Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Employment, Jobseeking & Training > Working for Group 4 Security (G4S) (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Working for Group 4 Security (G4S)
Views: 5,947
# 1
Old 01-04-2012, 1:20 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Working for Group 4 Security (G4S)

Hi,

Just wondered if anybody on here works for/has worked for G4S, or if they have any friends or family that work for them?

I wanted to know if they were a good employer to work for. Their advertising a couple of jobs local to me and I'm considering applying.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
TheSandman
Old 03-04-2012, 1:20 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Yes, while at school and university I used it as a part-time job which it was well suited for.

It's actually casual work in that they don't issue minimum hours, or fixed dates. The events they do are 24/7 so they just ask everyone when signing in at an event what shifts are available in the next week and which they'd like to do. This is what makes it an ideal PT job, averaging maybe two shifts a week but being able to take a couple of weeks off for exams with no trouble.

As for what they're like it's impossible to say. While I can say I never met a bad manager or supervisor it changes depending on location. What I will say though is that they're not some shoddy stewarding/security form of which there are many up and down the country. G4S is listed on the FTSE 100 alongside Vodafone, BP, Tesco etc so you can be sure they won't disappear overnight, rip you off or violate employment law.

As for the work it's standard that you'll be offered to work a football match or two every weekend and possibly midweek if a local team has a cup match or European game. Then there's festivals, concerts, rugby, it depends on what's on.

Pay is minimum wage but you get paid 4.5 hours for a football match since you arrive at 12.30 for a 3.00 KO. They get you in 90 minutes before turnstiles are open during which time you chat, drink tea or whatever. The hour before the match is when you have to work, showing people seats, ripping tickets or bag searches usually. Once the game starts you just stand about, how busy you get getting people to sit down or stop standing in the concourses depends on how much of a jobsworth you're going to be.

I would definately recommend it. It's a job I actually enjoyed and didn't want to leave.
# 3
getzls
Old 03-04-2012, 9:45 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Don't work for G4S though i know ones that do. Not sure where Sandman gets the football thing about as they do a lot more security than that. I would say they are no worse and probably better than most Security firms. Having worked in security for 11 years, in my experience that would not be hard.
# 4
KiKi
Old 03-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by getzls View Post
Don't work for G4S though i know ones that do. Not sure where Sandman gets the football thing about as they do a lot more security than that. I would say they are no worse and probably better than most Security firms. Having worked in security for 11 years, in my experience that would not be hard.
TheSandman didn't say they only do football work - but that's clearly his experience with them so he was sharing that as one thing that's often offered as weekend work. That's how I read it, anyway.

KiKi
' <-- See that? It's called an apostrophe. It does not mean "hey, look out, here comes an S".
# 5
Butts
Old 03-04-2012, 10:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I worked for Group Four a couple of years ago for about 18 months.

From the Security Companies I have worked for they were amongst the better. They have a computerised system which enables you to access your hours etc online.

Like most companies the biggest problem is the Pay Rates, unless you do relief work every assignment may have a different level of pay.

Some sites you work your nuts off for Minimum Wage or just above , others you get decent money for doing nothing all night or watching TV etc.

Can often be the luck of the draw
# 6
piggeh
Old 04-04-2012, 12:03 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

is it for the securities side the OP is enquiring about, as G4S provide a lot of different services these days, don't they?
matched betting: 879.63
# 7
honeypop
Old 04-04-2012, 9:53 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Yes they do many different services, OP if you could be more specific about which part of G4S you are referring to, maybe someone can help a bit more?
DS1 June 2009
DS2 Feb 2011
# 8
b1505
Old 04-04-2012, 2:18 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I've just applied for a safety stewards job with G4S. I have been booked in for an interview in two weeks time. What can I expect from this interview?
# 9
xxJudexx
Old 04-04-2012, 2:46 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I applied for a security job at the olympics with G4S. I passed all their interview stages and the security check then they told me they wanted me to do at least a months training in March and I wouldn't get paid until the start of the olympics in July! I couldn't afford to travel to london for a month without pay for so long so I had to turn it down Good luck with your interview! My interview was only about 20 mins long. They ask you very basic questions, and you have to do a sensory test. I had to sniff a glass and tell them what I thought was inside.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xxJudexx For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Old 14-04-2012, 7:13 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks for the replies. The positions I was looking at were not security guards or stewards, they were full time positions. The job spec is quite vague but it is basically counting money. I have`nt applied but may do in the future
# 11
honeypop
Old 15-04-2012, 10:31 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Then yes, I know someone who works at a cash services branch and they are overall a good employer to work for in regards to that sort of work.
DS1 June 2009
DS2 Feb 2011
# 12
wantsajob
Old 14-07-2012, 5:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxJudexx View Post
I applied for a security job at the olympics with G4S. I passed all their interview stages and the security check then they told me they wanted me to do at least a months training in March and I wouldn't get paid until the start of the olympics in July! I couldn't afford to travel to london for a month without pay for so long so I had to turn it down
Guess this explains the current fiasco.
The Following User Says Thank You to wantsajob For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
molerat
Old 14-07-2012, 8:14 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

They are advertising for someone to organise a !!!! up in a brewery as at present they have not got anyone who can do it.
www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html

Last edited by molerat; 14-07-2012 at 8:18 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to molerat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
maninthestreet
Old 14-07-2012, 8:27 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Latest news ia that G4S aren't sure how many of those hired for the olympics can actually speak or read English....
"You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
# 15
SueC
Old 14-07-2012, 10:40 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by molerat View Post
They are advertising for someone to organise a !!!! up in a brewery as at present they have not got anyone who can do it.
: rotfl:
# 16
Owain Moneysaver
Old 14-07-2012, 11:56 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by maninthestreet View Post
Latest news ia that G4S aren't sure how many of those hired for the olympics can actually speak or read English....
Probably no different from all the other companies that are building and running the site then.
Wins and Freebies: ττhραṡτε, τεα-τώεl
# 17
xxJudexx
Old 26-07-2012, 3:56 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

As previously stated I was given a job but couldn't work in March and not get paid until July. Even after they sent me my P45 I was getting daily phone messages asking me to pick up my uniform and security pass! It's baffling to think that people not even employed by G4S could just stroll into the stadium, show their pass and get access! I'm glad I don't have any Olympics tickets!
# 18
monkeys1979
Old 28-05-2013, 10:54 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSandman View Post
Yes, while at school and university I used it as a part-time job which it was well suited for.

It's actually casual work in that they don't issue minimum hours, or fixed dates. The events they do are 24/7 so they just ask everyone when signing in at an event what shifts are available in the next week and which they'd like to do. This is what makes it an ideal PT job, averaging maybe two shifts a week but being able to take a couple of weeks off for exams with no trouble.

As for what they're like it's impossible to say. While I can say I never met a bad manager or supervisor it changes depending on location. What I will say though is that they're not some shoddy stewarding/security form of which there are many up and down the country. G4S is listed on the FTSE 100 alongside Vodafone, BP, Tesco etc so you can be sure they won't disappear overnight, rip you off or violate employment law.

As for the work it's standard that you'll be offered to work a football match or two every weekend and possibly midweek if a local team has a cup match or European game. Then there's festivals, concerts, rugby, it depends on what's on.

Pay is minimum wage but you get paid 4.5 hours for a football match since you arrive at 12.30 for a 3.00 KO. They get you in 90 minutes before turnstiles are open during which time you chat, drink tea or whatever. The hour before the match is when you have to work, showing people seats, ripping tickets or bag searches usually. Once the game starts you just stand about, how busy you get getting people to sit down or stop standing in the concourses depends on how much of a jobsworth you're going to be.

I would definately recommend it. It's a job I actually enjoyed and didn't want to leave.
Hi sandman! I recently started working for G4S events but, I haven't been given any shifts to do yet but, they do say there is a chance they can overbook an event and some people may not get any shifts. My question for you is, how much notice do they give you before an event mate? They say you will get a text and email before each event you register for and, you just need to click the link and confirm you can work. I'm just not sure how much notice they give you. Appreciated if you can help!
# 19
TheAngel
Old 01-09-2014, 6:28 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Here are my experiences on working for G4S in the States:

G4S responded to my online application relatively quick. Had to travel 80 miles for the job interview. Very professional staff. I had applied for a full-time position (Upscale Security Officer), but was offered USO FLEX, which means that you have to be "flexible" and can be sent around to different job sites. (Later on I found out that they try to push a lot of people into "FLEX"). I accepted, because I needed a job. I did the drug test the same day of the interview.

About a week later, when drug test and background check had come back, I was invited to orientation and training. Again, 80 miles one way. I had changed my mind about being "flexible" in location and hours, and so I waived the invitation.

I kept getting phonecalls by G4S asking me what they could do to get me on board. I told them that the "flexible part" was the reason I had changed my mind. And so eventually the job offer was changed from USO FLEX to the position I had initially applied for: USO (Upscale Security Officer).

Orientation was half a day (filling out W4, providing your drivers license, birth certificate, HS diploma etc.). Training was four and a half days. Orientation is unpaid. For the training they only pay minimum wage for the state you live in. I travelled over 800 miles the week of orientation and training, and got paid roughly $200 for being away from home 14 hours a day. =(
Instructors were nice. Studying and exams involved.

You get your DCJS (Department of Criminal Justice Services) registration (including fingerprinting etc.). You are NOT a licensed security officer after the training, only registered with the DCJS! G4S charges you for the fees to the DCJS: $75, to be subtracted from your paycheck in two payments.

By the end of the training you have to take the First Aid / CPR Class. Then they hand out uniforms and work schedules.

They seem a bit unorganized. Not sure if it's a transitional or a permanent thing.

Hope this helps anyone who's interested in working for G4S.