 15 days early, if there has been a gap in cover - official SORN declared, and you are atarting anew, 5 days.

'If your tax is due to run out at the end of the month, you can renew it from the 15th day of the month.' So if mines ends 31/3/08 and I renew the road tax on the 17th, would the tax start from the 1/4/08?

Thanks
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    BigSaver wrote: »
    'If your tax is due to run out at the end of the month, you can renew it from the 15th day of the month.' So if mines ends 31/3/08 and I renew the road tax on the 17th, would the tax start from the 1/4/08?

Thanks

Yes, if you bought a year it would expire on 31/3/09. You would need an insurance certificate and MOT, if applicable, that is valid on the day the tax becomes due, which is 01/04/08.
  • Wig

Thanks

Yes, the tax discs are all printed to expire at the end of the month reffered to on the disc. There is no tax disc that says for example 17-03-09. If you renew your tax early to begin in the following month it will always be valid from 1st of the following month. Just make sure you tell the person you are renewing early, and want the disc to begin in the folloowing month not the current month.

And like above said, have a valid insurance cert and valid MOT for the 1st Apr 08, and also the person named on the V5 as the registered keeper must also be reffered to in the insurance certificate.
  • pompeyrich wrote: »
    Yes, if you bought a year it would expire on 31/3/09. You would need an insurance certificate and MOT, if applicable, that is valid on the day the tax becomes due, which is 01/04/08.

Would I have to wait until the V11 doc arrives and then go to the post office on 17th to get it processed...or can renew without the V11?

Thanks
  • Wig
    You can do it without V11, you will need your V5 instead. The V11 means you don't need to take your V5. If you don't have a V11 you need a V5.

If you just bought the car the small tear off strip on the V5 for the new keeper is sufficient.
  • Wig wrote: »
    You can do it without V11, you will need your V5 instead. The V11 means you don't need to take your V5. If you don't have a V11 you need a V5.

If you just bought the car the small tear off strip on the V5 for the new keeper is sufficient.

Thanks

So road tax cant only be renewed 15 days before it expiries...why can it do done 30days before?
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    You can renew your tax disk online with the DVLA too - far easier that way plus you don't need to mess about with insurance and MOT documents like you do when you go to the Post Office. Tax disk arrives in the post - no problem.
  • Wig
    Thanks

So road tax cant only be renewed 15 days before it expiries...why can it do done 30days before?

If I understand you correctly you are saying

"road tax can only be renewed upto 15 days before expiry... why not 30 days"

In Singapore I just found out you can renew upto 3 months early.

Consider this....
    It is possible to send your old tax disc for a refund for any complete months remaining. What you do is send it to DVLA and date the form at the end of the month 29th, 30th 31st. So *if* you could renew 30 days early you could have a new tax disc starting the following month, and then return your current disc for a refund of the current month. And still be able to display a tax disc expiring 13 months time, so it may be overlooked by trafficwardens etc.

Like I say it would have to be officially SORN, so if it were seen on the road it could be fined for being unlicensed. In the old days it would be unlikely to be spotted and would appear to have a tax disc displayed, so they had a 15 days early cut off rule. and that rule has remained to this day. But in the modern world if it is SORN it is more likely to be spotted as an anomaly.

You are also correct to quote what you quoted "You can apply from the 15th day of the month in which your current tax disc runs out." It shows I was slightly innaccurate when I said upto 15 days early, the truth is you can do it from the 15th day of the month before, e.g. 15th Feb, 15th March, 15th Apr,
  • Horace wrote: »
    You can renew your tax disk online with the DVLA too - far easier that way plus you don't need to mess about with insurance and MOT documents like you do when you go to the Post Office. Tax disk arrives in the post - no problem.

If you doing it online, the 15days rule still apply right? The only problem is it maybe delayed in the post and this is my first time doing this, so if I take it to the post office.. then i know its going to be done.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure