Ebay first line of address missing!

Options
Hi all,

Earlier in the week i had a couple of sales where the first line of address was missing, i.e. i got the paypal payment email with "Confirmed Address" but after the buyers name it was the road name. I had to contact the buyers to get the correct address and presumed they had typed it it wrong.

But then i had a couple of items arrive to me without my house name, fortunately the postman knows us quite well so he knows where to bring things from my name.

Seems like another ebay issue and quite a serious one. If an item goes missing and ebay have passed the address to the seller incorrectly, the seller will be liable but it is ebay's fault!

Anyone else seen this?

Thanks,

Gary.

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    Options
    I'm afraid it's been going on for years.

Ultimately it is up to the seller to make sure they have the correct address. I run every single address through a validator.
  • Pun
    Pun Posts: 740 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'm afraid it's been going on for years.

Ultimately it is up to the seller to make sure they have the correct address. I run every single address through a validator.

I thought the seller's responsibility was to send to the address confirmed by ebay if they wanted the benefit of seller protection...?
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Pun wrote: »
    I thought the seller's responsibility was to send to the address confirmed by ebay if they wanted the benefit of seller protection...?

Would you send to an invalid address just to abide by seller protection? You lose the item and cannot prove delivery.
  • ballisticbrian
    Options

That's not really relevant to addresses that are wrong. Shirk checking addresses for bloopers and you'll end up paying the price.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • Pun
    Pun Posts: 740 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    What happens if the buyer provides an address with a wholly different postcode from the one shown on the incomplete ebay address? Do you have seller protection if you send to that, please?
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Pun wrote: »
    What happens if the buyer provides an address with a wholly different postcode from the one shown on the incomplete ebay address? Do you have seller protection if you send to that, please?

If the address provided on the transaction is invalid you can either ask the buyer to correct it or you can cancel the sale. You have to decide if you want to risk any seller protection. I would prefer to never risk sending the item to an non existent/invalid address.
  • southerly
    Options
    Yes I had one recently the same, the house number was missing so I had to ask the buyer. There was a delay before they replied, I wasn't sure whether to cancel the sale or have an 'overdue' dispatch. They had low feedback but had bought a few items before so I can't understand how they didn't seem aware when I told them it was missing from their ebay & paypal address, so how had the other sellers sent their items?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure