ASDA Mobile Ditches Vodafone for EE

Comments

• Scrounger
    Scrounger Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You could try getpoundsback to cash in your payg credit:
    Our Mobile Phone PAYG Cashback Service can be used to cash in credit from any type of PAYG SIM card...

Scrounger
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    cashbag wrote: »
    Well - you lose your remaining credit at anytime you voluntarily move to a new provider if you want to take your number with you.
    It's not voluntary if ASDA switches to a network with deteriorating coverage, which might no longer provide coverage in the places where the customer spends most time, e.g. home or work. The customer has no choice but to move.
  • Hi cashbag,
    like what you say, chimes completely with my view.
    Have you a similar problem with paying standing charges on power, or line rental for phones. Have you noticed that we poor, pensioners and low energy users are getting hammered all of a sudden?
    As I read the t&c's, it is only if I leave asda that the credit disappears. But they are leaving me!
  • cashbag
    cashbag Posts: 127 Forumite
    With you there oldandgrumpy. Spent last winter shivering both with cold & fear! Afraid to turn on the heating. Now suppliers have nearly all gone over to a standing charge it seems we'll be paying just to stay cold!!
  • jrawle
    jrawle Posts: 603 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Scrounger wrote: »
    You could try getpoundsback to cash in your payg credit:
    It doesn't mention ASDA anywhere, though.
    ...any type of PAYG SIM card, whether it's O2, Orange, 3, T-Mobile, Vodafone, Virgin or Tesco Mobile.
    Have you used it with ASDA Mobile? Also, it only pays £6.50 max per £10 of credit.
  • cashbag
    If you only get £6.50 for £10 (& it indicates you have to wait quite a while for the cash - no doubt they hope some people will forget about it anyway & maybe never even get the payout) then I would sooner give it all to charity. been researching this charity angle as I had some SIM cards with odd bits of money left on them (from old handsets on various networks) & I sent the dregs off to charity.

Interestingly Vodafone are supporting a scheme where it costs you NOTHING to donate (no matter what network you are with) so with £2.03 on one I was able to send the £2 to RNLI. The charity receives the whole of the payment with no deductions this way & you can also help them get the tax back on your donation. Way better than letting ASDA/Wal-mart profit! Other charities accept text donations of course - eg the Poppy Appeal where you can send £3, of which they get £2.92, but you pay for the text.

Would be a nice gesture if ASDA gave this way of "losing" your money some prominence on their publicity!

As yet no response to my email to them. Am I surprised?
  • cashbag
    Got the expected bog standard "we haven't actually read your email" kind of response

Thanks for your email with regards to the new Asda mobile network.
    I’m sorry you’re unhappy with the decision to switch to EE. Although we’re launching our new EE network on the 28th October you have until the end of April 2014 to think about your options.
    I’m afraid we are unable to transfer or refund any remaining credit which is why we have provided customers with 6 months notice. You do have until the end of April 2014 to use the remaining credit and to make any informed decision. Should you wish to remain with the current provider they will be contacting you in due course.
    If I can help with anything else please call me or one of my colleagues on 0800 952 0393. Thanks again for getting in touch.
    Kind regards
    Rachel Nicholson
    Asda Mobile Team
    Rachel Nicholson, Customer Service Team
    Home Office Contact Centre ,The Mint

Tel: 0800 952 0101
    Ext: 66400
    Email: [EMAIL="scott.williams@asda.co.uk"]rachel.nicholson@asda.co.uk[/EMAIL]
    ASDA saving you money every day *

*Signing off with the corporate slogan is a bit of a laugh!!
  • stampede
    stampede Posts: 240 Forumite
    jrawle wrote: »
    It doesn't mention ASDA anywhere, though.

Have you used it with ASDA Mobile? Also, it only pays £6.50 max per £10 of credit.

When I cashed in my Tesco credit, I was told it would come through as O2 so I presume it will register as Vodafone.

If you are not sure, ask, as they usually reply quite quickly.
  • jrawle
    jrawle Posts: 603 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    cashbag wrote: »
    I’m afraid we are unable to transfer or refund any remaining credit which is why we have provided customers with 6 months notice. You do have until the end of April 2014 to use the remaining credit and to make any informed decision. Should you wish to remain with the current provider they will be contacting you in due course.
    Should you wish to remain with the current provider, i.e. Vodafone. That implies there's an option to switch to Vodafone. But would that also allow you to keep the credit? While Vodafone's PAYG offering is not very good value, for my purposes I don't really care about the cost of calls or texts. How will they contact you in due course? To all ASDA Mobile customers, by text or e-mail, or only to you becasue you have raised a query?
  • cashbag
    Should you wish to remain with the current provider, i.e. Vodafone. That implies there's an option to switch to Vodafone.

Yes - slightly ambiguous wording & in a further email to them I did not draw attention to this, but it is a nugget worth storing as possible ammunition in a "misleading information" scenario. If I could use the credit as a Vodafone customer it also would not matter to me either - cost of calls is irrelevant if they are few & far between & major usage likely to be due to an emergency situation when cost is not a factor.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure