Bradford and Bingley Interest rates

Hi

My wife recently opened a Bradford and Bingley Internet Saver 2 account after seeing it on this site as one of the recommended esaver accounts. Her interest rate after tax should be 4.78% per month. On the £40000 she invested she calculated this to be £191 but her first full month of interest earned just £163. My wife calculated the interest by simply multipying 40000 x 4.78% to get £191. When she rang the bank they said the formula should be £40000 x 4.78 divided by 365 and then multiplied by the days in the month. This calculation does actually work out to £163 which is what they have paid.

Have we just been a bit thick with our calculations and is this the way all banks calculate interest or should we move to a better account?

Comments

• Meltdown_2
    Meltdown_2 Posts: 471 Forumite
    First Post
    barryd999 wrote: »
    Her interest rate after tax should be 4.78% per month.
    Er, seems highly unlikely ... That would equate to a very high annual rate (AER).
    On the £40,000 she invested she calculated this to be £191 but her first full month of interest earned just £163.
    My wife calculated the interest by simply multiplying £40,000 x 4.78% to get £191.
    Doing that calculation, she should have got £1912. (4.78%=0.0478)
    When she rang the bank they said the formula should be £40,000 x 4.78 divided by 365 and then multiplied by the days in the month.
    Well, no ... Not unless they said 4.78% or 4.78/100; and if they did, then 4.78% is an annual net rate, not a monthly net rate.
    This calculation does actually work out to £163 which is what they have paid.
    If you take the number of days in the month to be 31 (are we talking about March?) then you would get £162.39 - if you have been paid £163 then they have rounded it up somewhat.
    Have we just been a bit thick with our calculations
    'not familiar with the terminology and methods' would be a better way of putting it ...
    and is this the way all banks calculate interest or should we move to a better account?
    Most (all?) banks calculate interest on a daily basis (it makes their lives easier), and then pay it at (or towards) the end of the month (or year, depending on the account).
    I would expect this to be specified somewhere in the account T&C (Terms & Conditions).
    Imprudent granting of credit is bound to prove just as ruinous to a bank as to any other merchant.
    (Ludwig von Mises)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport