ESA and Prescription charges

Comments

• Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,274 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 19 November 2017 at 4:28AM
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    How many times does this one come up? I do wish CPNs, doctors' receptionists etc would stop giving advice when they have no idea what benefits their patient receives. Yes it's down to the claimant to ensure they tick the right box, but they have taken the 'advice' of a 'professional' and are now suffering the consequences.
    I would suggest in this situation that the OP might stand some chance of getting the fine element overturned if the CPN would confirm in writing that they told the OP they wouldn't have to pay for prescriptions.

When I was on ESA a few years ago my dentist (not the receptionist:)) wouldn't give me free treatment until she'd seen my award letter. She knew the difference between income related and contribution claims. I suspect she is unusual, she is also a brilliant dentist. I do sympathise with the OP because when I was on JSA before my ESA claim I had no idea that two types of benefit existed and it was never explained to me by the JC. Perhaps the award letters could explain briefly what the differences are in practical terms.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Ames wrote: »
    I really do think NHSBSA should send a memo out telling people not to give out advice about exemptions. There are so many threads on here about it.

I agree with others, OP - try and get the CPN to confirm that they gave the wrong information. Hopefully they won't go telling other people wrong information.

As an aside, have you made sure you're getting the right ESA and that you're not entitled to income based? Are you getting all other benefits you're entitled to? If you're not sure there are benefits checkers at turn2us and entitledto.

In Scotland there’s a poster that is supposed to be on display in every NHS dentist and opticians highlighting which benefits give you free or reduced treatment. I say “supposed to be” as in some places it is wheeled out every 3 years for the NHS visit then put away as it’s not a head office publication so not approved to be on display year round (this was the excuse used by two different chains who employed me).
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    No they don't, they recieve PIP. Totally different.

See post 12
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    edited 19 November 2017 at 3:16PM
    I wonder if it's something MSE or Martin Lewis could highlight?

I've just filled in the 'tell us about a news story' form on the main site, although since it's not my story they probably won't reply.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Ring and ask if you can apply for nhs dental treatment on low income grounds. If your only income is from benefits and you don’t have any savings you may yet quilify.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    dippy3103 wrote: »
    Ring and ask if you can apply for nhs dental treatment on low income grounds. If your only income is from benefits and you don’t have any savings you may yet quilify.

It would depend on household income, not just that of the OP. Outgoings are also part of the decision - someone only claiming benefits but living with parents and so no rent or bills to pay might not qualify on low income.

Of course the OP may well qualify, we don't have enough info. It's one of several avenues for them to explore.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Ames wrote: »
    It would depend on household income, not just that of the OP. Outgoings are also part of the decision - someone only claiming benefits but living with parents and so no rent or bills to pay might not qualify on low income.

Of course the OP may well qualify, we don't have enough info. It's one of several avenues for them to explore.

That’s why I said may qualify..
  • epitome
    epitome Posts: 3,199 Forumite
    First phone ESA and ask what you are getting, is there no esa ir or is esa ir being reduced by other income?

Then tell us what your circumstances are why you can't get esa ir?

How long you been on ESA? Did you come to esa from IB ?

Then apply for an HC1 backdated

Then appeal the NHS charges and fines, giving evidence as per tellit's suggestion.
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    do You have a medical issue to qualify for the medical exemption card just for prescriptions.

Also I would complete the hc1 form. You could get help towards dentist, prescriptions, glasses and wigs if needed.

To be fair most people would know what type of esa they would be on and check what qualifies for exemption also I belive it’s wrotten on the back of the prescription form what type.
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• RickPullar
    RickPullar Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 22 November 2017 at 12:53PM
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories