Would you work away from home for double your salary?

Comments

• The other thing you need to think about is exit opportunities. If your husband took this job, would he have good experience to find another job locally after a year or two?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Holiday Haggler
    edited 14 October 2016 at 10:55AM
    I've been offered opportunities like this before. I know I can't hack being away from my family this much. Living in hotels endlessly is soul destroying. Constant air flights are depressing. Daily inane conversations with taxis are terrible. The money isn't worth it to me. I've worked '4 days away, 3 days at home' for 6 months and it was horrible. That was before I had kids. I don't think anyone has ever said on their deathbed "I wish I'd worked harder".

So, no, if someone offered me double my salary to work away, I'd tell them I wasn't interested.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    One thing that will be the killer is if the job is 9am Mon to 5pm Friday

Add the travel and the weekend is gone if the location is quite a way.

If there is a bit of flexibility so you can at least get 3 full evenings at home and 2 days it can be a lot more tolerable.

if he is in the same location fairly regularly and it is predictable and interesting he can build up the knowledge base so that you and the kids can have long weekends full weeks when there is no school.
    The other advantage of this is hubby does not have to travel those weekends and that makes a big difference.

It also does not have to be hotels all the time which can get a bit soul destroying, sites like AirBnB have made accommodation options much easier to find, either short term room lets, apartments or even full houses.

Military families deal with this sort of thing on regular basis but if it is something you have never experienced in you life it can be little difficult adapting.

The up side is a couple of years of seriously good money could knock 5 years off retirement age.
  • Jackieboy
    Jackieboy Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    I've been offered opportunities like this before. I know I can't hack being away from my family this much. Living in hotels endlessly is soul destroying. Constant air flights are depressing. Daily inane conversations with taxis are terrible. The money isn't worth it to me. I've worked '4 days away, 3 days at home' for 6 months and it was horrible. That was before I had kids. I don't think anyone has ever said on their deathbed "I wish I'd worked harder".

So, no, if someone offered me double my salary to work away, I'd tell them I wasn't interested.

TBF, you're already on a decent salary and buying a family home in a nice area so not quite the same as someone on less money with debts and little financial security.
  • [Deleted User]
    Holiday Haggler
    edited 14 October 2016 at 11:05AM
    Jackieboy wrote: »
    TBF, you're already on a decent salary and buying a family home in a nice area so not quite the same as someone on less money with debts and little financial security.
    True - that's now. When I was offered a chance to go work in Dubai several years ago, I was in a much smaller home and earning £20k less than I do now.

Just because I earn well doesn't mean I haven't got a giant mortgage I'd also like to pay off quicker. I'm also surrounded by family who earn triple, to 5 times my salary. There's a fair bit of pressure to 'fit in with the family'.
  • Jackieboy
    Jackieboy Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    True - that's now. When I was offered a chance to go work in Dubai several years ago, I was in a much smaller home and earning £20k less than I do now.

Just because I earn well doesn't mean I haven't got a giant mortgage I'd also like to pay off quicker. I'm also surrounded by family who earn triple, to 5 times my salary. There's a fair bit of pressure to 'fit in with the family'.

Point taken, although long term work in Dubai is rather different from what's being suggested here.
  • [Deleted User]
    Holiday Haggler
    edited 14 October 2016 at 11:35AM
    Jackieboy wrote: »
    Point taken, although long term work in Dubai is rather different from what's being suggested here.
    It wasn't actually going to be long term..2 weeks there, 2 weeks here, working in their hours when I was at home.. The people I know that did this ended up eventually moving there for 2 years, but they took their families.

I could go contracting in my line of work, and up my salary by £30-50k. That would make a massive, significant change to our lives, as it would with most people. It's not worth the relationship problems it would bring, the difficulty in childcare, the stress it would take - but that's all my circumstances. Doesn't mean it won't suit other people. My BIL use to travel constantly, and it's been superb for his career; his family have been fine with it.
  • AndyBSG
    AndyBSG Posts: 986 Forumite
    I've done it in the past and would do it again.

If your husband works 9 to 5 and has commuting times as well then chances are he only sees the kids for an hour or two those 5 days a week as it is.

So, the real question is if he's currently paid 25K and the new job is 50K then is 10 hours a week with the kids worth 25K a year? Which of those two things is going to benefit the children more in the long run?
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    You might find it helpful to monitor for the next week or so what the two of you actually do - e.g how much time does he spend with the childnre, how much do you rely on being able to spend time with each other to help you de-stress after the day, what other support do you have?

Also think about practuicalities for if he were working away. I don't know how old your children are, but you coul think about things such as using Sykpe or the equivalend t so he could read bdtime stories, or help with homework, even when he is away.

As well as the obvious issue with you having more responsbility and adult company in the week, think about how the change might make differences to your relationship. I know from talking to a riend whose husband had to start working away that one of thigs which they had not anticipated, and which did take a bit of discussion and adjustment, was that while he was away, there were things she had to deal with which would normally have been his responsbility, or which he had alway done in one way, and there were things where she took decisions and made minor changes to things aroud the house.

She said that for her, it didn't feel like a big deal, but or him, coming back and finding changes, it was quite difficult and he felt a bit sidelined, or that the changes were things she should have waited and done with him. (They were all quite small things, and mostly done for very practical reasons, like rearranging some storage becuase she couldn't reach, for instnace) but the net efect was that he was coming back and finding changes in his home, and changes to routines becuase she had haad to take over stuf he'd previously done.

She said that they did have a couple of rows about as, to her, if felt as though he wasn't there and then came back and was unreasonable and critical. She said that with hind sight they were both dealing with empotional reactions to the spearation and the changes it brought, but said that it might have been easier if theyd ben more aware of that beforehand. She said one thing which hlped was that she started to make a point of telling him about changes even if they were very trivial ones, so he was included and knew before he got home that things would have slightly changed.

I'm sure that each couplewould have diferent things which might trip them up, and that the impact would be less if you were only apart for the week, not for longer periods, but it is worth bearing in mind.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Why don't you try it for a week with him moving to a cheap hotel and not coming home till the Friday night?

Not a complete comparison but would give a better insight on how things may work for both parties?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure