MSE Poll: Have you had a pay rise in the last year?

Former_MSE_Karl
Former_MSE_Karl Posts: 175 Forumite
First Post I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Best Buy Bear
edited 24 October 2017 at 3:11PM in MoneySaving polls
Poll started 24 October 2017

Have you had a pay rise in the last year?

The Consumer Prices Index, a key measure of UK inflation, hit 3% in September - the highest it's been since March 2012.

So with living costs shooting upwards we wanted to know if your salary (excluding bonuses and assuming you're in work) has kept up with the rate of inflation.

Have you had a pay rise (or if self-employed awarded yourself one) in the last year?

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks! :)

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I am fortunate that I now get a "rise" based on the triple lock. I have been fortunate enough to receive this for the last few years. However before that I was subject to one £250 increase in a period of seven years. So forgive me if I don't seem to be as sympathetic as I may have been say 20 years ago.
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    I am retired early on a fixed income so I don't fit your profiling.
    I will not get a rise until I'm 67 when the state pension kicks in so 22 years of the same monthly income being worth less and less each month as prices keep on rising.

Just saying, not complaining, I knew what I was doing when I decided to retire early, a lot of planning went into it and I would not go back to work again now :D
  • So why isn’t a 6% rise really a rise at all?

Well in only 1 of the last 10 years has the company I work for increased the pay ranges for the different grades for its jobs. The 1 year they were increased this only happened as they bought out paying any bonuses and hence put the ace directly into pay, I’d argue this to be a good thing but others I work with disagree.

Each year if your performance has been successful you are eligible for a pay rise. This rise is dependent on where you are 8n the pay scale, so if say less than 90% of what is called reference then this led to me getting a rise this year of 6%. However if I get a promotion I will just move to the bottom the pay scale for that grade, WHICH MEANS PAY HAS INLY INCREASED ONCE IN 10 YEARS. It’s for this reason that this poll WILL NOT provide a true set of results.

This policy is the 1 thing that I raise 8n each years staff satisfaction survey as I really think it is the wrong policy. This is bacause those that have been doing the job for many years and have managed to get their pay to over the reference point and have done a good job still often get no raise or just 0.25%
  • How should a pay-rise engineered by moving job be counted?
  • Mr_Mann
    Mr_Mann Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    For those of us unfit for work ESA has been frozen at £109 / £115 per week since 2014 and will remain frozen for years to come. So NO no rise in income only expenses like council tax !
  • AubreyMac
    AubreyMac Posts: 1,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Only by 1% (public sector).
    My only saving grace is that I can still go up in my scale but once I hit the top I'm not sure what I'll do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure