SunEdison

HI, we have been thinking of getting solar panels installed and have just had a rep from SunEdison at the house. It all seems a bit too good to be true, free panels, free installation and all the energy produced during the day is ours ... what the catch? Is there any?

has anybody had any dealings with this company, they are an american company and fairly new to the UK so I can't find any reviews?

Comments

• EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I Googled to find their website and read their FAQs

It appears to be another variation of the 'Rent a Roof' schemes. Main difference is that they want you to pay them for any of 'their' electricity you use but are promising you a rebate based on their FIT receipts (though I have my doubts about how they'd calculate the rebate !).

But like any other RaR scheme, you'd be obliged to keep the panels there for as long as you live in the house (or 20y 3m if that's shorter). If you sell, the new owner can have the panels removed but you'd have to pay £1500 for that to happen.

Have to say that if I didn't already have Solar Panels, I wouldn't be clamouring to join that scheme !
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I struggled a bit with this analysis on SE's website:

http://www.sunedisonenergysaverplan.co.uk/images/sunedison-energy-plan-table.jpg

The Year 1 electricity bill of £705 would equate (on my tariff) to an annual usage of 5245kWhs which is very high for most homes. This gave an estimated saving of £141 in Year 1. Because the initial usage assumption is high, then the savings going forward are also higher than they might be for most households.

By way of comparison, if the OP was to select a conventional 'rent a roof' scheme (if this animal still exists) then using a typical PV solar output of 3800kWhs per year of which 50% is used by the household then the annual savings would be £219.25 per year inflating (year-on-year) by the annual increase in electricity unit prices.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this type of scheme; however, like anything financial, the detail is in the small print.
  • we still haven't had any information from sunedison since we spoke to the rep, so don't have any figures yet to compare. I think they've forgotten about us!
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    helsbels72 wrote: »
    we still haven't had any information from sunedison since we spoke to the rep, so don't have any figures yet to compare. I think they've forgotten about us!
    I think it's pretty common for people trying a 'hard sell' to concentrate on the 'probables' and give up on the 'possibles'. No doubt they realise that anyone with enough nous to compare their offers with others is unlikely to be persuaded to buy.
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I wouldn't even bother chasing them - if they can't even be bother to get back to you I certainly wouldn't trust them to do the work...
  • I've just had a rep for sunedison and would like to know any downsides to this scheme before the guy returns next week thanks.
  • I've just had a rep for sunedison and would like to know any downsides to this scheme before the guy returns next week thanks.

Read above!

And just do a search on the forum for posts mentioning SunEdison.
    If you can't afford to pay for your own installation, then (scarily!) A Shade Greener would be a better option before this!!

Can't believe I've just written that!
    4kWp, SSE, SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    Now with added Sunsynk 5kw hybrid ecco inverter & 15kWh Fogstar batteries. Oh Octopus Energy too.
  • we never heard anything back from them ... nearly 2 months now! Given up on them!
  • ed110220
    ed110220 Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I think SunEdison have pulled out of the UK market.
    Solar install June 2022, Bath
    4.8 kW array, Growatt SPH5000 inverter, 2x Growatt ML33RTA batteries.
    SSW roof. ~22° pitch, BISF house. 12 x 400W Hyundai panels
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    helsbels72 wrote: »
    HI, we have been thinking of getting solar panels installed and have just had a rep from SunEdison at the house. It all seems a bit too good to be true, free panels, free installation and all the energy produced during the day is ours ... what the catch? Is there any?

has anybody had any dealings with this company, they are an american company and fairly new to the UK so I can't find any reviews?

SunEdison has just filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Protection in the USA.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/sunedison-files-for-chapter-11-bankruptcy-protection-1461247026
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure