ISA transfer - does the interest transfer too, or just original £3000?

Sorry if this is a stoopid question, I'm new to ISA's.

I just wanted to confirm, that the interest compounds within the ISA account? I am sure I had read this when I signed up (and that this was kind of the point of the ISA!) but someone told me today that this wasn't the case, and the interest transfers out to your nominated account. I am looking at an Icesave ISA. However my friend's is with Nationwide, so perhaps its just different for each?

Also, if you transfer the ISA, does the interest transfer too, or can you only transfer the original amount ie £3000?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The interested is usually credited to your ISA account, I think 99% of the time it will be credited to your ISA account.

If you transfer the money will be the total inc interest :)
  • Thanks!!:D
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    often you can choose whether to have the interest reinvested or paid out.. it depends upon the particular product

if you transfer it, then the total value, capital and interest will be transferrred.
  • King_Weasel
    King_Weasel Posts: 4,381 Forumite
    I just wanted to confirm, that the interest compounds within the ISA account? I am sure I had read this when I signed up (and that this was kind of the point of the ISA!

Just to clarify: compounding isn't really the point of ISAs - any savings account, ISA or not, will pay interest on the interest if you leave it there. The point of ISAs is that the interest isn't taxed. (And a second point is that you don't have to mention them anywhere on your tax return.)
    However hard up you are, never accept loans from your friends. Just gifts
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport