PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hoarding...not just on TV

Comments

• valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You need some Scouts to get the stuff out of the house! Seriously, this is 1 of our fundraising plans for the scout group - I'll share it with you, so you can pass it on. DS1's explorer group lives at a scout group that have a yearly jumble sale including collection of stuff from peoples houses; we're planning a car boot sale where everything unsold goes to the dump or cs.

Hubby is a Cub leader, DS is an Explorer Scout, DD is a Scout. All in different groups atm and none of them have jumble sales! DS's ex Scout group leader does car boot sales though and he's been getting our unwanted toys for years now. But you could say I've got my own little Scout group here and indeed they will move stuff around when told to. But it would be much easier if I could fill a box, carry box to car, go back for next box. ATM there's a disconnect and stuff has to pile up in the hall till I've got a boot full, then it goes out to the car in one go.
    Val.
  • Valk - re the allotment shed - can you offer stuff to other allottment holders. Take what you know you will definitely use and offer the rest as a shed clearance (free) deal? There are bound to be some up there who will leap on any useless crud as vital 'could be uselful one day' stuff:D

I've definitely had to work on the 'what if world disaster strikes' scenario to get rid of stuff. But still find it impossible to get rid of excess screws and nails...on the basis of in a de industrialised world, the nail horder is [STRIKE]king[/STRIKE] queen:o:D.

I absolutely love only having one spare set of bedding and one spaire set of towels though, and our 2 plates, two bowls, 4 mugs etc etc. Makes my heart sing and couldn't bare to have any more. And yet I find it agony getting rid of a packet clothes pegs we never ever use: where's the mystified shruggy shoulder smilie when you need it?

Byatt -thanks for identifying with what I wrote yesterday - always makes it so worth while getting it out there when someone else realises they are not alone in this process.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Wow, busy morning for posts - haven't read them all yet.

Lurkers, you don't need to read the whole thread before you join, but if you do that's great. It's nearly the thread's 3 monthiversary, so I think we should find a way to mark the occasion.

With regard to husbands not liking being nagged. What works for us is if I have a list up with chores to be done. NB can't write the list with Dh's name at the top ie I can't write a list for him. I can write everything that is going on and then put my name in brackets after a task. I can put his name to anything he has specifically agreed to do (eg if he is more physically able). It is a good idea to include normal household chores too as these sometimes account for part of the available time. Then I have to allow two days past the deadline that I think they should be achieved by, for it all to get done. And if it's on the list, I have to keep quiet. It does kill me at times.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • valk_scot
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Charity shop run done. I put down the back of the state car and OH rather grumpily carried all the boxes and bags down for me, then two of the male volunteers were hanging around the back of the CS having a smoke so they unloaded for me. So that's a VAST pile of stuff gone and a nice clear area in the hall waiting for me to start the next Out pile.

I did go in the CS though, I need a new double bed frame for DS and this CS sells furniture. No bed, didn't look at anything else which was good. but...the sorting ladies, who I know, started asking me how I could bear to get rid of all the Tupperware and fancy fruit bowls etc, argh! Just what I needed. Not!
    Val.
  • Ill and shattered. Worked a 25.5 hr weekend and travelling home (buses) was also long and tiring! Coupled with a lovely cold/chest infection type thing my kids have gifted me

I have my piles of clothes for giving to various people/rags but I've lost track of which is which

I see clothes in the laundry that didn't belong to the kids before the weekend (granny). So god knows what has appeared in the house, OH is more than useless At telling me what came in rather than the description 'clothes'. The girls rain jackets I ordered over a week ago STILL are not here

Just having to ignore the state of the house! Am doing some laundry at least, but dont have the energy to iron what is already dry!
    No more unnecessary toiletries Feb 2014 INS: 24 UU: 13. Mar 2014. INS: lost count, naughty step for me! UU: 8
  • valk_scot
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Valk - re the allotment shed - can you offer stuff to other allottment holders. Take what you know you will definitely use and offer the rest as a shed clearance (free) deal? There are bound to be some up there who will leap on any useless crud as vital 'could be uselful one day' stuff:D

I've given quite a lot of things away already, actually. Big stuff like cold frames and tunnel cloches and a couple of water barrels. I've got a lot of friends up there and it's traditional to pass on genuinely valuable or hard to get items that you won't use. Excess tools get donated to the communal shed and sold cheaply to new plotholders. I'd hand on my shed too if it wasn't so elderly it will probably fall to bits if we moved it. So whoever gets my plot will be lucky, there will be a shed there already.

I was more thinking of the tat that you accumulate in your shed, like 50 plastic 3L bottles with the bases cut off (mini cloches) and dozens of freebie CDs from the front of magazines (string them up for bird scarers) and all the old punnets for picking. Real tat! So the new plotholder will get left this wonderful bounty to go with the old shed, lol. Can't be lucky all the time!
    Val.
  • elona wrote: »
    VJsmum

Maybe if you change the messages you give yourself?

You would not say to anyone else that "they were wrong" to buy a certain dress, top or whatever just because their tastes had changed or they lost weight or the item was no longer suitable. So why beat yourself up?

GQ

I am telling myself that if I use something then it is not clutter - collection of teabags, tinned tomatoes (with garlic - do I get extra points?) DD goes to university in less than two weeks and still need to get her nice bedding, duvet, pillows, small fry pan, crockery etc. Instead of getting a set of 12 or 20 items we have decided to get two of everything, plate, side plate bowl and use what we have if she likes it and it is suitable.

Oldest dd got taken to A&E last night and was admitted for kidney tests so looks like the next few days will be a bit frantic. Thought they would just check for possible appendix problem and then send her home with anti sickness tablets so disconcerted when she was admitted and glad I had packed a bag for her in about two minutes flat.

Hug to all

Hugs to you to Elona! Hope DD is ok.

we are so much harder on ourselves than on other people.
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (24), DS2 (16), and the lurcher.
  • Picklepot
    Picklepot Posts: 360 Forumite
    edited 3 September 2012 at 2:55PM
    Hi All

Still having no luck with my quote button. :mad:
    SJPrmcol Be kind to yourself, i've just come off nights which i dont normally do. My house felt like your post on my last morning. It can be overwhelming.

Progress report. I stayed up watching the para olympics last night at the same time Weeded out some 2008 bills from my concertina file.There was a load of receipts in there that if i had needed to return an item i would not have known they were there!! All shredded.

Just been in 'my side of the garage' took deep breath and plunged hands into first bag. I felt like i was on 'im a celebrity get me out of here' i hadn't a clue what scary emotion would be in there.(not worried about spiders or bugs)

Pack of fusty, bent ,damp and dried xmas cards in a crushed box (could i make them into xmas tags??? NO..).in the cardboard recycling.

Then OMG a bag of 39 odd socks !!:rotfl:
    Ok in my defence we have a spaniel who likes to carry things! Its usually my footwearr into the garden my slippers, shoes etc We used to make him sock bundles to carry about which lasted longer than any stuffed toy we bought.

Ok will make him 2 sock bundles, the rest in textile bag and note to self to put my shoes away so he cant take them in the garden:)
  • valk_scot
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Ha, after saying my enthusiasm was flagging I went and tackled the playhut in the garden. My DD is 11 next month and well past the age of playing with toy cookers in a playhouse. She didn't really want me to chuck her "treasures" out though so I made her a deal, one last summer and then we'd discuss it again. In fact she's not touched anything in the playhouse this summer and she's only been in there to get her spacehopper out so when we discussed it again last week she was absolutely fine about stuff going.

Well, the playhouse has been a bit of a last stop for many toys over the years so I wasn't absolutely surprised it was less a question of sorting, more a matter of stuffing it all into binbags and the back of the car for a dump run tomorrow. I got a bit of a wobble at the Aquaplay, it was expensive when we bought it fourteen years ago and there's still a lot of it but it's all developed that plastic measles rash and looks horrid. Still perfectly usable though and if my kids had been of the age for it...(metaphorically slaps self) ...I shoved it safely into the bags and into the car. I'm sure someone out there might want it but it would take me ten years or more to find them and in the meantime I need the playhouse for my new shed so I can bring the rest of the allotment essentials home. Out it goes!

I think I'll go for a little lie down now.....
    Val.
  • alec_eiffel
    alec_eiffel Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    valk_scot wrote: »
    Ha, after saying my enthusiasm was flagging I went and tackled the playhut in the garden. My DD is 11 next month and well past the age of playing with toy cookers in a playhouse. She didn't really want me to chuck her "treasures" out though so I made her a deal, one last summer and then we'd discuss it again. In fact she's not touched anything in the playhouse this summer and she's only been in there to get her spacehopper out so when we discussed it again last week she was absolutely fine about stuff going.

Well, the playhouse has been a bit of a last stop for many toys over the years so I wasn't absolutely surprised it was less a question of sorting, more a matter of stuffing it all into binbags and the back of the car for a dump run tomorrow. I got a bit of a wobble at the Aquaplay, it was expensive when we bought it fourteen years ago and there's still a lot of it but it's all developed that plastic measles rash and looks horrid. Still perfectly usable though and if my kids had been of the age for it...(metaphorically slaps self) ...I shoved it safely into the bags and into the car. I'm sure someone out there might want it but it would take me ten years or more to find them and in the meantime I need the playhouse for my new shed so I can bring the rest of the allotment essentials home. Out it goes!

I think I'll go for a little lie down now.....

Well done, that is really great work :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport